Fixture ? Should we play some home games at the SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Giantman

Debutant
Feb 4, 2012
Australia
AFL Club
GWS
This idea is gaining credibility in the media. To me this is so obvious it must happen.. We will broaden the base of Giants fans if we make our matches more accessible from anywhere in Sydney. There could be a 3 game GIANTS SCG Membership....even some Swannies fans may take it up!

There are many potential Giants fans in Sydney who couldn't easily get to Homebush...its a whole lot easier to go to the City. The SCG is easily the most accessible and best AFL Stadium in Sydney. We need to play some of the big, (currently in form ) supporter base Victorian Clubs here... Collingwood, Geelong or maybe, Carlton.

If the AFL has these clubs appearing twice a year at a central venue like the SCG...you will get a crowd. 3 at SCG (1 away game v Swans), 6 at Giants Stadium (incl home game against Swans), 3 in Canberra. We are Greater Western Sydney... we have an expanded western base but we are the other Sydney team.

Yep - share others' views.
It's a non-negotiable for me.
On the cusp of not financially supporting this club any further the way it is.
Admin don't answer your emails... Current running of the club...
It'll be the proverbial straw....

Last edited:
There are many potential Giants fans in Sydney who couldn't easily get to Homebush...its a whole lot easier to go to the City. The SCG is easily the most accessible and best AFL Stadium in Sydney.
In what world is the SCG easily more accessible? Have you seen the massive queues for light rail spots, or the 30 minute walk to Central? Compared to loading people on to trains a lot quicker at the Olympic Park station?

I'll join the "hell, no" crowd.

We will come up from Canberra for Giants Stadium as it's pretty easily accessible by road (as much as any 3 hour road trip), but SCG is a right royal pain. Come for finals, there, if needed, but otherwise no.

I don't think we'd get enough people from eastern Sydney to join in to counteract the losses we'd suffer from western Sydney folk getting miffed and bailing out.

This idea is gaining credibility in the media. To me this is so obvious it must happen.. We will broaden the base of Giants fans if we make our matches more accessible from anywhere in Sydney. There could be a 3 game GIANTS SCG Membership....even some Swannies fans may take it up!

There are many potential Giants fans in Sydney who couldn't easily get to Homebush...its a whole lot easier to go to the City. The SCG is easily the most accessible and best AFL Stadium in Sydney. We need to play some of the big, (currently in form ) supporter base Victorian Clubs here... Collingwood, Geelong or maybe, Carlton.

If the AFL has these clubs appearing twice a year at a central venue like the SCG...you will get a crowd. 3 at SCG (1 away game v Swans), 6 at Giants Stadium (incl home game against Swans), 3 in Canberra. We are Greater Western Sydney... we have an expanded western base but we are the other Sydney team.
Ok a couple of things.
The SCG is not central to the Sydney metropolitan region.
It’s also not the most easily accessible stadium in Sydney. Olympic Park Precinct is.

It would be the final nail in a failing WS Giants.

Last edited:
Ok a couple of things Mr ugly troll.
I don’t think you are from Sydney. Or know about Sydney.
The SCG is not central to the Sydney metropolitan region.
It’s also not the most easily accessible stadium in Sydney. Olympic Park Precinct is.

But please do continue you ******* muppet. 🤣

Why have we been insulted with this thread? Someone please delete it
Whoa, guys!

Take a look at his history. Started in 2012 (just before you GG!), and from his posts clearly a GWS supporter. Not a regular poster by any means, but doesn't make him a troll or not a Giants fan.

Many posters may not like the idea that he's pulled from media discussion ... but I believe in free speech (to a greater extent, there are reasonable limits IMHO) ... and the point is having a place to discuss these freely. People may agree or disagree ... as the rules state ... play the ball (in this case, the idea) not the poster!

I respect all posters who come on here, and encourage open discussion when it's genuine and respectful of others and their views.

And if he is someone doing a marketing survey or similar gauge of the idea ... hopefully the responses will provide ammunition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're taking the piss, mate.

How do we feel about LA or San Fran?
First game of the season in the US? Or near a bye?

I would rather that than SCG/Accor.

Does it help our growth in any way? I'm sure you'd get a bunch of Aussies and anyone who play AFL in the states coming along...or try and partner with a Baseball team like the SF Giants or LA rams to get their fans along to something new.

Growth in Western Sydney first and foremost. I am assuming it is quite a diverse multi-cultured area of Australia? Thinking about it this way we should be asking the AFL to allow us to list say 2 players who are from Western Sydney with a multi-cultured to help the growth in that demographic of the population? Or too easily manipulated?

Growth in Western Sydney first and foremost. I am assuming it is quite a diverse multi-cultured area of Australia? Thinking about it this way we should be asking the AFL to allow us to list say 2 players who are from Western Sydney with a multi-cultured to help the growth in that demographic of the population? Or too easily manipulated?
We tried that in the AFLW, and it sort of blew up in our face.

I would actually scrap the southern NSW zone in the academy. Force us to actually invest into WS

Dangerously close to the South African quota system

Dangerously close to the South African quota system
Honestly that was initially good for the team. It actually promoted the game among the demographics where it was less popular, and kept guys in the system that might have dropped out. It should have been abolished once it had done its time rather than expanded though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back