Have Geelong Improved? Or has the Rest of the Comp Gone Backwards?

Remove this Banner Ad

It matters because having a % of 104 indicates you're an average team that hasn't been winning convincingly.

The fact that an average team that hasn't been winning convincingly all year, pushes both GF teams to within a point, suggests that the standard of the competition is very weak this year.
Still fairly disingenuous of you to say it's a week season and Cats are not better than previous years. Seriously ask yourself what more could Cats have done except not lose the four games early in the season?

Feels like 2007 for mine. Hope it’s not 2008
This Cats version is not as good as 2008 but they still good enough to take the title out this year.
It certainly will not be some walk over like when you destroyed Port Power in 2007.
I think the margin be around 5 goals your way but maybe only won in last quarter.
I think Jeremy Cameron will be the match winner.

This Cats version is not as good as 2008 but they still good enough to take the title out this year.
It certainly will not be some walk over like when you destroyed Port Power in 2007.
I think the margin be around 5 goals your way but maybe only won in last quarter.
I think Jeremy Cameron will be the match winner.
I think the best and least possible result would be Gary Rohan - Norm Smith

It's good you've thrown this question out to a community that watch a lot of football if you can't see the inherent improvement to the Geelong side with the emergence of SDK, Holmes and Atkins; the addition of Stengle; the change in game plan; and JC stepping up to be one of the best impact players in the competition.

I, for one, look forward to your thread next season questioning whether one of the Grand Finalists has improved or if just every other team went backwards.

As a dees I can definitely say that we went backwards. by a long way. Our game plan was stifled, and we had a lot of players who didn't improve.

Geelong have definitely improved from last year. Because they have Stengle and De Koning.

But the winner of this year's grand final won't be remembered the way the dees smashed everyone in last year's finals so I'd say that if Geelong win this year, they'd lose to the 2021 dees by about 6 goals.
Did the dees win by 120+ last year? I forgot....

I posted this in one if the other threads but remarkable transformation has taken place at Kardinia Park over the space of 12 months:

Changes included:

• Blicavs being freed from his backline role with De Koning stepping in
  • Holmes and Atkins in the midfield coming good
  • Change in game plan
  • Change in coaching structure (new assistants came in at the end of last year)
  • Their older guns no longer have to carry the brunt of the workload in games. Can be saved for when really required...Selwood is proof of that
  • Cameron playing to his potential along with Hawkins who has maintained form as a mature age player
  • Stengle coming in and playing at AA level as a small forward
I dislike them as much as any Hawthorn or Tigers supporter but credit where credit is due. There has been significant change at the Cats this year.

As for the GF, the Cats had a training run on Friday night with 250+ uncontested possessions. That's absurd!! Brisbane not only didn't show up but they were as soft as I have seen all year. There is no way the Swans will allow the Cats to play no pressure football. I am of the opinion the Cats midfield simply won't have the run required to put them to the sword. Time will tell.

I'm happy though to give the club the credit it deserves. Kudos to them.

My view is that none of that would amount to anything if the opposition was good this year. But they're not.

The standard of the comp in terms of there being any great teams, is very low compared to most years.

Geelong are the only really good team in the entire comp. They've been a really good team for about 5 years. The problem has been that there have been great teams that have beaten them.

There are no great teams this year.

There are no real standout team anymore in the way there were back when the Hawks were dominating in the 80s, and Brisbane in the early noughties.

Yes. You grasp that part.

But you're somehow interpreting it as a knock on Geelong. It's not at all.
With all the crap being posted about Geelong by others (alleged salary cap rorting; "cheat ground", Chris Scott is an average coach, etc) can you understand how your post comes across? You may not have meant your post to come across as a knock but it has, like Cats are doing a Steven Bradbury.

Now I can see you back pedalling, which you should have done in the first place. Lazy posting, IMO

Yes it is, though.

Last year Cats were accused of playing a silly slow chip-pass, keepings off game. They were labelled slow and unable to handle finals pressure.

To be fair, they did fall over the line by 1 point or whatever to Collingwood in the finals this year.

