Draft Expert Davo-27's 2022 u18 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
small/medium forwards i like for the next 2 years

Harry Sheezel - Sandringham - 13 gms 31.24 20d 3.5m 3.5t (kicked 6 goals in 3 games so far at the champs)
Brandon Leary - Tasmania - 14 gms 33.22 12.5d 3.5m 3t (speed) (kicked 5 goals in 2 games for the Allies at champs, is a 19 yr old who didnt play last yr)
Brady Wright - GWV - 12 gms 23.8 9d 4m 1t (has not played any rep footy and not on the draft radar, but i liked how skillful he was early in the year)
Jacob Konstanty - Gippsland - 14 gms 17.13 15d 3m 6t (kicked 3 goals in 2 games at the champs so far)
Brayden George - Murray - 8 gms 18.12 9d 3m 1t (got injured prior to champs, then returned and did an ACL)
*edit in * Charlie Clarke - Sandringham - 14gms 29.19 19.5d 3.5m 3.5t
Anthony Munkara - NT/West Adel - 2 gms 6.1 11d 1.5m 4t (looked great in pre-season, had a great game against Coll VFL, then went off the radar, moves like a Rioli, funny highlight of him throwing off a Collingwood tackler in the VFL game)
Shadeau Brain - Bris A/Allies - 2 gms 2 goals for Bris A V NAB League teams (reminds me of how Noah Cumberland burst on the scene for the Allies from Bris A was a revelation as a forward/flanker/mid for the Allies kicking 3 goals in 3 games could be an interesting prospect)
Toby McMullin - Sandringham/Vic Country - 6 gms 2.2 10d 2m 1.5t (2 goals in 2 games for vic country, looked an interesting prospect)

Chad Reschke - Sturt - 17 gms 68.22 9d 5m(2cm) 1t (medium sized forward who kicked 68 goals in the u18s and kicked 3 goals in 1 reserves sanfl game)
Zane Duursma - Gippsland - 14 gms 31.21 15.5d 4m 2.5t (kicked 2 goals in 2 champs games so far)
Logan Morris - Western - 14 gms 31.14 8d 4m 1t (is in the VM squad)
Ashton Moir - Glenlg - 10 gms 30.17 16d 5.5m 2.5t (kicked 4 goals in 2 games at the champs)
Koltyn Tholstrup - Subiaco - 12 gms 24.14 15d 4m 2.5t (kicked 1 goal in the champs but was 1 of WA's best players throughout)
Jack Delean - Sth Adel - 16 gms 28.22 13d 3m 3t (kicked 2 goals in 3 games in the champs)
George Stevens - GWV - Injured, but looked good last year for Vic Country
Nick Watson - Eastern - 7 gms 18.12 12d 2.5m 2.5t (kicked 4 goals in 2 games at the champs)
Jack Callinan - Tasmania - 15 gms 21.7 15d 4m 2t

here is Chad Reschke hudl for anyone who wants to see how he plays

Last edited:

small/medium forwards i like for the next 2 years

Harry Sheezel - Sandringham - 13 gms 31.24 20d 3.5m 3.5t (kicked 6 goals in 3 games so far at the champs)
Brandon Leary - Tasmania - 14 gms 33.22 12.5d 3.5m 3t (speed) (kicked 5 goals in 2 games for the Allies at champs, is a 19 yr old who didnt play last yr)
Brady Wright - GWV - 12 gms 23.8 9d 4m 1t (has not played any rep footy and not on the draft radar, but i liked how skillful he was early in the year)
Jacob Konstanty - Gippsland - 14 gms 17.13 15d 3m 6t (kicked 3 goals in 2 games at the champs so far)
Brayden George - Murray - 8 gms 18.12 9d 3m 1t (got injured prior to champs, then returned and did an ACL)
*edit in * Charlie Clarke - Sandringham - 14gms 29.19 19.5d 3.5m 3.5t
Anthony Munkara - NT/West Adel - 2 gms 6.1 11d 1.5m 4t (looked great in pre-season, had a great game against Coll VFL, then went off the radar, moves like a Rioli, funny highlight of him throwing off a Collingwood tackler in the VFL game)
Shadeau Brain - Bris A/Allies - 2 gms 2 goals for Bris A V NAB League teams (reminds me of how Noah Cumberland burst on the scene for the Allies from Bris A was a revelation as a forward/flanker/mid for the Allies kicking 3 goals in 3 games could be an interesting prospect)
Toby McMullin - Sandringham/Vic Country - 6 gms 2.2 10d 2m 1.5t (2 goals in 2 games for vic country, looked an interesting prospect)

