Not open for further replies.
Contract status of all players now fully updated

Last edited:

TerryFilk

Club Legend
Sep 5, 2022
AFL Club
West Coast
Hopefully Shuey or Sheed rotate through as well in order to give Hough, Culley and Chesser time in the guts.

I think Chesser will start off at HBF and play some wing, hopefully we do see him get some minutes in the engine room though

Culley will definitely be exclusively inside you’d think

Hough will be on a wing

Ryan, Allen, Waterman

Cripps, Darling, Petrucelle

Would be my guess at this stage but I expect a draftee or two might be lined up on half forward

Very close. ;)

Ryan, Allen, Waterman

Cripps, Darling, Sheezel

And thats with ziads mate Waterman under the pump to hold his spot.

TerryFilk

Club Legend
Sep 5, 2022
AFL Club
West Coast
Very close. ;)

Ryan, Allen, Waterman

Cripps, Darling, Sheezel

And thats with ziads mate Waterman under the pump to hold his spot.

I can’t see us picking Sheezel tbh

1. Because I think North does

2. I think the club would prefer Wardlaw or Tsatas

Dugg

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
All of Naish West and Trew have been tried and tested. They didn't set the world on fire when they had opportunity. Do not want any of them either as I can't see any upside or growth in them.

Naish had played only 9 AFL games when he came to us a week before the season started.

Had 3-4 really good games for us at the start of the season when our list was obliterated, presumably because he was simply told to go out and play footy. As the season went on, his possessions and skill dropped, arguably once he had to learn our gameplan. Considering the rest of the team had a whole preseason with the new gameplan, yet still struggled, he deserves to be cut some slack.

In the WAFL he was equal 1st at West Coast for average disposals (26 per game, highs of 37, 33 & 32), beating out much more experienced players on our list (SPS: 18, Petch: 14, Langdon: 12).

I understand that there is a knock on his decision making and disposal efficiency aka 'hurt factor', but he deserves a pre-season and full year to prove whether he can improve those things IMO. Is he a world beater? Absolutely not, but at 23 years old now, he is smack bang in the age bracket we desperately need and could easily turn into a starting or 2nd choice winger for us.

Last edited:

Spooky17

Premiership Player
Mar 19, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Naish was 22 and had played only 9 AFL games when he came to us a week before the season started.

Had 3-4 really good games for us at the start of the season when our list was obliterated, presumably because he was simply told to go out and play footy. As the season went on, his possessions and skill dropped, arguably once he had to learn our gameplan. Considering the rest of the team had a whole preseason with the new gameplan, yet still struggled, he deserves to be cut some slack.

In the WAFL he was equal 1st at West Coast for average disposals (26 per game, highs of 37, 33 & 32), beating out much more experienced players on our list (SPS: 18, Petch: 14, Langdon: 12).

I understand that there is a knock on his decision making and disposal efficiency aka 'hurt factor', but he deserves a pre-season and full year to prove whether he can improve those things IMO. Is he a world beater? Absolutely not, but at 23 years old now, he is smack bang in the age bracket we desperately need and could easily turn into a starting or 2nd choice winger for us.
Agreed. Was arguably one of our best in the first 8-10 games.

Offers us pace and willingness to take the riskier options when moving the ball forward.

Certainly fits in the age bracket we are lacking in.

Would like to see him retained as a rookie for a year.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
I can’t see us picking Sheezel tbh

1. Because I think North does

2. I think the club would prefer Wardlaw or Tsatas

Sheezel may be an elite talent but do you commit to picking a half forward flanker at the start of a rebuild and use your best draft pick for over a decade?

As a key cornerstone of a rebuild is a half forward essential enough to use pick 2 on?

Gun mid, yes.

Gun KP player, yes.

Gun flanker? Not too sure about that

Phillapou just makes sense IMO. Even if we use pick 2 which I dont think is needed and we could trade down and still land him.

The trade down would need to still end up before both SA clubs picks.

Enough with the draft talk in the contracts thread gaiz. Keyser is now copy/pasting this convo into the dump thread as we speak.
EC8B0209-E6DD-4723-81A2-6BD20629DD35.jpeg

Aug 23, 2022
AFL Club
West Coast
Sheezel may be an elite talent but do you commit to picking a half forward flanker at the start of a rebuild and use your best draft pick for over a decade?

As a key cornerstone of a rebuild is a half forward essential enough to use pick 2 on?

Gun mid, yes.

Gun KP player, yes.

Gun flanker? Not too sure about that

Phillapou just makes sense IMO. Even if we use pick 2 which I dont think is needed and we could trade down and still land him.
Only an opinion but I reckon we will do the following

Cadman at pick 2

Why? Well Kennedy has retired and Dixon delisted.

Complements Allen, Cadman would play a half forward role getting up the ground when required with Allen playing deeper in attack.

Both Williams whilst not finished products don’t at this stage fill the position to the standard required.

Cadman is a Vic country boy playing for Gwv Rebels so like Chesser would need to move to Melbourne away from home so would be seen as a safer bet re go home factor.

Seen as a leader in the teams he’s playing in just won the team spirit award for Vic country in the championships.

Cadman and Harley Reid both stood up in the last quarter of the final the other day. Players that stand up in big moments are gold (hey Dom Sheed 😍)

If Cadman went number one in the draft then I see us trying to live trade down and chase a mid.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Ryan, Allen, Waterman

Cripps, Darling, Petrucelle

Would be my guess at this stage but I expect a draftee or two might be lined up on half forward

2023 Round 1

Ryan Allen Brockman
Cripps Darling Shuey (rotating with Kelly)

Hough Robertson Chesser
Nic, Kelly, Sheed

Yeo Gov Duggan
Cole Barrass Hurn

Int : B Williams, Gaff, Jones, Culley

Depth : Petrucelle, Clark, Rotham, Redden, Waterman, O'Neil, H Edwards, L Edwards

Hough, Roberts9n and Chesser all have good pace. Finally our mids dont look so slow.

So 2 trades but no draftees play round 1.

Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Why is The Poo rated so highly on here for our first, when we have Pick 2, and The Poo barely makes the top 5 of any phantom draft?

Is it just because y'all want another first rounder?

Just draft Sheezel and be done with it. Your average HFF doesn't rack up the touches the way he does, and he hits the scoreboard far more than the last bloke we picked with a top 5 pick.

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
Part of what killed us (the Lions) between 2011 and 2016, is that we kept trading in depth, to "protect the kids", but those depth players were largely not up to standard in a poor team, and we ended up playing the kids ahead of them anyway, because they were more talented.

We gave those depth players 3 or 4 year contracts, to get them across, so we found our list partly hamstrung, until we could get those players off this list to free up cap space.

The depth that can actually play, will come mostly from your draftees.

Otherwise you need decent players who either, want to come home, or you're willing to over pay somewhat to get them across, while not overpaying your draftees on their second contract, until they have proven themselves. But you need to actually give up decent picks (i.e. second round picks) to get those types in.
Plus your disastrous trade for Beams. You were saved when you sold him back to the 🥧

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back