Opinion Sack Hinkley 7 - "Turn it around or watch out"

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a stupid question at the best of times let alone when this dropkick is the incumbent. There's easily 25 people on this forum I'd rather coaching us than him.
I’d like to think I’m 26th.

McRae sounds like Hinkley in 2013 and 2014.

"That's not a good effort, a good effort is when you win" - Ken Hinkley 2013(2014?)

The problem is that he stopped behaving like this in about mid 2015 and he hasn't really cared about winning beyond what it means for his continued employment since. He's completely lost the fire in his belly. Remember when he used to get angry in the box?

Even the most ardent Hinkley defender who genuinely believes we've just been unlucky for the past 8 years would have to agree that both Port and Hinkley need a fresh start away from each other. It's unbelievably stale.
Watching Collingwood yesterday was like watching us in 13/ 14.

Eight long years ago.

As far as Thunderpants is concerned the PAFC is really just the Kenny Hinkley Football Club.
There'll be a period of mourning among the Hinkley lovers / happy clappers when he finally departs the scene - despite the fact that the majority of supporters finally have a reason to hope for the future.

It’s pretty remarkable how many people have drunk the kool-aid. I go to the footy with a couple of blokes in their 60s who will talk about the glory days, going into the locker room to go and personally tell player x “you were s**t today”.

Then they parrot the lines about “it’s a tough competition” and defend Hinkley “he turned us around when we were a rabble”.

I say to them, Sydney makes a gf every few years. Geelong play finals every year. What’s wrong with expecting more? Koch and Hinkley have neutered this club’s supporters.

It really is such a strange mentality to me because there are two ways to look at it.

Its a tough competition -> That means we have to work even harder to get success and need to be ruthless if we want to win. It also means when we do win it will be way more rewarding because we know the mountain we have to climb.

Its a tough competition -> That means we may as well just give up and accept we probably won't get anywhere as long as we all have fun who cares.

Like why even support a sports team if you take the second option. Why not just spend your free time flying kites or knitting where there are no losers at all?

lol, the Hinkley defenders have been rolling out this line for years despite the assistant coaches being on high rotation.

If Hinkley constantly needs better assistants maybe, just maybe, the problem is that Hinkley just isn't up to it. :think:
One of Ken's assistants (Schofield) signed a contract extension during 2021, only to pack his bags and head to Perth after the preliminary final debacle. I don't think the assistants are the problem - the big constant here is the bloke in charge.

It really is such a strange mentality to me because there are two ways to look at it.

Its a tough competition -> That means we have to work even harder to get success and need to be ruthless if we want to win. It also means when we do win it will be way more rewarding because we know the mountain we have to climb.

Its a tough competition -> That means we may as well just give up and accept we probably won't get anywhere as long as we all have fun who cares.

Like why even support a sports team if you take the second option. Why not just spend your free time flying kites or knitting where there are no losers at all?

From what I can gather the second group - which includes quite a few people on this forum - have this mentality that if you just amble along then eventually your time will come, as though winning a premiership is some type of raffle where every club's number will be drawn eventually. These are usually the people who think 'once we get a good assistant we'll be fine' or 'once we draft a tall defender and another midfielder we'll be fine' or 'once we have some luck with close games we'll be fine'. Ignoring the fact that this day never comes and Sydney and Geelong just seem to win all the time regardless of who is on their playing list, almost like culture and expectation (largely driven by the senior coach) actually matter more than anything else.

From what I can gather the second group - which includes quite a few people on this forum - have this mentality that if you just amble along then eventually your time will come, as though winning a premiership is some type of raffle where every club's number will be drawn eventually. These are usually the people who think 'once we get a good assistant we'll be fine' or 'once we draft a tall defender and another midfielder we'll be fine' or 'once we have some luck with close games we'll be fine'. Ignoring the fact that this day never comes and Sydney and Geelong just seem to win all the time regardless of who is on their playing list, almost like culture and expectation (largely driven by the senior coach) actually matter more than anything else.
St. Kilda has been waiting for 56 years - if we remain on the current path, our premiership drought will end up being something similar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

St. Kilda has been waiting for 56 years - if we remain on the current path, our premiership drought will end up being something similar.

I don't think some people have fully grasped that this is soon to be a 19 team (and I suspect 20 thereafter) team competition. If you perform to average you'll win 1 in 20 years (so about 4 in the average lifetime of a supporter). But that's to average. And objectively our AFL history to date has us as a club that underperforms on all key metrics such as premierships, grand finals and finals appearances. So really, on current trend, you'd expect us to be the type of club to win a premiership maybe every 40 years or so. If we don't want to be that type of club then something has to change.

I don't think some people have fully grasped that this is soon to be a 19 team (and I suspect 20 thereafter) team competition. If you perform to average you'll win 1 in 20 years (so about 4 in the average lifetime of a supporter). But that's to average. And objectively our AFL history to date has us as a club that underperforms on all key metrics such as premierships, grand finals and finals appearances. So really, on current trend, you'd expect us to be the type of club to win a premiership maybe every 40 years or so. If we don't want to be that type of club then something has to change.
And you don't have success while trying to be everyone's second favourite team - part of that change has to be Koch.

Just on that, I wonder what Fos Williams would have thought of David Koch - I'd wager that he'd have a few choice words to say to him: very few of them printable.

Lucky we kept Ken to help us attract players...

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
"But we base decisions on all the information in front of us and we believe Ken as senior coach provides the best chance of rebounding next season, including successfully attracting new talent and football department resources to make us better." D.Koch Aug 11 2022

This aged well….

And you don't have success while trying to be everyone's second favourite team - part of that change has to be Koch.
This one shits me, as we were a significant lot of peoples second team, because we played attacking, exciting football that was winning games, that people enjoyed watching. Like 'a long term coach equals success' Koch gets it back the front. Be a successful team, with a style that isn't like sticking forks in the eyes as you inch it up the field and we'll be plenty of fans second team. Have a coach whose successful AND THEN he'll be a long term coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back