What other club has the most exciting situation right now?

hutchy31

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The final last night wasn’t the best game, but the pies are incredibly watchable. I’m in a bit of a funk when it comes to my/our club and our current situation, and I was thinking about what other club’s supporters might be having better, more positive experiences.

I’m sure similar threads have been here or on the MB previously, but just as of right now what situation are you envious of and/or look on with admiration at?

Pies are great to watch right now, and Freo looks to have a great young core. Sydney’s list is pretty solid, and I like the way they play. Geelong look strong but I can’t bring myself to look at them like that. GC have some good and likeable players, but I can’t see them achieving or sustaining any real level of success. Tigers are coming to the end of an era and seem to be refreshing well, but I don’t like them much either. North are in a rut but can their young core and maybe a refreshed Clarko have them climbing the ladder in a couple of years?

I think it’s a toss-up between Freo and Sydney for me, if I try and ignore the salty swans fans. I think they’ll be in contention for a while and there’s a lot to like there.

Some of you may bring your own bias or baggage to this (you can’t get past your disdain for some opposition clubs so won’t even entertain them) and fair enough 😀. But interested to hear how people are assessing other teams and their near future.

Bald

Premium Gold
Apr 5, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
For teams in the finals it's Sydney and Collingwood, it's a pity they play each other next weekend, with no chance to play the following weekend.

Outside of the finals race though, I really am excited to see the moves of North Melbourne, more specifically off-field than on it.

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Sydney. Chad Warner and Errol Gulden are both absolute champions in the making. Freo's also got elite young talent that will only get better over the next few years.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Pies will be interesting to watch how it plays out. We know first hand what’s possible when you get full buy in & relentless pressure but the hard part is maintaining that. Similar things were said about us & Bev in 15/16 and we all thought we were on for a dynasty, eventually that flame dies out and you need a little bit more strings to your bow for sustained success.

Overall they lack young talent and overall top end talent through the midfield & forward of the ball, and they didn’t really get any (Daicos aside) when they bottomed out - no doubt they can win it all this year and that’d be an incredible result even if they don’t they’ve had an incredible year and you’d love to be a pies supporter right now. But will it last when the shine wears off a bit?

Sydney IMO are the most well setup for sustained success, Freo possibly but need to sort out the forward line. Other than that? I’m more than comfortable with our list for the future and how it compares with the rest

CDBulldog

All Australian
Mar 31, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I genuinely think we have the best young (25 and under) talent in the comp. Terribly let down by a poor gameplan

No coincidence that Swans and Freo I'm particularly set up super well behind the ball.
Freo struggle going forward (scored 100 only 4 times all year...although, that in itself tells you something about a top 4 finish).

Collingwood are the interesting one to me.
Solid backline players rather than system.
Love to go fast and through the middle, confident that if they turn it over then they'll be ok. *
But still only scored 100 in 3 games, and none since rd. 7.
Moore, Howe, Quaynor, Crisp/Maynard are all "footballers" first, rather than system.
They don't protect their backline, but trust them to make good decisions when required.

We beat them in contested possession, contested marks! Inside 50's.
Marks I50 (we're top 4!!).
But they R50 like bosses. (Interestingly, so do Richmond now I look...)

We seem to like a "stopper" [Gards, Keith, Zaine], and an "attacker" [CD, JJ, BD], where-as a couple of hybrids could well be the better option. (Easier said than done of course).

Another interesting thing to me is that I've said all year that we lack pace...
Turns out neither Freo nor Collingwood exactly have that in Spades either.

Maybe "natural footballer" is an awful cliche, but just maybe "they" are more important than plugging specific holes.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The Pies are exciting but I wonder if having such a good season so quickly might hinder them. Another very high draft pick would really set them up. Much tougher draw next year as well.

Philthy1

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Sydney for me, the group of young players coming through is under estimated. Collingwood grabbing all the headlines takes attention away.

Ash1337

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2009
Albany
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Sydney. Great mix of young and old. They're playing a game that suffocates other teams.

I look at pies and think they're going to get stitched up next year. Freo are capable of improving to a real threat for years over them. Geelong may have improved how they play but they're still 1 retirement away from dropping off.

DueWest

Team Captain
Jul 31, 2021
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We have a great list at the right age but the bottom 5 or 6 of our best 22 leave a lot to be desired.

Will be exposed further if JJ goes and West doesn’t re-sign and god forbid we give Martin another year ( retirement hasn’t been announced yet ?)

As for up and coming sides outside of 8 in 2022 with a chance to make the 8 in 2023, Gold Coast is my tip and Carltank.

Sydney. Chad Warner and Errol Gulden are both absolute champions in the making. Freo's also got elite young talent that will only get better over the next few years.
Who is their list manager / recruiter again?.....

Foxman98

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I expect Pies to drop off next year. Harder draw and teams will put more time into stopping their game which I think can be countered quite easily. As an expected lower team this season I don't think many teams would have done a heap of work on them for this year until well through the season.
Also look at Port this year statistically you don't win the amount of games by under 10 they have 2 years in a row

AFDogs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I still think we have the most exciting list.

Freo are looking great. Collingwood have obviously turned things around since the salary cap debacle. Sydney have set themselves up to be a powerhouse for a few years to come.

North are 3-4 years away but will be amazing once those high draft picks start coming along.

I don't see any optimism in the future lists of Hawks, Adelaide, West Coast, GWS and St Kilda.

Oct 4, 2004
Essendon
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
MAN U/BROOKLYN NETS
Swans are a well drilled team and they are well organised

We will know more about Collingwood next year BUT no reason they cannot win it this year.

Both have very good assistant coaches Pyke, Bolton and Leppitch and they are also well set up in football department with G.Wright and Beatson looking after recruiting and list management who are good operators.

Jeff 1975

Club Legend
Mar 29, 2018
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I like Geelong, I don’t think you will see any backing off the mark with them, full on pressure
Collingwood are looking good, running forward, creating with speed on the outside
You need that, Collingwood have been freed with the new coach similar to us with Bevo in his first year or two
Accountability is good, but too much is not, Bevo has too much similar to the replaced Buckley
Sydney just kept on keeping on, must be a chance, look for the big guy
The Lions have players coming back, must be a chance, look for Daniher
For me I can’t go past Geelong ahead of Collingwood

CDBulldog

All Australian
Mar 31, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Flip the question on its head and who has the worst list - I’d go with West Coast. They are toast for years ahead.

Mantis Toboggan

Premiership Player
Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I like Geelong, I don’t think you will see any backing off the mark with them, full on pressure
Collingwood are looking good, running forward, creating with speed on the outside
You need that, Collingwood have been freed with the new coach similar to us with Bevo in his first year or two
Accountability is good, but too much is not, Bevo has too much similar to the replaced Buckley
Sydney just kept on keeping on, must be a chance, look for the big guy
The Lions have players coming back, must be a chance, look for Daniher
For me I can’t go past Geelong ahead of Collingwood
Funny isn’t it. So many people have been adamant Geelong are going off a cliff the last couple of years. People were actually laughing at them. And here they are still competing.

bobs head soup

Peanuts Peanuts
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Although we certainly have our issues, I still think our position is better than most.

Here is a little table that gives cause for optimism;

Players 30 or older in each finals team (week one);

Geelong - 10
Richmond - 6
Collingwood - 5
Melbourne - 4
Sydney - 4
Brisbane - 3
Freo - 2
Dogs - 1

Our sole player in the 30s was Keath who is exactly 30.

As for the other teams, who gives a *****.

Back