Geelong's 3 main forwards have kicked a combined total of 176 goals. The three main Cats forwards in 2021 (Hawkins, Cameron and Rohan) kicked a total of 118 goals

Now if you can't see that it's on you...

That's because the opposition is poor. Not because Hawkins and Cameron are magically better players what they used to be. It's because the opposition is inferior to what it's been in previous years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are no real standout team anymore in the way there were back when the Hawks were dominating in the 80s, and Brisbane in the early noughties.
Melbourne last year. Richmond prior. West Coast were a standout.

Bulldogs scored a very weak year.

Generally speaking, there's a standout team or two, and some really good teams at the next tier.

This year, the standout teams don't exist, and there's only 1 really good team. The rest are good teams and/or up and coming teams. Weirdly, this year these are the teams that have made up the top 6!

With all the crap being posted about Geelong by others (alleged salary cap rorting; "cheat ground", Chris Scott is an average coach, etc) can you understand how your post comes across? You may not have meant your post to come across as a knock but it has, like Cats are doing a Steven Bradbury.

Now I can see you back pedalling, which you should have done in the first place. Lazy posting, IMO

That's just childish nonsense.

I stated from the first page of this thread that this is not a knock on Geelong.

It's a knock on the lazy media, and the ignorant footy public.

Melbourne last year. Richmond prior. West Coast were a standout.

Bulldogs scored a very weak year.

Generally speaking, there's a standout team or two, and some really good teams at the next tier.

This year, the standout teams don't exist, and there's only 1 really good team. The rest are good teams and/or up and coming teams. Weirdly, this year these are the teams that have made up the top 6!

Isn’t Geelong the standout team if they win the flag? Would be 16 on the trot and only 4 losses for the year.

My view is that none of that would amount to anything if the opposition was good this year. But they're not.

The standard of the comp in terms of there being any great teams, is very low compared to most years.

Geelong are the only really good team in the entire comp. They've been a really good team for about 5 years. The problem has been that there have been great teams that have beaten them.

There are no great teams this year.
Sure teams have dropped off marginally for varying reasons through injury, poorer form/game plan, suspensions, etc, happens EVERY YEAR but to say that Geelong hasn't improved suggests you are either trolling or you know jack-s**t about the Geelong Footy Club or it's players because this is seriously the dumbest or most ignorant & arrogant comment I've ever read on Big Footy in regards to the Geelong FC. Come Saturdays Grand Final, win, lose or draw, the 2022 Geelong Football team is the best Geelong side since 2011 by some margin and every astute Geelong supporter who watches every moment of play throughout the season knows this with also many intelligent footy people on this thread who have not trolled explaining in detail the reasons why, so perhaps you might learn something 'from your own thread' without a bias or a dumb-arse viewpoint. But we are also playing a brilliant young side in the Sydney Swans who have won 9 games straight, with Geelong winning 15 straight, so I pose the question when was the last Grand Final when the Grand Finalists had won 15 & 9 straight games collectively between them leading into the Grand Final, I'd suggest you'd have to go a long way back in the history books to do so.

Last edited:
Or
Everything looks better, that's the point! But it's not actually better.

Yes nothing is better.
Cameron isn’t fitter.
We don’t have a small forward who’s kicked nearly 50 goals.
Blicavs hasn’t played a different role.
Selwood and Dangerfield haven’t played less minutes.
Sam De Koning hasn’t been brought into the best 22
Max Holmes hasn’t either
Brad Close hasn’t improved
Neither has Gryan Miers
Tom Atkins hasn’t been shifted into the midfield
Mitch Duncan hasn’t been shifted to half-back.

None of these things have happened - it’s just how things have been made to appear by the other 17 teams.

It matters because having a % of 104 indicates you're an average team that hasn't been winning convincingly.

The fact that an average team that hasn't been winning convincingly all year, pushes both GF teams to within a point, suggests that the standard of the competition is very weak this year.

This will hurt particularly when the AFL FINALLY starts only awarding 3 points if your win isn’t convincing.

F*** me dead

Remove this Banner Ad

Back