Game Day 2022 AFL Grand Final Geelong vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Today highlighted again just how hard it is now for an intestate club to try to win a flag against a Victorian team at the MCG.

2007 Geelong beat Port by 119 points
2012 Sydney upset Hawthorn by 10 points
2013 Hawthorn beat Freo by 15 points
2014 Hawthorn beat Sydney by 63 points
2015 Hawthorn beat West Coast by 56 points
2016 Bulldogs beat Sydney by 22 points
2017 Richmond beat Adelaide by 48 points
2018 West Coast upset Collingwood by 5 points
2019 Richmond beat GWS by 89 points
2022 Geelong beat Sydney by 82 points

Just another example of how the deck is stacked against the non Vic clubs.

A lot of it was coming from Alberton as a desperate attempt to deflect away from 119.

When you look at this....... 119 is going to be etched into history for the next 100 years.
No team will even come close.
Look at todays absolute debacle of a GF.....and 119 was another 7 goals away.....
All I can say is.... Thank you Geelong...... Thank you.

119.jpeg

Today highlighted again just how hard it is now for an intestate club to try to win a flag against a Victorian team at the MCG.

Yes, that's what happens when you play without (a) will. ;)

When bringing finishing position into it:
2014 Sydney finish above Hawthorn - plays GF at opponent's home ground
2015 West Coast finished above Hawthorn and pasted them at home in the first week of finals - plays GF at opponent's home ground
2016 Bulldogs finish 7th - gets home state Grand Final (and an umpiring ride that is literally an historical outlier)
2017 Adelaide finish top - plays GF at opponent's home ground
2018 West Coast finishes above Collingwood - plays GF at opponent's home ground

Your best chance as a non-Vic side is to encounter another non-Vic in the GF which has happened 3 times in history (04, 05, 06).

After 2017 I found myself caring a lot less about football as a competition. It's fun entertainment but it's not a fair fight.

Last edited:
When you look at this....... 119 is going to be etched into history for the next 100 years.
Look at todays absolute debacle of a GF.....and 119 was another 7 goals away.....

View attachment 1517480
Interesting that 3 of the top 5 biggest margins have been recent. Perhaps good grounds allows good teams to get the most out of their domination.

Yeah, but they might try to prepare for next year with some kind of weird trip away where they reflect on the grand final and participate in bizarre rituals

Never know where it could lead
They're already ahead of where we were by having a coach who took some responsibility for the result.

The power stance worked as well as any other bullshit ritual that people engage in that have no causitive links to subsequent events.

It impacted the games about as much as the comments in a gameday thread on here do.

We won those finals because we were playing at home and were the better sides on the night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anything can happen.

Melbourne and Richmond were basket cases 10 years ago.

Hopefully I live longer than 15 years.....

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Melbourne and Richmond have inherent advantages that clubs like Adelaide don’t.

We’re a basket case and we don’t have those advantages. Indeed we have to overcome the advantages the Victorian clubs have.

Can’t see the Crows winning one. If they couldn’t get it done as the dominant force they were in 2017, it probably never happens.

Melbourne and Richmond have inherent advantages that clubs like Adelaide don’t.

We’re a basket case and we don’t have those advantages. Indeed we have to overcome the advantages the Victorian clubs have.

Can’t see the Crows winning one. If they couldn’t get it done as the dominant force they were in 2017, it probably never happens.

Not to get back into 2017 too much but this dominant force you speak of had 1 more win than the 6th ranked team. We were offensively brilliant but not a dominant team

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Not to get back into 2017 too much but this dominant force you speak of had 1 more win than the 6th ranked team. We were offensively brilliant but not a dominant team

That’s true, but it’s the most dominant a Crows team has been.

I can’t see us putting together a better side in the future, and it wasn’t good enough at the time.

Makes me feel slightly better that there are 5 worse losses on that list than ours.

Only slightly.

I wonder if one of these will be initiated on the back of another non vic club failing so badly on the big stage

View attachment 1517480
the rock maui GIF

How many of those did the non-Vic team finish higher and should have gotten a home game? It's only a few right?

The 5 year stretch from 14-18 had interstate sides finishing higher, with a 1-4 record in the GF.
Yeah went back and had a look.

West Coast 1-1 (although their other one was an away final due to the system at the time)

Sydney 0-2
Adelaide 0-1

I think 2 of those losses were affected by the ground (ours and Sydney '16). Sydney also won an "away" GF in 2012 though.

IMO the interstate sides are just a bit s**t. We're s**t. Port are s**t. Fremantle s**t. GWS and Gold Coast s**t. Brisbane...?

It's really been left up to Sydney and West Coast. Two well run clubs up against five in Victoria (Geelong, Hawthorn, Richmond, Melbourne, Collingwood) excluding off field issues

Remove this Banner Ad

Back