Draft Expert PMBangers' (and ‘friends’) 2022 Draft Board

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 1511211
So with two of the main U18's comps having their seasons completely done and dusted, it's a good opportunity to come out with a fresh rankings. Thought I'd take it to top 50 given we're getting closer to the period where fans will know where abouts their clubs will be selecting. As always happy to answer questions, I have a list of about 50 more players I view as 'draftable' as well, so there's depth in the draft but I'm not 100% convinced on anyone from about 35 onwards which is partially exciting and frustrating.

In terms of tiers, I probably see it as the Top 5 in Tier 1, 6-12 Tier 2, 13-30 Tier 3, 31-46 Tier 4 and the rest from there are all on a similar level
How come you have Wardlaw at 1 when he hasn’t played all season and Ashcroft has dominated the year

How come you have Wardlaw at 1 when he hasn’t played all season and Ashcroft has dominated the year
The best performed junior isn’t always the best performed AFL player when all is said and done. Can’t deny Will’s form this year but Wardlaw has been better than Will in both games they have both been on the same field for, Wardlaw has some great upside and was very unlucky with his body failing at crucial parts of the year.

The best performed junior isn’t always the best performed AFL player when all is said and done. Can’t deny Will’s form this year but Wardlaw has been better than Will in both games they have both been on the same field for, Wardlaw has some great upside and was very unlucky with his body failing at crucial parts of the year.
👆
What he said, I think Wardlaw has a higher ceiling due to his athleticism and contested work

While we're talking Anglos......I can't remember but does anybody recall if this guy was good at footy? Must have been a WA 16;'s squad member.

Photo courtesy of the Heraldsun.

943e4c826cc733abd82e865bd1470312

Unless he was going to be hands down the AFL GOAT, he's better off in cricket where he's a decent chance of becoming one of/the goat.

have been some posts re: potentially not making it. Ideally we can give him a rookie spot and put a decent program in place to support (given we have the Tiwi academy, might be worth investing in it!)

100%. Even if he's a VFL player who is a place to stay with for some kids to come down and train. Not to mention Essendon releasing him to have regular time up there.

What's are your knocks on Ginbey?
Kicking is the main one, fairly inconsistent with it especially when he's playing as a midfielder. But mainly it's that I see him as a lockdown defender at the next level moreso than a main big contested ball winner, so the ranking might be a bit harsh for that really

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kicking is the main one, fairly inconsistent with it especially when he's playing as a midfielder. But mainly it's that I see him as a lockdown defender at the next level moreso than a main big contested ball winner, so the ranking might be a bit harsh for that really

Honestly seeing him as a lockdown defender just makes me want him more

How does Lachlan Cowan go on a wing and how would you see him fitting in at the Blues in terms of list needs if he fell to our 2nd rounder?

How does Lachlan Cowan go on a wing and how would you see him fitting in at the Blues in terms of list needs if he fell to our 2nd rounder?
I reckon he'll make a great wing at AFL Level, maybe even better than as a defender. Has the speed, two way running and long kick to be a game breaking sort.

Can't say I know too much about Carltons list tbh, but he's the type that I think any club could utilise to some degree

I reckon he'll make a great wing at AFL Level, maybe even better than as a defender. Has the speed, two way running and long kick to be a game breaking sort.

Can't say I know too much about Carltons list tbh, but he's the type that I think any club could utilise to some degree
Who else do you see having the ability to be high level wingers at AFL level?
Almost as big a need at the dogs as a key defender

Who else do you see having the ability to be high level wingers at AFL level?
Almost as big a need at the dogs as a key defender
Tsatas is the main one but more of an attacking wingman than well rounded. Hollands has the running capacity for it and will likely start his career out there or at half back. Hotton may end up a winger given his size, but I think he'll be one with enough to him to play rover long term. Coby Burgiel is another who could end up a good winger, but similar to Hotton I'd want him around stoppages as often as possible.

Later on the likes of Kobe Ryan, Darcy Jones, Billy Dowling, Darcy Edmends, Jason Gillbee are a few that could do it well, but all are more 25+ selections imo

Tsatas is the main one but more of an attacking wingman than well rounded. Hollands has the running capacity for it and will likely start his career out there or at half back. Hotton may end up a winger given his size, but I think he'll be one with enough to him to play rover long term. Coby Burgiel is another who could end up a good winger, but similar to Hotton I'd want him around stoppages as often as possible.

Later on the likes of Kobe Ryan, Darcy Jones, Billy Dowling, Darcy Edmends, Jason Gillbee are a few that could do it well, but all are more 25+ selections imo
Caleb Mitchell shows a bit for that kind of role too?

