Prediction 2023 Ladder Prediction Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I usually have 3 cracks. One after the season, one after trade period, and one in Feb during pre-season

1. Sydney Swans - Longmire has proven time and time again to be ahead of the game. Queries surrounding the reliance on Franklin and Reid for another year, but I'm sure they'll be serviceable at least, and other Swans will improve. Plenty to like for 2023.
2. Geelong - will make top four once more. I'll believe they are out of contention once I see it with my own eyes. Remarkable football club.
3. Collingwood - I think their pending trades look astute especially if they pick up Mitchell. Brilliantly coached and with great on-field leaders, I see 2023 as another opportunity at success for Collingwood.
4. Carlton - should only be a matter of time before they click. Acres is a big improvement on Newnes, Cottrell etc and I expect improvement from plenty in their middle tier.
5. Richmond - Hopper and Taranto to rescue a depleting Richmond midfield and turn them back into contenders. Have just about the best forward line, and no shortage of on-field leaders.
6. Port Adelaide - barring the first five games, Port played like a finals side for most of 2022 but couldn't overcome their dreadful start. Think they'll have a small resurgence, but I was hoping they'd add a quality mid like Dunkley to bump them back into premiership contention.
7. Brisbane Lions - good list, but time and time again their shortcomings aren't rectified and prevent them from fulfilling their true potential. Keen to see if Ashcroft and Dunkley improve them.
8. Gold Coast - I believe Gold Coast will play their first final in 2023. I'd be more confident if Rankine were part of the side, but nevertheless I see an ambitious squad with good depth, and a returning 50 goal forward in Ben King.

9. Melbourne - think this squad has peaked and needs a small refresh. They have plenty of good VFL depth that should have gotten some opportunity this year, but we'll have to wait and see.
10. Fremantle - losing some quality squad depth whom will likely be replaced by inexperience. One step back, two steps forward for Fremantle. They'll have a weaker side next year but it'll improve them in the long run.
11. Adelaide - slowly on the right path. Nicks is a good coach and they've found some gems. I like what they're building but it's not ready yet.
12. Western Bulldogs - not seeing it. Won't improve with Gardner, Keath and Cordy leading the defence. I'd be hoping for Jones and Naughton to be leading the way in round one, as tough as it is to drag Naughton from goals. Dunkley is a tough loss.
13. St Kilda - could be top 6 if things go well. It's hard to get geared up about this team. Needs more time.
14. Essendon - after having them top four last season, I won't believe this team is good until I see it.
15. Hawthorn - love Sam Mitchell and think he'll take Hawthorn the right route, but it's much too early to be expecting big things from them
16. North Melbourne - Clarkson will bring this club off its knees, but a couple of years of patience is needed for a young midfield and defence.
17. GWS Giants - even if their midfield has been a weakness for a while, it's hard to pump them up whilst losing so much depth. The future starts with this draft.
18. West Coast - just not a good list. Needs a few years of smart drafting and trading to get back to finals contention.

Not being a smartarse at all... so respectfully saying it does make sense when you consider that Geelong just fielded the oldest team in V/AFL history on the weekend. All era's come to an end eventually.
Ah, the old, Geelong about to fall off a cliff! They never do, they just keep reloading with homesick Falcons and others who want to become instant property developers.

Anyone who enters their ladder predictions after the GF is disqualified - there should be a BF trophy for whoever gets closest.

5 Points for every position you get right
4 if you're one position away
3 if you're two positions away
2 if you're three positions away
1 if you're four or more positions away

1. Brisbane - Adding quality recruits, don't see how they can't go up
2. Sydney - Young team already into a GF, should at least be as good as 2022 if not better
3. Carlton - Biased, but feel we grossly underperformed in the back half of 2022
4. Melbourne - Definitely still a threat and thereabouts the four
5. Geelong - History would say they remain in the hunt but I do suspect they will drop away slightly
6. Collingwood - 6th is probably their worst finishing position, they're a top 8 to top 4 side.
7. Western Bulldogs - Great youth, just not sure they get to the top echelon next year
8. Gold Coast - King back + Chol in + retention of their top end talent (minus Rankine) = first top 8 finish?

