AFL Grand Final AFL 2022 Grand Final - Cats vs Swans Sat Sept 24th 2:30pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • Swans by a goal or less

Votes: 26 9.5%
  • Cats by 7-20

Votes: 75 27.4%
  • Swans by 7-20

Votes: 88 32.1%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 60 21.9%
  • Swans by a lot

Votes: 15 5.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 5 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

As a Hawks fan who has seen a lot of Grand Final wins at the ground, it would suck to play a side that folded so hard. Even in 2014, our win was huge but Sydney still tried hard. They were embarrassing yesterday.
Um....nope, no not at all.

A walkover that was party time from 10 mins into the 3rd quarter is perfectly fine by me.

Such a different feeling from the game, pretty much from arriving for the gate 2 queue at about 1:45 and it being a ghost town (I was expecting the line to be well up the path towards Jolimont Station, there were maybe 50 people in front of me), to the calm almost nothing feeling after the final siren.

Queuing up that long to get the plum seats on level 2, something was a little off when the old guy next to me (so to get a seat there he must have been queuing up for a good four hours minimum) told me he hadn't been to a grand final in years and no longer supported any team: he didn't like what the AFL and the umpires were doing to the game and he had a plan that was going to fix everything. He was planning to write a letter to one of the newspapers that was going to shake everything up. Oh, good... so I'm on about 90 minutes sleep and sitting next to this guy for the grand final. You beauty. He tried to start a conversation again in the third quarter about how - as a Geelong supporter - I must have been hoping for a better contest. Are you effing kidding me? There's nothing better than your team dishing out a good old belting in the grand final when you have 45 minutes of game time to just lap it up.

Maybe it's because I've started my family after 2011, it wasn't going to be the usual big night. I reckon it was the first flag where I really didn't feel that real elation, the electricity about it; it was just a sense of relief that they'd finally done it (I guess it's on a microscopic scale of what you hear some players and coaches speak about) and just a huge sense of happiness for so many of the people involved.

It's a legacy-defining win for so many involved with the club. There's the obvious ones: Patrick Dangerfield, Chris Scott, Joel Selwood, Tom Hawkins... it immediately takes them up to another level as far as their hall of fame credentials go. Is Selwood now Geelong's greatest ever player? Does Dangerfield's combination of a premiership (and likely Gary Ayres Medal) and decade plus of superstardom give him the edge back over Fyfe and Martin? Is Chris Scott now a certain hall of fame coach and has there been anyone to compare with him, as far as two time premiership coaches go? Doesn't Hawkins have to go past nearly everyone besides Franklin now in the discussion of key forwards of the 21st century?

Then there's Jeremy Cameron and Tom Stewart, stars of the game who are closer to the end than the start of their careers (as funny as that sounds in Stewart's case). Mark Blicavs, twice a Carji Greeves Medallist in relative down years, he's every chance to make it a third in a premiership year to go with his first AA. Gary Rohan, now a premiership player and made a huge contribution throughout the finals. Isaac Smith moves along his ex-Hawk 2013-15 teammates on four flags and a Norm Smith for good measure. Rhys Stanley, been a whipping boy for years, pretty much his whole career. He had an excellent season and combined perfectly with Blicavs to overpower Tom Hickey at the stoppages and around the ground.

Mitch Duncan, Cam Guthrie, Zach Tuohy - around the 225-250 game mark now and acknowledged as very good players for quite a while, now they have a premiership (a second for Duncan) in the twilight of their careers. I guess that's what happens when you have so many players in their late 20s and 30s in the team, once they build a commanding lead, they're going to keep playing the game like it's their last shot and never take their foot off the pedal.

Fun fact for those who made it this far: there's been only six guernsey numbers that have featured in each of Geelong's four premierships and four are #30 or higher (including #44 and #45)

What a clown take.

You beat Sydney by 81

And Collingwood by 1...just a few weeks ago.

I WONDER WHY PEOPLE ARE EVEN WONDERING THIS.

I'm not saying Collingwood would have won...but they would have been 100% more competitive.

