Prediction GWS THE FUTURE

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry for continuing down this path but I assume the idea of playing a game during the Easter Show has been floated and dismissed. But wouldn't it be cool though. Could be free entry with Easter Show ticket - get some new eyeballs on the game - some of the country people who make up the backbone of the show are from those AFL areas and would love it - while people who came mostly to watch the game would probably end up spending some money at the show too - win win.
I suppose there's some insurmountable problem with how the stadium is set up for the show stuff, but it's nice to daydream.

One thing I hope Kingsley brings to the club is an insight into how and why Victorian teams are able to inflict heavy defeats on non-Victorian teams in grand finals.

Richmond did it to Adelaide and ourselves, Hawthorn and Geelong have done it to Sydney, Geelong did it to Port Adelaide, Hawthorn did it to West Coast.

The only example in the last 20 years of a non-Victorian club inflicting a heavy GF defeat on a Victorian club is Brisbane in 2003.

It seems to be structural. I'd like to know Kingsley's views on how you could effectively counter it.

Got me thinking if there'll be any effects on GWS considering the NRL results over the weekend.

Having a grand final between teams from western Sydney and the blanket coverage across the sports media can't be a good thing.

Capturing the 'casual' viewer and turning them into a follower / member is now just that bit harder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When I used to attend games I would nearly always see Chris Bowen with his kids in the crowd barracking for the Giants - and not in some exclusive corporate box, but in the sitting with us commoners in the General admission stands.

I don't agree with a lot of his policies, but I've got to give credit where it is due - He really does put in the hard yards to engage with his local Western Sydney electorate.

If Dutton had half a brain he'd know that Western Sydney is critical to an election being won or lost. Statements like this don't help.

One thing I hope Kingsley brings to the club is an insight into how and why Victorian teams are able to inflict heavy defeats on non-Victorian teams in grand finals.
Since 2000, the average margin of victory for interstate teams against Victorian teams in grand finals is 20 points. For Victorian teams against interstate teams, it's 69 points.

No wonder they want the grand final always held in Melbourne.

Got me thinking if there'll be any effects on GWS considering the NRL results over the weekend.

Having a grand final between teams from western Sydney and the blanket coverage across the sports media can't be a good thing.
The flogging in the AFLW won't do much for the brand either.

So guys I have been giving this a lot of thought I am just unsure how to put it in writing properly yet but going to give it a crack.

A new era...
The AFL is moving into a new era whereby our drafting it moving in a similar way to what happens in America. As what is happening this year at the Gold Coast Suns they are moving on salary (Jack Bowes) by offering up a draft pick (pick #7). They way I see this going is clubs needing talent are willing to take on big salaries of clubs which have a plethora of talent ie. GWS and GCS.

How this fits in for the Giants...
I see how this would fit in for the Giants into the future is say for example this year during trade period we load up on future selections for the 2023 draft. Namely Geelong's 1st rounder 2023, Richmond's 1st rounder 2023, Collingwood 2nd rounder 2023 plus obviously our own selections.
What I think should be the plan for the Giants is look to keep moving those picks further into the future each year until there is an absolute gun key forward that we can pounce on. Now what would happen is say the first rounder is an out and out gun (one of the King boys), Sam Darcy, Naughton etc and we are able to pry them out with multiple first rounders.

How the picks and salary cap work into it....
Say we target Aaron Naughton next year and say the Bulldogs are struggling with their salary cap. Let's say Naughton is worth 2 first rounders (which is probably right), we offer up 3 first rounders to land him because we have banked them from the previous year and the Dogs pay a portion of his salary as well for that extra first rounder. For arguments sake let's say the clubs view pick #12 as worth $250k per year we can then get Naughton or a good young proven key forward on our books on a 900k per year deal and only have to pay them $650k per year with the Dogs locked into paying x amount of years the $250k amount.

Why the Giants don't want to just keep loading up on first rounders and using them....
The Giants do NOT want to be in the situation every year where they bring in 2-4 first rounders every year as this smashes the salary cap once their initial 2 year contract expires, likely the first rounders who expect to be playing (rightly or wrongly) from round 1 in a key role can't be guaranteed that and move back to Vic after their initial contract is up and in the case of Hately, Caldwell, Bruhn etc we don't get near enough compensation for them in return.

If Jason McCartney can give me a call I can run him through it haha

If we assume the expected players to depart all leave and we don't make any notable additons through the trade period and that none of our picks next year make a real impact which I think is fair to expect considering most rookies don't in their first year. How does everyone think we're actually going to do next year? Bottom 4 finish? Bottom 6? Fringe of finals? Sneak into the 8? Was sort of thinking if we all expected top 6 at the start of the year of course we lose talent this year but if it's pretty much the same core team but more balanced should we be hoping for the same or have our eyes been opened a bit more about the quality of this list?

If we assume the expected players to depart all leave and we don't make any notable additons through the trade period and that none of our picks next year make a real impact which I think is fair to expect considering most rookies don't in their first year. How does everyone think we're actually going to do next year? Bottom 4 finish? Bottom 6? Fringe of finals? Sneak into the 8? Was sort of thinking if we all expected top 6 at the start of the year of course we lose talent this year but if it's pretty much the same core team but more balanced should we be hoping for the same or have our eyes been opened a bit more about the quality of this list?
I am thinking we make finals

I am WAY more bullish than that. Our list is twice as talented as Collingwood and on par or better than the Swans. Just need the game plan and a good run with injuries.
Well, who knows. We live in hope as sport fans.
This time last year many here thought we were a top 6 team and it looked like Geelong needed a rebuild as they were slow and old.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back