Golf World Golf thread - Foreign and Domestic

freddy mercury

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2009
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Jacksonville
I wonder what sort of reception they'll get if and when they play in our country.
No doubt they'll bring it here with Greg Norman being behind it. I reckon I'd go purely because of the golfers, not because I support LIV and what they've done to golf.

It's so rare to see so many of the top golfers in Australia at one time.

No doubt they'll bring it here with Greg Norman being behind it. I reckon I'd go purely because of the golfers, not because I support LIV and what they've done to golf.

But by attending doesn't it mean supporting LIV?

Truth right there. I wonder when teh last time was

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets, Chelsea, Striker
So have now also found out what entry costs to LIV are. At the recent Chicago event the grounds pass was $45.00
If you had some password then that could be reduced by 25%.
VIP passes which give you all different types of access range from $100 up to $1200.
I found this out by asking on the LIV Facebook page what the prices were and what people paid.

Just wanted to let you know that free entry is no longer the case.

They gave away thousands of tickets for $1 as promotional material. Also a bunch of freebies given out for competitions and stuff.
Anyway what is the point on this? They would have to charge about $30,000 for a day pass to ever make money.

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
There's nothing sustainable about the vast sums of money they are chucking out there.

The question will always remain, what happens when they get bored of funding this?
^ This and 100x this.
Oh we're bored of golf and we wanna buy Formula 1.

I cannot believe how much support this joke of a thing is getting. Its staggering.

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
a) not sustainable - maybe be. maybe not
b) a lot LESS golf. another tour = more golf for viewers.
c) lower quality golf = in terms of scores? fairways hit? shots gained?
d) mostly players who are on a downward trajectory - golf is not like other sports. Players go up and down sometimes on a weekly or even a daily basis. Rankings dont always tell the story, sometimes they do.
What do you make of Jed Morgans game?
e) zero, and i mean ZERO incentive to practice or improve - not familiar with golf in general? how do you know there's no incentive? They all want to win.
f) deceptive (ie. smith earnt nothing for winning this last tournament - comes straight out of his signing money) - i dont know what the story is there, but happy to take that.

a) Not actually possible to be sustained. It can never make even half the current spend, even with the most rosey-eyed projections.
b) Less golf - The best players are now playing less than half the amount they were before. Strange view to say "more golf" when its just now lower quality and some good players are only playing 8 weeks a year.
c) Lower quality golf because every tournament is diluted (especially LIV with 2 or 3 top players and a bunch of retirees)
d) 100% most of the players on LIV are on a downward trajectory. You're lying if you say otherwise. Johnson and Smith are the only top players actually playing at a high level.
Jed Morgan (world ranking 300+) the guy that finished over 30 shots behind Smith at the last event? Yeh probably shouldnt be there. Once again another example of the lack of depth in LIV. Bloke wont be at next years tourneys anyway once they sign a few more average retirees. Then what for him? Retirement right?
e) I'm familiar with golf and life. There's no incentive as they now do not need to forge a career. Like any job if you get paid a s**t ton more for less work with no requirement for quality you're not going to put in the effort are you? What is there to fight for?

I thought you were a pretty logical person but it seems you're blinded on this one.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

See Id love to see Cam smith and a small batch of other good golfers, but there is zero chance I'll be attending a LIV event.

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
But by attending doesn't it mean supporting LIV?

Truth right there. I wonder when teh last time was

Last time was Presidents Cup 2019.
And it was way better than any lineup LIV will ever offer.

Woods, Spieth, Johnson, Thomas, Cantlay, Bryson, Shauffele, Woodland, Fowler, Finau, Reed

Ancer, Im, Leishman, Matsuyama, Niemenn, Oosthuizen, Scott, Smith, Im etc.

Last time was Presidents Cup 2019.
And it was way better than any lineup LIV will ever offer.

Woods, Spieth, Johnson, Thomas, Cantlay, Bryson, Shauffele, Woodland, Fowler, Finau, Reed

Ancer, Im, Leishman, Matsuyama, Niemenn, Oosthuizen, Scott, Smith, Im etc.

When was the last time we saw a field, including some or even a handful top Americans, out here on a tour event? One for prizemoney. The tour has killed the Aus tour.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
When was the last time we saw a field, including some or even a handful top Americans, out here on a tour event? One for prizemoney. The tour has killed the Aus tour.

The American tour has destroyed all global golf tours. With the new OWGR it means that no tour other than the American tour can be played with enough ranking points to help your ranking. Basically if you wish to play in majors you must play the American tour.

LIV golf needs to get OWGR to stop this monopoly continuing.

a) Not actually possible to be sustained. It can never make even half the current spend, even with the most rosey-eyed projections.
b) Less golf - The best players are now playing less than half the amount they were before. Strange view to say "more golf" when its just now lower quality and some good players are only playing 8 weeks a year.
c) Lower quality golf because every tournament is diluted (especially LIV with 2 or 3 top players and a bunch of retirees)
d) 100% most of the players on LIV are on a downward trajectory. You're lying if you say otherwise. Johnson and Smith are the only top players actually playing at a high level.
Jed Morgan (world ranking 300+) the guy that finished over 30 shots behind Smith at the last event? Yeh probably shouldnt be there. Once again another example of the lack of depth in LIV. Bloke wont be at next years tourneys anyway once they sign a few more average retirees. Then what for him? Retirement right?
e) I'm familiar with golf and life. There's no incentive as they now do not need to forge a career. Like any job if you get paid a s**t ton more for less work with no requirement for quality you're not going to put in the effort are you? What is there to fight for?