Chad Reschke - Sturt - 17 gms 68.22 9d 5m(2cm) 1t (medium sized forward who kicked 68 goals in the u18s and kicked 3 goals in 1 reserves sanfl game)
Zane Duursma - Gippsland - 14 gms 31.21 15.5d 4m 2.5t (kicked 2 goals in 2 champs games so far)
Logan Morris - Western - 14 gms 31.14 8d 4m 1t (is in the VM squad)
Ashton Moir - Glenlg - 10 gms 30.17 16d 5.5m 2.5t (kicked 4 goals in 2 games at the champs)
Koltyn Tholstrup - Subiaco - 12 gms 24.14 15d 4m 2.5t (kicked 1 goal in the champs but was 1 of WA's best players throughout)
Jack Delean - Sth Adel - 16 gms 28.22 13d 3m 3t (kicked 2 goals in 3 games in the champs)
George Stevens - GWV - Injured, but looked good last year for Vic Country
Nick Watson - Eastern - 7 gms 18.12 12d 2.5m 2.5t (kicked 4 goals in 2 games at the champs)
Jack Callinan - Tasmania - 15 gms 21.7 15d 4m 2t

here is Chad Reschke hudl for anyone who wants to see how he plays

Do you rate Sam Letreille?

Where do you believe they most likely succeed at afl level?

Small forward/half forward or midfield.

Darcy Jones will probably become an outside mid with stints inside, he is a under-rated wing/midfielder

Jake Rogers is a good midfielder, he could play inside and maybe on a flank, he plays both roles well

neither of them are goal kicking forwards or pressure forwards, but they could play there if a team already has an established midfield until they establish themselves.

Darcy Jones will probably become an outside mid with stints inside, he is a under-rated wing/midfielder

Jake Rogers is a good midfielder, he could play inside and maybe on a flank, he plays both roles well

neither of them are goal kicking forwards or pressure forwards, but they could play there if a team already has an established midfield until they establish themselves.
Mate, I think we might be seeing the dying embers of the 177cm and less AFL player. Even Barry Cable wouldn't get drafted today. Sad in a way. I used to poke fun at basketball for being height elitist....now here we are in Aussie rules.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate, I think we might be seeing the dying embers of the 177cm and less AFL player. Even Barry Cable wouldn't get drafted today. Sad in a way. I used to poke fun at basketball for being height elitist....now here we are in Aussie rules.
theres plenty of 177cm and under players in the AFL, i'll list the names, and maybe the shortest next year with Nick Watson a top 10 pick potentially at 169cm

177cm (5'10")
Jake Aarts, Riley Garcia, Jade Gresham, Tom Papley, Patrick Parnell

176cm (5' 9")
Jake Bowey, Errol Gulden, Jed McEntee, Dylan Moore, Jesse Motlop, Devon Smith, Michael Walters

175cm (5' 9")
Shai Bolton, Connor Budarick, Kade Chandler, Mitch Crowden, Stefan Giro, Bobby Hill, Lachlan Murphy, Dion Prestia, Junior Rioli, Malcolm Rosas, Will Snelling, Tyson Stengle, Joel Western, Dayne Zorko

174cm (5' 9")
Brent Daniels, Darcy MacPherson, Lewis Taylor

173cm (5' 8")
Liam Baker, Travis Colyer, Corey Durdin, James Rowe, Charlie Spargo, Phoenix Spicer

172cm (5' 8")
Hewego Paul Oea

171cm (5' 7")
Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti, Kysaiah Pickett

170cm (5' 7")
Caleb Daniel

You call that plenty? 39 out of nearly 800 players. Look back 25 years and you will see that there were far more

You call that plenty? 39 out of nearly 800 players. Look back 25 years and you will see that there were far more
true its only 5% of the players in the AFL, but if you're good enough, you're tall enough, some of the best players in the AFL in that group.

true its only 5% of the players in the AFL, but if you're good enough, you're tall enough, some of the best players in the AFL in that group.
Ok yes fair call...but it is trending less and nobody can deny that because it's statistically clear and five years from now there will be even less. 10 years from now there may be nearly none. It's becoming a sport for taller people who do not represent the average height of an Australian anymore. To me that was the beauty of Australian football and indeed cricket.