Now go away

It really shouldn't matter but I think people will 100% link this debate to the relative fortunes of Sydney and Collingwood in 2023.

For the record though, Sydney was the only team to really pull our pants down at any stage of the 2022 season and as far as I'm concerned, they were a much better side overall than Collingwood. With the number of players at Geelong who were going to play this game like it was their last chance, in hindsight, once any team let it get out to 4+ goals, all bets were off.

Thank goodness for Daisey Pearce. She’s easily the best special comments person we’ve had. I’ve noticed so many times she says such amazing things and some of the boys club just don’t acknowledge them. Love how Hodgey for one always shows her the respect she deserves.
My view also. I like how much less blokey Hodgey is than the others.

I have no idea why, you guys were the fittest home and away team of the year.

Certainly up there.

I think the Collingwood game took its toll....Hickey, Parker, Rampe, P McCartin, Heywood, Reid, Lloyd....most struggled.

Franklin was horrid. His marking is a joke for a player his size and athleticism.
Not once did he even look like taking an overhead grab.
Yes, yes. We know.

His busted thumbs mean he’s NEVER going to be a CHF - Why do you think Sydney needs a fit Reid?

Spare me from child-minded ‘experts’.....

(Now wait for the ‘Adult’ reply...🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
It’s probably not talked about how pathetic Sydney have been in quite a few of their GF appearances. 14 they were absolute favourites and were annihilated, embarrassingly so. 16 the umpires had a bit to do with it but you’d think 1st should beat 7th, and today was literally beyond embarrassing.

It’s probably the leaders? Parker played well but he escapes criticism as he has done nothing in some big finals before. Rampe, Lloyd. They’re also pretty young and green. Literally scraped home against Collingwood. They were smashed in the contest. I just think when the heat comes in terms of physical contact they wilt.
You don’t think much, do you?

05 - win
06 - 1 point loss
12 - win
14 - Flogging
16 - 3 goal loss, 8-22 free kick tally
22 - Flogging

So how’s the Demons record looking this century, toe-rag?

Last edited:
Yes, yes. We know.

His busted thumbs mean he’s NEVER going to be a CHF - Why do you think Sydney needs a fit Reid?

Spare me from child-minded ‘experts’.....

(Now wait for the ‘Adult’ reply...🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Nah, go back and watch him in year one at Hawthorn, was never capable of taking a leaping mark above his head. Would have to have a 10 inch vertical leap which is probably now -1 at 35 years of age.

Better luck next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's nothing better than your team dishing out a good old belting in the grand final when you have 45 minutes of game time to just lap it up.
I can only hope to experience that one day - it must be bloody sweet. It's so much better for supporters of the winning team than a nail-biter grand final.

It’s probably not talked about how pathetic Sydney have been in quite a few of their GF appearances. 14 they were absolute favourites and were annihilated, embarrassingly so. 16 the umpires had a bit to do with it but you’d think 1st should beat 7th, and today was literally beyond embarrassing.

It’s probably the leaders? Parker played well but he escapes criticism as he has done nothing in some big finals before. Rampe, Lloyd. They’re also pretty young and green. Literally scraped home against Collingwood. They were smashed in the contest. I just think when the heat comes in terms of physical contact they wilt.
In '14 and this year they were beaten within the first 30-40 minutes by high scoring and fast scoring teams.

Going from lockdowns back to group gatherings for GF’s means less TV’s are watching the game not necessarily less people
Agree , ppl watching at pubs are probably not countered . And 20 ppl at a bbq might be 10 tvs last year in a lockdown. Hope afl dont use ratings as an excuse to move the game till 430pm or beyond . Just makes day longer , trust me as Dees supporter from last year.

It's a legacy-defining win for so many involved with the club. There's the obvious ones: Patrick Dangerfield, Chris Scott, Joel Selwood, Tom Hawkins... it immediately takes them up to another level as far as their hall of fame credentials go. Is Selwood now Geelong's greatest ever player? Does Dangerfield's combination of a premiership (and likely Gary Ayres Medal) and decade plus of superstardom give him the edge back over Fyfe and Martin? Is Chris Scott now a certain hall of fame coach and has there been anyone to compare with him, as far as two time premiership coaches go? Doesn't Hawkins have to go past nearly everyone besides Franklin now in the discussion of key forwards of the 21st century?
I just ******* spewed up.