I thought you were a pretty logical person but it seems you're blinded on this one.

a) we shall see. When the PGA was founded there were doubts about it's existence as well.
b) more tournaments than before.
d) Jed is doing it for the $ no doubt. Sets himself up for life. We'd all take the money. Have you seen him play in person? Absolute striper of the ball. But not close to making cuts. He has probably realised it and thought ill just take the cash and run. A for lack of depth, yes that is true. Give it time. When the VFL started there was a lack of depth as well.
e) I do think LIV has to make a change to the qualification process. I can see why they decided not to have cuts. When you're a newbie on the scene you gotta attract players. Hence no cuts and a shitload of $. I acknowledge this and hope there can be some sort of feeder, like the KF tour.

The American tour has destroyed all global golf tours. With the new OWGR it means that no tour other than the American tour can be played with enough ranking points to help your ranking. Basically if you wish to play in majors you must play the American tour.

And the wrap around season.
The DP tour has also sadly been affected.

I foresee the three or even four tours coming together eventually. Hopefully. But with Norman in charge, and monahan, its an uphill battle.

Most of those were paid appearance fees as well.

Not so long ago, Australian events were full of local players. Now the events are co-sanctioned meaning only half of those spots go to Aus PGA tour affiliates. It means that any player starting out has to do overseas as there’s not enough local events to make a living. When that happens, it’s hard to get them to come back here to play in what is essentially their off season.

If LIV players are banned from Presidents Cups, it will be the death of the event. The International team will need a miracle to rack up 10 points. Long way for. The glory days of 1998 when they won at Royal Melbourne. I went and that was the pinnacle of golf in Australia.

Not so long ago, Australian events were full of local players. Now the events are co-sanctioned meaning only half of those spots go to Aus PGA tour affiliates. It means that any player starting out has to do overseas as there’s not enough local events to make a living. When that happens, it’s hard to get them to come back here to play in what is essentially their off season.

If LIV players are banned from Presidents Cups, it will be the death of the event. The International team will need a miracle to rack up 10 points. Long way for. The glory days of 1998 when they won at Royal Melbourne. I went and that was the pinnacle of golf in Australia.

I was there too!
And the last one :(

Did you see Parry and Maruyama beat Tiger and Couples? Just before that magical chip in, it's alleged Shigeki said something to Popeye. Do you know what was said?

Which is effectively the start of the PGA season.

Sep 16, 2010
Coastal cruiser
AFL Club
Carlton

And that's why i'm all for it as the PGA has decimated our tour.

Sep 16, 2010
Coastal cruiser
AFL Club
Carlton
Are you playing today?
Played yesterday, playing Sunday.
Will hit the practice green later...i've threatened the putter that it's on its last chance before it gets put in the back of the garage, and replaced with one of the others that have been biding their time....hopefully it responds in a positive fashion.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
And that's why i'm all for it as the PGA has decimated our tour.

All for it as well. They have decimated every tour on the planet. Speaking to guys at my Golf club and they are all behind LIV, like me they still like the PGA tour but they are all for Golf being played by great players around the world.

PGA tour's response to all of this has been like a little boy who had his toy taken off him. Just a bunch of cry babies.

Play 72 holes and have an actual feeder system.

They don't make the criteria. The whinging by LIV players is ridiculous. That's what the money is for

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
Play 72 holes and have an actual feeder system.

They don't make the criteria. The whinging by LIV players is ridiculous. That's what the money is for

I think that is entirely possible that they will go to 72 holes. The last 3 days will be the teams event.
LIV players are not whinging? They are simply playing a golf tour and expect to get rankings like any other tour do.

PGA tour
Hero golf challenge (Tigers event) Gets OWGR and is only 20 players over 3 days
Sentry tournament is just 42 players but gets OWGR
Fed ex cup playoff has just 30 players but gets OWGR

I actually think there might be a couple more as well, if they can do it on the OGA tour then LIV should get points.

I want the best players playing in the majors, LIV players not getting points will make the world rankings a joke.

I think that is entirely possible that they will go to 72 holes. The last 3 days will be the teams event.
LIV players are not whinging? They are simply playing a golf tour and expect to get rankings like any other tour do.

PGA tour
Hero golf challenge (Tigers event) Gets OWGR and is only 20 players over 3 days
Sentry tournament is just 42 players but gets OWGR
Fed ex cup playoff has just 30 players but gets OWGR

I actually think there might be a couple more as well, if they can do it on the OGA tour then LIV should get points.

I want the best players playing in the majors, LIV players not getting points will make the world rankings a joke.

Again, that is what the money is for..

Until they play 72 holes and have a feeder system, this is not a conversion.

Back