Golf World Golf thread - Foreign and Domestic

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched it and loved every minute of it.
Will be a sell out in Australia and pretty much everywhere. Huge crowds at this event in Chicago.

What a load of crap. $1 tickets doesnt mean a sell-out.

Same bros that have been pot shotting AFLW for years for cheap tickets are now on the LIV bandwagon.

What a joke. Anyone thinking LIV is good for golf is absolutely kidding themselves.

How is it sustainable? How is it rewarding the middle of the road golfers that were the ones struggling with the PGA tour?
How is anyone going to ever take it seriously when purses are guaranteed and come out of your already signed earnings?

Like Cam Smith didnt make any money this week for winning, at all. That big fat cheque he got just comes out of his signing bonus.

Same bros that have been pot shotting AFLW for years for cheap tickets are now on the LIV bandwagon.

What a joke. Anyone thinking LIV is good for golf is absolutely kidding themselves.

How is it sustainable? How is it rewarding the middle of the road golfers that were the ones struggling with the PGA tour?
How is anyone going to ever take it seriously when purses are guaranteed and come out of your already signed earnings?

Like Cam Smith didnt make any money this week for winning, at all. That big fat cheque he got just comes out of his signing bonus.

You been reading the Rory handbook.

How is good golfers playing around the world bad for golf?
Since when are Cam Smith, Dustin Johnson, Dechambeau, Koepka, Oostenhousen, mickleson, Middle of the road golfers?

Smith won 4 million this week on top of his signing on bonus. You are listening to PGA tour lies. Do some research and find out the truth.

Anything to get some big golf events out of America is great for Golf, and check out the crowds and the age demographic. New audience could possibly be getting interested.
I still like the PGA tour and it's history but they need to stop with their crying and sooking. They now have a genuine competitor and they don't like it. LIV golf aint going no where. It's here to stay and either the PGA tour works with them or they might just well be walked over.

Since when are Cam Smith, Dustin Johnson, Dechambeau, Koepka, Oostenhousen, mickleson, Middle of the road golfers?

Smith won 4 million this week on top of his signing on bonus. You are listening to PGA tour lies. Do some research and find out the truth.

Anything to get some big golf events out of America is great for Golf, and check out the crowds and the age demographic. New audience could possibly be getting interested.
I still like the PGA tour and it's history but they need to stop with their crying and sooking. They now have a genuine competitor and they don't like it. LIV golf aint going no where. It's here to stay and either the PGA tour works with them or they might just well be walked over.

YouTube ratings were down this week

YouTube ratings were down this week

Until the TV deal which will be in place for the first full tour year next year is here it is hard to compare. I watch it so I am not worried about what others do. It clearly is a concern because if it wasn't then the PGA tour people wouldn't be crying and sooking about their monopoly being being disrupted.

Until the TV deal which will be in place for the first full tour year next year is here it is hard to compare. I watch it so I am not worried about what others do. It clearly is a concern because if it wasn't then the PGA tour people wouldn't be crying and sooking about their monopoly being being disrupted.

Yep, that's why you responded 10 minutes after my post...

Mate i had that opinion before Rory had even commented.

Its:
a) not sustainable
b) a lot LESS golf
c) lower quality golf
d) mostly players who are on a downward trajectory
e) zero, and i mean ZERO incentive to practice or improve
f) deceptive (ie. smith earnt nothing for winning this last tournament - comes straight out of his signing money)

I mean I could get all the way down to z but I have a feeling this is already well above your paygrade.

Also you talk about crying and sooking, yet the only crying and sooking is coming from LIV players - law suits, ranking points, majors access, presidents cup qualification etc.
They made their choice and now THEY are the ones whinging about it?!

Its:
a) not sustainable
b) a lot LESS golf
c) lower quality golf
f) deceptive (ie. smith earnt nothing for winning this last tournament - comes straight out of his signing money)

I mean I could get all the way down to z but I have a feeling this is already well above your paygrade.

Also you talk about crying and sooking, yet the only crying and sooking is coming from LIV players - law suits, ranking points, majors access, presidents cup qualification etc.

Thanks Rory, lies lies lies. Want a tissue?

Thanks Rory, lies lies lies. Want a tissue?

Which points are lies?
Or are you just doing a Trump and yelling and screaming lies when you have no comeback?

Please address the issue.
Also I'm not really a Rory fan at all...this is completely an opinion formed off the basis of logic and facts.

Which points are lies?
Or are you just doing a Trump and yelling and screaming lies when you have no comeback?

Also I'm not really a Rory fan at all...this is completely an opinion formed off the basis of logic and facts.

Lie that LIV players prize money is deducted from sign on bonus. (See Below)

Not Sustainable (Just your opinion) No facts to back it up.
Lower Quality golf ( Again just your opinion) Fields getting stronger and stronger at LIV. By the time the first real tour starts at LIV next year I think the top end will be extremely strong at LIV.
DJ, Koepka, Smith, Bryson, Ancer, Neiiman etc Nothing downward about their trajectory in golf.
Deceptive is just rubbish, Smith got paid what he earnt.
Your facts are mostly incorrect, no issue with you having an opinion but that doesn't make it correct either.