Caleb Mitchell shows a bit for that kind of role too?
Bound to forget a couple, but yes I do like him on the wing, I do wonder whether he'd be better off on a back flank at the next level given how strong he is in the air, could be a very good interceptor if given the right development imo and it's an increasingly important role

Bound to forget a couple, but yes I do like him on the wing, I do wonder whether he'd be better off on a back flank at the next level given how strong he is in the air, could be a very good interceptor if given the right development imo and it's an increasingly important role
For sure, wouldn't be disapointed if the Crows looked at him with a later pick if we use one...what I particularly like with him is his two way running as well.

View attachment 1511211
So with two of the main U18's comps having their seasons completely done and dusted, it's a good opportunity to come out with a fresh rankings. Thought I'd take it to top 50 given we're getting closer to the period where fans will know where abouts their clubs will be selecting. As always happy to answer questions, I have a list of about 50 more players I view as 'draftable' as well, so there's depth in the draft but I'm not 100% convinced on anyone from about 35 onwards which is partially exciting and frustrating.

In terms of tiers, I probably see it as the Top 5 in Tier 1, 6-12 Tier 2, 13-30 Tier 3, 31-46 Tier 4 and the rest from there are all on a similar level
Hey Bangers.

Couple of questions. I'm trying to come to grips with WCE not picking Wardlaw. Might see his hammies as too big a risk. So...

1. Would you say Sheezel plays like a Bolton/Greene type? Dangerous fwd who can rotate through the midfield?
2. Is he round one 2023 ready?

Hey Bangers.

Couple of questions. I'm trying to come to grips with WCE not picking Wardlaw. Might see his hammies as too big a risk. So...

1. Would you say Sheezel plays like a Bolton/Greene type? Dangerous fwd who can rotate through the midfield?
2. Is he round one 2023 ready?
More so Toby, both can play above their size given how strong they are in the air and with their leading patterns, both are primarily first possession getters around stoppages when they play midfield and both kick some * off good goals, whilst not being overly athletic.

I just think it's more likely that Sheezel stays as a forward though, keep him where he's strongest and let him shine. He's not really a game changing midfielder like Toby or Bolton tend to be when thrown in there, more so just reliable.

And yes, he'll be playing early next year given his game doesn't rely on size and he's already got elite endurance

Champs over and done with, my notes on some of the players from the final game will be out in the coming days on rookiemecentral, because I know how much you all love my worthless thoughts I will share it here 🤗

Ashcroft a deserving Larke Medallist, the kid has had an award packed year with this, the BOG honours in the Granny, a Premiership medal, TOTY selection, undoubtedly team of the Champs selection and probably going to get taken Number 1 Overall, he's been utterly dominant, I reckon he could've had 2touches today and still won the medal tbh.

And with that, worthwhile taking a punt at the team of the champs, or at least what my team of the champs is;

B Lewis Hayes (VIC Metro) - Tom McCallum (ALL) - Jakob Ryan (SA)
HB Harley Reid (VIC Country) - Josh Weddle (VIC Metro) - Max Michalanny (SA)
C Darcy Jones (WA) - Will Ashcroft (VIC Metro) - Billy Dowling (SA)
HF Harry Sheezel (VIC Metro) - Aaron Cadman (VIC Country) - Nick Watson (VIC Metro)
FF Jed Walter (ALL) - Matthew Jefferson (VIC Metro) - Harry Rowston (ALL)
FOL Harry Barnett (SA) - Jhye Clark (VIC Country) - Reuben Ginbey (WA)
INT Mattaes Phillipou (SA) - Oliver Hollands (VIC Country) - Cam Mackenzie (VIC Metro) - Adam D'Aloia (SA)

Champs over and done with, my notes on some of the players from the final game will be out in the coming days on rookiemecentral, because I know how much you all love my worthless thoughts I will share it here 🤗

Ashcroft a deserving Larke Medallist, the kid has had an award packed year with this, the BOG honours in the Granny, a Premiership medal, TOTY selection, undoubtedly team of the Champs selection and probably going to get taken Number 1 Overall, he's been utterly dominant, I reckon he could've had 2touches today and still won the medal tbh.

And with that, worthwhile taking a punt at the team of the champs, or at least what my team of the champs is;

B Lewis Hayes (VIC Metro) - Tom McCallum (ALL) - Jakob Ryan (SA)
HB Harley Reid (VIC Country) - Josh Weddle (VIC Metro) - Max Michalanny (SA)
C Darcy Jones (WA) - Will Ashcroft (VIC Metro) - Billy Dowling (SA)
HF Harry Sheezel (VIC Metro) - Aaron Cadman (VIC Country) - Nick Watson (VIC Metro)
FF Jed Walter (ALL) - Matthew Jefferson (VIC Metro) - Harry Rowston (ALL)
FOL Harry Barnett (SA) - Jhye Clark (VIC Country) - Reuben Ginbey (WA)
INT Mattaes Phillipou (SA) - Oliver Hollands (VIC Country) - Cam Mackenzie (VIC Metro) - Adam D'Aloia (SA)
Ashcroft Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Back