Geelong - back to back?

Remove this Banner Ad

Power Play

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2017
Brisbane
AFL Club
Richmond
Geelong had a commanding win this weekend, but they had just about everything go right for them this year, and had basically a full list to pick from when finals rolled around while having strong continuity in their best 22 all year.

However, the question must be asked regarding Geelong's premiership chances in 2023, and how likely they are to go back to back. Anyone who's played footy will tell you how hard it is to win a premiership let alone defend one, and Geelong know this better than just about anyone, having last gone back to back 70 years ago despite having some incredibly dominant sides over that time.

Do you think Geelong will go back to back, and how do you like their chances of them being able to successfully defend their premiership?

Any flag is hard to get, and like you say, we had a good run all things considered this year (esp in the second half) with injury.

Just think we finally have some youth stepping up again and finally a game plan that is more suited to finals.

But next year is another year and with a bit of luck it's not a stretch to say there's up to a dozen teams that could win it.

It's too early to say as there will be some retirements in the next few weeks that will change the make-up of the team a lot. At this stage, I'd have to see what the list looks like after the draft to see how they'll go next year. I do think they can make the top 8 again next year, but winning a flag is very hard.

Most impressive and pleasing aspect of this year was the emergence of the younger players. Holmes, De Koning and Stengle are now stars. Close and Henry are among our most important (structurally).
We have a young ruck slowly learning his craft in the VFL and he will be an enormous upgrade over Stanley. May still be 12-18 months away but if he can come in like De Koning did and hold his own, there is every opportunity for this club to win again. The monkey is off the back. Their best was so much better than anyone else's this season.

Geelong had a commanding win this weekend, but they had just about everything go right for them this year, and had basically a full list to pick from when finals rolled around while having strong continuity in their best 22 all year.

However, the question must be asked regarding Geelong's premiership chances in 2023, and how likely they are to go back to back. Anyone who's played footy will tell you how hard it is to win a premiership let alone defend one, and Geelong know this better than just about anyone, having last gone back to back 70 years ago despite having some incredibly dominant sides over that time.

Do you think Geelong will go back to back, and how do you like their chances of them being able to successfully defend their premiership?

I think we will be there or there about next year, but injuries as ever will be important both to the Cats and others.

Can see short term improvement from some players (Zuthrie, Close, Holmes, SDK) With some older hands likely to lose a step, So im going to call that a break even from an overall team quality perspective.

Assuming we have a fully fit list then I think we can back to back. I would expect Melbourne and Sydney to both contend as well, but so long as we have Stengle/Cameron/Hawk in the team then I think we have a structural edge over all the other contenders with a fundamentally more dangerous attacking composition.

Best forward line in the league, best defence in the league. Imagine if they get a dominant ruck and more mids over the off season...

If they are still hungry then they have to be a chance.

Personally i would never tip any team to go back to back.

Only 12 months ago people were talking Melbourne dynasty.
Indeed. The top part of the ladder is tight and it can go either way. Look at how many close games Collingwood had.

We can win the next 5 premierships in a row. Chris Scott is a genius.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The emotion of the win had a sense of an ending to it all

Mentally may be hard for a few to back up and agree we had a charmed run with player availability which was also good management as well.

This team reminds me a little of Carltons 95 flag. An ageing team that experienced frustrations years prior. Entered GF on a 15 game winning streak and was up against a seemingly capable opponent. Both teams then turned it on torching their opposition. In case of 1995 I recall it not fondly.

From memory the following year Carlton starter very well but fell away second half of season and were out of flag contention

Depends on their upcoming trade period, they might have some salary cap space and some timely destination injections. Surely Selwood and maybe Rohan both retire. They are very old and their silver foxes were critical yesterday. Another year into the legs of Smith and Danger, Tuohy and Hawkins are into their mid 30s. Even Blicavs/Stanley are in their 30s. Stengle is the only young player who appears a force.

Bahahaha Geelong back to back? The grandpa's at the retirement home can only go for one round. Please..

How many times do we have to learn this lesson?

Its a hard question to answer until we know how many retirements we have (i remember we had several after 2011 and struggled in 2012) and what players we trade in-for example if we trade in players who are ready to play some afl footy next year like bruhn and heny rather than just draftees that gives us better immediate depth so we can rest older players more. But i think we are a chance although other clubs in particular sydney and melbourne and richmond will all improve again next year so we will have to stay up there. I think most of the older guys will go on except selwood so we should have a good list.

A lot also depends on our ruck stocks as our rucks are 32 and 32 (stanley and ceglar)plus blitz at 31 and a 19yo (conway) who is good but not ready yet. Assuming we dont trade in another ruck we will need to keep them healthy and rotate them or we could struggle.

I do think the quality of younger players (the under 25s) on the list now is better than what we had in 2011 so that will help but there are no guarantees.

Depends on their upcoming trade period, they might have some salary cap space and some timely destination injections. Surely Selwood and maybe Rohan both retire. They are very old and their silver foxes were critical yesterday. Another year into the legs of Smith and Danger, Tuohy and Hawkins are into their mid 30s. Even Blicavs/Stanley are in their 30s. Stengle is the only young player who appears a force.

Rohan is contracted for next year but it will be interesting to see if he retires. Selwood i think will. I agree the ageing rucks is an issue (and id be surprised if we didnt trade a ruck in). Id disagree on the younger players if you purely look under 25 sdk looks like he will be A grade, holmes was huge and clearly would have played yesterday if not injured, close had a breakout year,parfitt has had a bad year with injury but is quite good, zac guthrie has come on hugely this year, miers is very consistent and a good role player, henry absolutely smashed franklin (yes the midfield helps but he is a quality young player). And having seen a bit of our vfl team play this year i have very high hopes for conway neale and dempsey in particular as well as knevitt. The key is we need to retire the old guys gradually over 2-3 years so we arent putting 12 kids in at once.

Lol.
Yes Henry, our rising star runner up Sam DeKoning, Max Holmes who was the highest rated winger in the competition after round 11, Zac Guthrie - none of these young players appear any good

Remove this Banner Ad

Back