Best grand final of the modern era (since 1999)

Best grand final of the modern era/since 1999

• 2003 - Brisbane vs Collingwood

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2013 - Hawthorn vs Fremantle

• 2015 - Hawthorn vs West Coast

• 2019 - Richmond vs GWS

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

White Dogg

Senior List
Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Which grand final is the best grand final of the modern era and why? I've included grand finals from 1999 onwards as that's how many grand finals the forum allows me to include in the poll.

The 2010 draw and 2018 (obviously being a WC fan). So many large momentum swings in both games, a great viewing for neutrals.

2009 and 2018 are the clear standouts for me (I started properly being invested in all teams and games around 2004).

Imma wait for that one dude who posts a meticulous - if opaque - list of every single Premiership winner in freakin' order.

I'm not sure of their metrics for ranking each Premiership win, but - the 2022 Geelong Cats Premiership win should rank in the upper echelon because a) they finished the H+A season 2 wins clear on top of the ladder, and b) they won two of their Finals - on the way to the Premiership - but 10+ goals.

What do we have, 125ish years of Grand Finals? I think this Geelong Premiership should be Top 100 for starters; likely a lot higher. Dominant season.

2002 is always underrated in these threads, fantastic contest, largest margin all game was 9 points.
Best of all Grand Finals Collingwood were involved in in the period, with 2011 second IMO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2002 is always underrated in these threads, fantastic contest, largest margin all game was 9 points.
Yep as a pies fan, I even voted for that one. It’s the only losing GF I can still watch as strangely enough it was one of the best final performances I’ve ever seen Collingwood play in. They played to 110% of their potential but just fell short against one of the greatest e we sides the game has ever seen.

Yep 9 points was the biggest margin all game and was only 8 prior to the akermanis goal.

Super game. One of my all time favourites. Probably the best game Rocca ever played and the conditions were horrible.

Last edited:
2007 because I was 10 so you can imagine it was the happiest day of my life.

This. If the margin didn't blow out in the last quarter it would be considered the best game of football ever played.
You had 2 teams who were clearly the best 2 teams both playing their best footy for 3 qtrs. Some of the goals kicked were amazing individual acts of brilliance Sometimes 1 was after the other. Magnificent contest as a neutral watching and I dislike both teams.

Non Hawthorn....
2002, 2003 would be up there.

2018 was great, wrote off the Eagles during the first quarter. But they kept at it and the goal that won it OMG!!!

2021 was unique, I'm sure a lot of others were also dreading a Bulldogs victory. But Melbourne's late surge in the third and their 4th quarter was magnificent.

From a Hawthorn perspective
The 2014 grand final was peak performance. Hawthorn beating the #1 rated side convincingly. Stopped them playing their own game while playing our own.

2015 was similar the Eagles Web too potentially and weather too hot for the old Hawks. Proved everyone wrong!

The draw in 2010 was epic - also enjoyed 2009 and 2011. A good batch of GFs there.

2002 was an absolute slog.

2006 and 2018 were fantastic too - glad we won those or I’d have never seen them again. 😅

Back