Nobody on this site has the time to do an average height of every VFL/AFL player for each season between 1972 and 2022 but if they did it would shock people.

theres plenty of 177cm and under players in the AFL, i'll list the names, and maybe the shortest next year with Nick Watson a top 10 pick potentially at 169cm

177cm (5'10")
Jake Aarts, Riley Garcia, Jade Gresham, Tom Papley, Patrick Parnell

176cm (5' 9")
Jake Bowey, Errol Gulden, Jed McEntee, Dylan Moore, Jesse Motlop, Devon Smith, Michael Walters

175cm (5' 9")
Shai Bolton, Connor Budarick, Kade Chandler, Mitch Crowden, Stefan Giro, Bobby Hill, Lachlan Murphy, Dion Prestia, Junior Rioli, Malcolm Rosas, Will Snelling, Tyson Stengle, Joel Western, Dayne Zorko

174cm (5' 9")
Brent Daniels, Darcy MacPherson, Lewis Taylor

173cm (5' 8")
Liam Baker, Travis Colyer, Corey Durdin, James Rowe, Charlie Spargo, Phoenix Spicer

172cm (5' 8")
Hewego Paul Oea

171cm (5' 7")
Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti, Kysaiah Pickett

170cm (5' 7")
Caleb Daniel

Height aint an issue if you have a weapon or some tricks. Plenty of <180cm in the AFL.
Darcy Jones reminds me of Shai Bolton before he was drafted. Big future for DJ.

Ok yes fair call...but it is trending less and nobody can deny that because it's statistically clear and five years from now there will be even less. 10 years from now there may be nearly none. It's becoming a sport for taller people who do not represent the average height of an Australian anymore. To me that was the beauty of Australian football and indeed cricket.

Nobody on this site has the time to do an average height of every VFL/AFL player for each season between 1972 and 2022 but if they did it would shock people.

it is a noticeable trend, i think it was started by Leigh Matthews at Brisbane over 20 years ago when he basically only wanted players over 180cm so they could physically intimidate opponents, which they did, the 2001-2003 Brisbane Lions Team won 3 premierships in a row and were a tough team.

at least thats the first time i remember 180cm height being a requirement, if you are under 180cm you have to have something special about how you play, you dont get recruited if you're just ok at that height these days.

it is a noticeable trend, i think it was started by Leigh Matthews at Brisbane over 20 years ago when he basically only wanted players over 180cm so they could physically intimidate opponents, which they did, the 2001-2003 Brisbane Lions Team won 3 premierships in a row and were a tough team.

at least thats the first time i remember 180cm height being a requirement, if you are under 180cm you have to have something special about how you play, you dont get recruited if you're just ok at that height these days.
I just checked the average age for the 2022 WA 18's squad of 38.

188.4cm and that's just a junior team.

It
I just checked the average age for the 2022 WA 18's squad of 38.

188.4cm and that's just a junior team.
It'll continue as long as we have the amount of stoppages we do. Mathews touched on this himself I seem to recall. As long as the game keeps being altered to cause more stoppages, we have to have bigger bodies around the stoppages. Most don't realise but once "prior opportunity" came in, stoppages just kept growing. Simply because every second tackle now sees a resultant ball up stoppage through a no prior call. Its endemic. So many rules and changes have flowed from this single biggest screw up to try and address the increases in stoppages and resultant congestion. Now we also know it's affecting the actual range of Aussie kids and consequently numbers in total the game caters towards. Make no mistake, "prior opportunity" has been the single biggest rule mistake in AFL history.

Last edited:
As a species, each generation is growing taller. This is nothing new.

This is more noticeable at the elite level of many sports, where specific physical traits are desired or give an advantage.

There is also an element of unintended “selective breeding” at play, where taller elite athletes often search for partners who are also taller.

And higher income and social status also plays a role as well. The pooling of elite sporting kids at private schools, including scholarships to talented kids from outside financial elite, will continue to play a role.

Say afl players dating partners from other sports where height is an advantage.

It’s comparable to what was seen in feudal societies that lasted for centuries that also had a select warrior class. The noble, wealthy and warrior classes had access to better food, health care and living conditions, and were noticeably taller than the common folk.

We are seeing the same occurring at elite sporting levels now. We are probably on the border of the second and third generation where this has been going on.

I don’t know how old everyone here is, but when I was at school in the late 80’s, I remember the Australian Rowing coaches came to our school, and everyone was asked to fill out a survey on our families heights.

They were looking for older teenage kids who had then genetics to potentially grow to high 180’s to low 190’s.

Certainly we're getting taller as a species but the curve is flattening in developed countries now. There is a cutoff where height becomes a net negative to the species.
None of that changes the fact clubs are looking for bigger bodies in general in AFL to cope with the extra bodywork stoppages require.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back