Opinion Other then your team who has the best song?

Who has the best team song?

• Adelaide

• Brisbane

• Carlton

• Collingwood

• Essendon

• Fremantle

• Geelong

• Gold Coast Suns

• GWS Giants

• Hawthorn

• Melbourne

• North Melbourne

• Port Adelaide

• Richmond

• St Kilda

• Sydney

• West Coast

• Bulldogs

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

MrDanggazz

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Without voting for your own team who has the best team song?

Any songs you feel are underrated or overrated? What are your personal favourites? Discuss below after voting!

Last edited:

Richmond, Port Adelaide, Melbourne and GWS are my favourites, they always gets stuck in my head whenever I hear them.

Worst by far are West Coast, Fremantle and St Kilda.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a predictable take, Richmond's is the best. It's bouncy, it's triumphant, and it has the traditions of shouting 'hey!' and 'yellow and black!' Neither of these are called for in the actual recording but they create great atmosphere. It's hard to describe, but those brass instruments at the very beginning sound great when they suddenly burst into the air of a crowded, echoing MCG. The song seems to grab you by the throat when it starts like that.

The Giants' is a very close second. It's really grown on me in recent years. The tune is very catchy and it simply feels like a football song, the kind of song you sing when trying to intimidate your opponents or rub in a victory. It sounds 'right'.

Sydney's song is a close third. The way the melody rises and falls is pleasing to the ear, and I like the old-fashioned lyrics such as 'honour the name' and 'onward to victory'.

In an unpopular opinion, I really liked West Coast's song when it had 'Hey Eagles, we're flying hiiiiiiiiigh' at the beginning. It was silly in a fun way. It actually sounded great when sung by a crowd of happy supporters.

The version of our song played after the 1997 and 1998 grand finals was bouncy and triumphant, but the current version is flavourless. The 1997 version is notoriously difficult to track down. Someone made a Youtube video by taking the GF broadcast audio and artificially reducing the crowd noise - there is literally no standalone recording out there.

Last edited:
In a predictable take, Richmond's is the best. It's bouncy, it's triumphant, and it has the traditions of shouting 'hey!' and 'yellow and black!' Neither of these are called for in the actual recording but they create great atmosphere. It's hard to describe, but those brass instruments at the very beginning sound great when they suddenly burst into the air of a crowded, echoing MCG. The song seems to grab you by the throat when it starts like that.

The Giants' is a very close second. It's really grown on me in recent years. The tune is very catchy and it simply feels like a football song, the kind of song you sing when trying to intimidate your opponents or rub in a victory. It sounds 'right'.

Sydney's song is a close third. The way the melody rises and falls is pleasing to the ear, and I like the old-fashioned lyrics such as 'honour the name' and 'onward to victory'.

In an unpopular opinion, I really liked West Coast's song when it had 'Hey Eagles, we're flying hiiiiiiiiigh' at the beginning. It was silly in a fun way. It actually sounded great when sung by a crowd of happy supporters.

The version of our song played after the 1997 and 1998 grand finals was bouncy and triumphant, but the current version is flavourless. The 1997 version is notoriously difficult to track down. Someone made a Youtube video by taking the GF broadcast audio and artificially reducing the crowd noise - there is literally no standalone recording out there.
I remember around that time you could get the Port and Crows theme songs on a cd. I think both charted on rage back then.

I did a search on eBay and you can get the Adelaide theme song on a cd single. It might be the version you are after

I voted for Sydney’s song and I really like it, but I also like Giants, Hawks, and probably the Brisbane song. Love the Hawks reference to one for all and all for one.

Next level down Collingwood, and Bulldogs, and possibly Bombers songs. Bulldogs could fix up the bit where they have the bulldog roaring, bulldogs don’t roar. Bombers could have something about an air raid on crap cities like Geelong and Sydney. 😁. Collingwood might like to review the bit about the premiership being a cakewalk, that is way out of date. 😁

Melbourne song needs some work with that auld lang syne crap in it, wtf is that all about?

Geelong needs a whole new set of lyrics, something about banners flying all day long, and playing the game as it should be played. Bugger that, you want something about crushing your opposition or fighting like mad in there, and the salary cap seeming to go further than it does for other clubs. 🤣

Carlton North and Saints same, decent tunes, need new lyrics that make the songs sound like they are about football, maybe with some references to struggling in there. 🤣

Gold Coast is a dead set abortion. You could play 400 games there and still never remember that song.

Eagles great start with the didgery but then seems to go nowhere, redo with the start the same but a better story in there and a more attention grabbing tune. Something about Eagles swooping on a flag might be good.

Port, stop stop stopping and drop drop dropping has to go, that is rubbish, fmd. The references to tradition sound like they have been forced into the song with a shoe-horn too. No need for that, something like but not exactly “Port Adelaide of old” would be more subtle and go better. I say not exactly this because we already have the “Tigers of old."

Crows also needs new lyrics to make it sound like it is about a football team not a whole state with a chip on its shoulder.

Fremantle sounds like some sort of British Christmas cum Pirate song. Just no. A single reference to the docks would be fine, the whole song doesn’t have to be about that.

Last edited:
I was at Melbourne vs Sydney last friday and thought to myself when they ran out that these are two of the best club songs.

I also love Adelaide's and the Essendon's
Essendon's? Must be 10 years or more since I even Hird that song... Which means 2 things, I only watch Richmond games (still be ten years or more I reckon), or Essendon't just dont win enough for me ever to stick around watching to the final siren.

Essendon's? Must be 10 years or more since I even Hird that song... Which means 2 things, I only watch Richmond games (still be ten years or more I reckon), or Essendon't just dont win enough for me ever to stick around watching to the final siren.
Essendon’s song is unreal. Let’s be real, I don’t think we want to hear it any more than we do, but on the occasions we hear it - it’s a treat

Back