LIV Golf prize money will not be drawn against player contracts, to be paid in addition to signing bonuses​

Rumors had swirled for weeks that prize money would come out of player's signing bonuses​

[IMG alt=" Kyle Porter
"]https://sportshub.cbsistatic.com/i/r/2016/05/04/8dcfe942-a234-42fb-a62d-0ee54fc9d398/thumbnail/80x80/e51fc3d39586c4c87647e33f575710e3/kyleporter.png[/IMG]

By Kyle Porter

Jun 29, 2022 at 10:43 am ET•2 min read

The biggest component of the new LIV Golf league is cash. How big the tournament purses are and how engorged the contracts have been for superstar talents like Brooks Koepka, Dustin Johnson, Bryson DeChambeau and Phil Mickelson are top stories. Players are getting paid wheelbarrows of cash for their services apart from the PGA Tour.

An interesting rumor began to circulate over the last few weeks, however, that the $25 million purses LIV Golf was doling out were not all they seemed to be. The thinking was that if a player got, say, a $100 million contract from LIV Golf and won the $4 million first prize at an event, that would count as part of the contract instead of being paid out separately.

Golf Channel analyst Brandel Chamblee made this public this week, and golfers were asked about it on Tuesday ahead of the LIV Golf event in Portland. The exchange was fascinating:

Q. It's been reported by people that ... your signing bonuses versus the draw, meaning what you win comes out of your signing bonus or vice versa. That's supposedly in your guys' contracts. Can you confirm if that's actually true or not?
Brooks Koepka: "That's not -- no. No."
Q. Just to confirm, Brooks, you're saying it's not the case?
Koepka: "No. I don't know -- it's irrelevant."
Q. Okay. And the rest of you guys?
Pat Perez: [Shook head]
Q. The only reason I ask you is because both Keith Pelley, Jay Monahan and you can name other people keep saying that we're mis-reporting stuff all the time, and the reason is because every time we ask a question we can't get answers or people don't want to talk about the specific issues. That's why I'm asking.
Koepka: "I heard that rumor on Monday morning at the U.S. Open. I also heard I was in London on Saturday or Sunday before. I mean, that was on Monday. Just saying. You can't believe everything you hear."
At first, it seemed like players were deflecting and that Chamblee was correct, that prize money actually was a draw against the contracts various players have signed. However, at the very end of the press conference with Koepka, Perez and Patrick Reed, the LIV Golf moderator cleared things up.

"I just wanted to address Alex's question earlier when you were asking about the prize purses and if they are in addition to the contracts," she said. "The prize purses are in addition to. There is no draw at LIV Golf on any finances. We just wanted to, on the record, it's in addition to. And while you guys have, this is your first event, but you should know that from your contracts. You can attest to it. Thank you guys."

To simplify this, let's say Koepka signed a $100 million contract to play in the LIV Golf league. He will receive all of that money, and if he wins the Portland event this weekend, he'll also receive $4 million for a total of $104 million in addition to other winnings he accumulates over the course of his LIV Golf career.

Who are these people?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its:
a) not sustainable
b) a lot LESS golf
c) lower quality golf

a) not sustainable - maybe be. maybe not
b) a lot LESS golf. another tour = more golf for viewers.
c) lower quality golf = in terms of scores? fairways hit? shots gained?
d) mostly players who are on a downward trajectory - golf is not like other sports. Players go up and down sometimes on a weekly or even a daily basis. Rankings dont always tell the story, sometimes they do.
What do you make of Jed Morgans game?
e) zero, and i mean ZERO incentive to practice or improve - not familiar with golf in general? how do you know there's no incentive? They all want to win.
f) deceptive (ie. smith earnt nothing for winning this last tournament - comes straight out of his signing money) - i dont know what the story is there, but happy to take that.

a) not sustainable - maybe be. maybe not
b) a lot LESS golf. another tour = more golf for viewers.
c) lower quality golf = in terms of scores? fairways hit? shots gained?
d) mostly players who are on a downward trajectory - golf is not like other sports. Players go up and down sometimes on a weekly or even a daily basis. Rankings dont always tell the story, sometimes they do.
What do you make of Jed Morgans game?
e) zero, and i mean ZERO incentive to practice or improve - not familiar with golf in general? how do you know there's no incentive? They all want to win.
f) deceptive (ie. smith earnt nothing for winning this last tournament - comes straight out of his signing money) - i dont know what the story is there, but happy to take that.

lol come on...

who knows?

The PGA are now putting more $ into events and prizemoney. Perhaps they maymay survive

There's nothing sustainable about the vast sums of money they are chucking out there.

The question will always remain, what happens when they get bored of funding this?

Seen a bit of what goes on at LIV golf, the podium etc, honestly, what have they done to golf? The players must be so embarrassed to he apart of it all, only there purely for the money, anything else they say is an absolute lie.
The sooking about the lack of OWGR points is great.

They knew they wouldn’t be getting them.

So suck it up and enjoy the cash that you left for.

They’re in no position to dictate to the powers that be.

Which points are lies?

So have now also found out what entry costs to LIV are. At the recent Chicago event the grounds pass was $45.00
If you had some password then that could be reduced by 25%.
VIP passes which give you all different types of access range from $100 up to $1200.
I found this out by asking on the LIV Facebook page what the prices were and what people paid.

Just wanted to let you know that free entry is no longer the case.

The sooking about the lack of OWGR points is great.

They knew they wouldn’t be getting them.

So suck it up and enjoy the cash that you left for.

They’re in no position to dictate to the powers that be.
I hate how they announce the winner on a podium alongside second and third. They're ruining all tradition of golf, it's so bad. I refuse to believe they are proud of how they are conducting themselves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back