Traded Ben Long - Traded to Gold Coast with future 4th for 32

Remove this Banner Ad

Ben Long’s best is very good. Problem is you only see it a couple of times year. His worst is deplorable. Can be a liability with ill-discipline and poor decision making. He is a real hard nut though and Clarko may be able to bridge the gap between his best and his worst but not sure North really need someone like Ben Long.

Hill would be an elite player in a great side. St. Kilda are nowhere that level and North are even further away. At Hawthorn opposition teams had to worry about Lewis, Hodge, (Sam) Mitchell, Rioli etc so Hill could get off the chain. With the lack of top end talent at North opposition teams would just tag him out of it. He is not physically or mentally tough enough to deal with a hard tag.

North should just walk him to the PSD for nothing.

Pretty clear Ratten doesn’t rate him that much, a change would do him good.

Was reported last night on Footy Classified I think that North are into both Hill and Long.
I Cannot see Brad Hill leaving unless Clarkson is desperate to have him. Unless Clarkson loves him and is desperate to get him like getting Chad Wingard for a 1st rounder and a player like Ryan Burton.

I have looked at Ben Long's stats.

Basically a C grade player.

Mainly averages 10-12 disposals a game.

If any club wants him, you play him to his strengths as a forward rotation.

Ben Long's best season was that season he played 16 games and kicked 14 goals and 9 behinds.

Long at best could be a 15-25 goal a season forward flanker - winger getting 10-12 disposals a game.

North won't give up a 1st rounder and a player to get Hill

A 3rd rounder or future 3rd for Ben Long is about right.

I Cannot see Brad Hill leaving unless Clarkson is desperate to have him. Unless Clarkson loves him and is desperate to get him like getting Chad Wingard for a 1st rounder and a player like Ryan Burton.

Ben Long's best season was that season he played 16 games and kicked 14 goals and 9 behinds.

Long at best could be a 15-25 goal a season forward flanker - winger getting 10-12 disposals a game.

North don’t have an extra first round pick anyway so it’s all a moot point.

I think we would all agree that you’re only as good as your last game, and in his last game Ben received 10 coaches votes, in a losing team no less.

2 first rounders.

I think we would all agree that you’re only as good as your last game, and in his last game Ben received 10 coaches votes, in a losing team no less.

2 first rounders.
Well you saints fans learnt a thing under Ross Lyon lol.

Trying to be a 🐍 snake oil salesmen LoL.

Fair enough you saints Will sell to the highest bidder...

Pity he isn't in his 8th season as a free agent next season. If he was, I assure you next season he will play out of his skin to get a better contract

North should just walk him to the PSD for nothing.

Pretty clear Ratten doesn’t rate him that much, a change would do him good.
Although he's mentioned in the press conference how well he played in seveal game and how good he is. Ratten clearly doesn't rate him.

Long mainly plays as the sub because of his versatility, can play back, forward and mid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds about right. As a saints fan, how much do you rate him?

Seems versatile as a C grade depth player.

I think he should play on a wing/ forward flank and kick 20-25 goals a season.

The club seems to have a long running habit of never quite finding a players correct position, and instead just throwing them into seemingly random positions to see how well they do. We did this with Blake Acres, we did this with Josh Battle (before he settled into our backline), we do this with Brad Hill and we also do it with Ben Long.

I think Ben Long's best position is a rebound defender, similar to Jack Sinclair. But in that situation he probably doesn't get a game unless we have injuries.

I like Long and I hope we keep him, but if he wanted to leave for better opportunities that would be totally reasonable.

Gold coast have plenty of second round picks, we will be gunning for 1 of them I would say. Second rounders usually mean a bit less to GC as they are tight for list spots

Remove this Banner Ad

Back