Autopsy Rolled over to Freo after leading by 41 at qtr time, what's wrong @ the kennel?

Remove this Banner Ad

Opening cliche. champion team v team of champions.
My impression, from games I attended this year, is that the players' pressure, chase and endeavour when the opposition was in possession were nowhere near the standard required. That's a generalisation and personal perception however the stats produced by Oliver Gigacz, for time spent in the forward half, pressure guage and targets inside forward 50 in the Elimination Final, reproduced below, confirm that impression. The immediate coaching responsibility for the 2 crucial areas, midfield and forward, where a forward press and zone defence are used, was allocated to 2 new coaches, Webb and Spangher, the latter who has not coached at AFL level before. I don't think it's a coaching issue, that doesn't account for lack of effort and Bev is the Great Inspirer anyway.
Closing cliche. when the going gets tough, the tough get going

Time In Forward Half

Q1

WB: 55%
FR: 45%

Q2
WB: 53%
FR: 47%

Q3
WB: 47%
FR: 53%

Q4
WB: 34%
FR: 66%

Match
WB: 47%
FR: 53%

Pressure Gauge
Q1

WB: 210 (Elite)
FR: 183 (Average)

Q2
WB: 205 (Elite)
FR: 195 (Above Average)

Q3
WB: 177 (Below Average)
FR: 189 (Average)

Q4
WB: 149 (Poor)*
FR: 203 (Elite)

*gauge usually starts at 160, so 149 is beyond bad.

Match
WB: 186 (Average)
FR: 191 (Above Average)

Targets Inside 50

27 - No target
6 - Naughton
3 - English, Ugle-Hagan, Weightman
2 - Bontempelli, Johannisen
1 - Darcy, Dunkley, R. Smith, Vandermeer

Stats by Oliver Gigacz, page 22 Rolled over to Freo after leading...thread
Surely that 27 times to ‘No Target’ is a big worry on at least a few angles?

Like it isn’t as if we are a speedy team that is burning opposition that regularly on the turnover, i.e. kicking into a vacant 50m.

Unless the range from nearest player measurement is really strict with that or something, or it just counts kicking to packs? Which would make it a very misleading stat.

Surely that 27 times to ‘No Target’ is a big worry on at least a few angles?

Like it isn’t as if we are a speedy team that is burning opposition that regularly on the turnover, i.e. kicking into a vacant 50m.

Unless the range from nearest player measurement is really strict with that or something, or it just counts kicking to packs? Which would make it a very misleading stat.
I watched the game on TV. You can’t see to whom a player is kicking on the small screen. I’m reluctant to draw any conclusion from that single stat. After half time the heads dropped, it might have been lack of concentration, diminution in effort perhaps the forwards not presenting.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back