Let me write that in a headline for you.

Patrick Dangerfield finally winning a (sole) Premiership to go with his Brownlow win, PLUS his 'decade of SUPERSTARDOM' (Your words, not mine) Now gives him the edge over triple, I repeat TRIPLE Premiership winning and (Wait for it) TRIPLE Norm Smith Medalist, Mr Dustin Martin?

Despite Dangerfield finally doing something with his career, compared to Martin, we are still here....

maxresdefault.jpg

Enjoy your win, but let's not get carried away.

Patrick Dangerfield finally winning a (sole) Premiership to go with his Brownlow win, PLUS his 'decade of SUPERSTARDOM' (Your words, not mine) Now gives him the edge over triple, I repeat TRIPLE Premiership winning and (Wait for it) TRIPLE Norm Smith Medalist, Mr Dustin Martin?

Despite Dangerfield finally doing something with his career, compared to Martin, we are still here....

maxresdefault.jpg

**** me there’s a lot of bile in that post. Embarrassing.

maxresdefault.jpg

He's earned twice as many best and fairests as Martin and more All Australians than Martin and Fyfe combined. How do you earn eight All Australian selections (equal most of all-time) without putting together a decade of elite football?

If Martin had eight All Australians and four best and fairests, we'd be talking about him as the greatest of all time and while that is an apt description for him as a finals performer - especially in grand finals - his peak, which unless he has a huge comeback year in 2023 looks like it lasted for five years (2016-2020), was very brief for an all-time great. He peaked quite late for a midfielder and his time as an elite player of the competition looks to have finished early. It's the only knock on his career. Dangerfield now doesn't have any knocks on his career, well not unless YouTube videos count.

It's like the Selwood argument as Geelong's greatest ever player against the likes of Polly Farmer, Ablett Senior, Ablett Junior. There's never been a time in his career where I've thought Selwood was dominating the competition and taking the piss like the Abletts and Farmer did, but he's now won more premierships than the three of them put together, played far more games, captained a premiership team, won more Carjis than them and made 6 AAs to boot. There comes a point where sheer weight of numbers overtakes the mythical status of some past legends.

He's earned twice as many best and fairests as Martin and more All Australians than Martin and Fyfe combined. How do you earn eight All Australian selections (equal most of all-time) without putting together a decade of elite football?

If Martin had eight All Australians and four best and fairests, we'd be talking about him as the greatest of all time and while that is an apt description for him as a finals performer - especially in grand finals - his peak, which unless he has a huge comeback year in 2023 looks like it lasted for five years (2016-2020), was very brief for an all-time great. He peaked quite late for a midfielder and his time as an elite player of the competition looks to have finished early. It's the only knock on his career. Dangerfield now doesn't have any knocks on his career, well not unless YouTube videos count.

It's like the Selwood argument as Geelong's greatest ever player against the likes of Polly Farmer, Ablett Senior, Ablett Junior. There's never been a time in his career where I've thought Selwood was dominating the competition and taking the piss like the Abletts and Farmer did, but he's now won more premierships than the three of them put together, played far more games, captained a premiership team, won more Carjis than them and made 6 AAs to boot. There comes a point where sheer weight of numbers overtakes the mythical status of some past legends.
This is a great reply and in all honesty my post probably wasn't worthy of something so well argued and I'll give you respect for that.

This is a great reply and in all honesty my post probably wasn't worthy of something so well argued and I'll give you respect for that.

Respect back, of course.

I guess it's really a question for a different thread on how Martin's relatively brief period of dominance - including perhaps the greatest individual season ever - is measured against the other all-time greats of yesteryear and someone like Dangerfield who had a more conventionally great career: stacks of B&Fs and AAs, a peak of around 10 years and a premiership or two.

Back