9. Fremantle - Stiff, but a big exodus of best 22 (Though Freo will tell you they aren't) players may cost them
10. Richmond - I don't know that Taranto + Hopper are going to be enough to see them contend again
11. Adelaide - Should rise, great youth but not enough top end talent to make the 8
12. Essendon - Lack of cohesion within the four walls this "close" to next season is an issue, but they are talented.
13. Port Adelaide - See them dropping with Dixon, Boak aging and Gray retiring. Rozee is an X-Factor, could prove me wrong.
14. North Melbourne - Clarko should have them playing for eachother, should be good enough for 6-7 wins.
15. Hawthorn - Just not experienced enough yet, though their best is actually very good. Could surprise me.
16. Greater Western Sydney - Not sure the players they've retained are the ones they needed to retain. May slide.
17. West Coast - Most of their superstars lost their aura this year. Can they get it back? Or are they in full rebuild mode now?
18. St. Kilda - Seems a rabble from the outside. Huge call to put them 18th, and no offence intended to Saints posters. I just think they went chips in way too hard with a squad that couldn't contend. Ryder retirement is massive, I reckon they have the worst midfield in the competition now.

1. Carlton
2. Melbourne
3. Geelong
4. Richmond
5. Brisbane
6. Sydney
7. Collingwood
8. Adelaide - my roughy
9. WB
10. Port
11. Fremantle
12. GC
13. Hawthorn
14. GWS
15. WC
16. Essendon
17. North
18. St Kilda

Last edited:
Ah, the old, Geelong about to fall off a cliff! They never do, they just keep reloading with homesick Falcons and others who want to become instant property developers.
i think after winning the premiership in 2022, it is more likely then ever that they fall off the cliff. I expect them in the bottom rungs of the 8.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not being a smartarse at all... so respectfully saying it does make sense when you consider that Geelong just fielded the oldest team in V/AFL history on the weekend. All era's come to an end eventually.
With guys like Parfitt , Menegola and Simpson waiting in the wings we can afford to lose a couple of midfielders if they retire. Hawkins looks like he has another couple of seasons left minimum. Backline is fine, rest of the forwardline is fine.

The end of the era is a way off.

Will Sydney buck the trend of recent Grand Final thrashings, i.e. Footscray and the Giants ?

Or even Port who didn't respond to their prelim nightmare ?

They'll be an interesting watch in 2023.
I think they have a significant coaching advantage over those other 2 teams, which should keep them in good stead. Also young, but that could be a double-edged sword and scar them

1. Melbourne
2. Collingwood
3. Fremantle
4. Brisbane Lions
5. Carlton
6. Western Bulldogs
7. Geelong Cats
8. Gold Coast Suns
12. Adelaide
13. Sydney Swans
14. Hawthorn
15. Essendon
16. Port Adelaide
17. North Melbourne
18. West Coast

Sydney will slide and end up like GWS and Port

Last edited:
1. Melbourne
2. Collingwood
3. Fremantle
4. Brisbane Lions
5. Carlton
6. Western Bulldogs
7. Geelong Cats
8. Gold Coast Suns
12. Adelaide
13. Sydney Swans
14. Hawthorn
15. GWS Giants
16. Port Adelaide
17. North Melbourne
18. West Coast

Sydney will slide and end up like GWS and Port
GWS above Sydney, despite losing two of their best mids? Maybe, if Kingsley is legit, but it's a huge call! Nice and bold.

Will look pretty good if you're right

History suggest after a lopsided grand final loss you drop back. Geelong will see several premiership players call it a day
I imagine the latter to be true, got to imagine going out on a flag surrounded by family and friends (as opposed to 20 and 21) has to be the dream

18. St. Kilda - Seems a rabble from the outside. Huge call to put them 18th, and no offence intended to Saints posters. I just think they went chips in way too hard with a squad that couldn't contend. Ryder retirement is massive, I reckon they have the worst midfield in the competition now.
Gold, this from a supporter of a team beaten by the Saints when we were playing terrible. A midfield that consist of Cripps, Walsh and Hewett beaten roundly by the "worst" midfield in the comp.
Also with our Full back going down in the first half and still McKay and Curnow couldn't kick a winning score.
Okay buddy, Saints will finish last next year. (Slow clap)

Gold, this from a supporter of a team beaten by the Saints when we were playing terrible. A midfield that consist of Cripps, Walsh and Hewett beaten roundly by the "worst" midfield in the comp.
Also with our Full back going down in the first half and still McKay and Curnow couldn't kick a winning score.
Okay buddy, Saints will finish last next year. (Slow clap)
Where do you think St Kilda finish?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back