Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time to celebrate getting Jones back (at the age of 31) for a bag of chips & can of coke? (sarcasm intended)

Dalrymple got us the players that landed the 2016 flag, since he's moved on our recruiting has been hit & miss
I’m not sure what any of that has to do with my post.

Did you quote the wrong person or have the Bulldogs finally caused you to have your meltdown lol.

Can someone with more experience than me explain how when Geelong turn the ball over they have 2 or 3 v 1 in defence.

Then they attack and they rarely ever look outnumbered.

As opposed to us this year who would attack & be outnumbered, then we'd turn it over & be outnumbered the other way as well?

Is that simply not running hard enough both ways so it doesn't matter where the ball is we aren't bringing enough bodies to the contest?

Not a joke, serious question / comment.

I’m not sure what any of that has to do with my post.

The first line was the response to your question on who are we looking at getting.

The multi quote thingy didnt work & the second line was a response to previous discussion on Dalrymple etc

The first line was the response to your question on who are we looking at getting.

The multi quote thingy didnt work & the second line was a response to previous discussion on Dalrymple etc
Still not understanding the correlation between my inquiry into the Barrass rumour and the celebration due to getting Jones, even though there has been none and every user on here is either constantly bemoaning the move or just saying “whatever”

We are definitely looking at getting more than just him.

Look at the way Grundy is handling the Collingwood salary dumb compared to the way Treloar handled his in 2020.
A bit different as Treloar had already altered contract to help out then did it again. On top of that rumours about his relationship with some of the playing group.
We’ll within his rights to let Pies fans know he wouldn’t leave without a fight. The same loyalty will have us rewarded in spades and I’d be more than happy having him in the trenches next to me

Any update on who we are looking at getting during the trade period? I remember you mentioning Barrass a few weeks back
Nah... unfortunately word on what players have gone cold. I think Barrass just is too ungettable. But never know.

Lots of gnashing of teeth going on here over Geelong.

Let’s not forget they had 15 coaches this year, and happily paid the soft cap tax. Wise move if you are going to recruit VFL players, because all of your draft picks have gone on trades. You have to have the staff to develop them.

We don’t. We have VFL players and a shortage of coaches. Young players who are underdeveloped. Recipe for disaster, which hopefully the club has recognised and in the process of rectifying.

As a direct matchup (which they were most of the game) I think Fox had his measure particularly given he wasn’t getting any help from any of his mates.

Cameron wasn’t Rohan level bad by any means, I just think he was below the level I’d expect in an 81 point win.
Surprised Rohan on had 14 pressure acts. He did a lot of chasing and 2nd-3rd efforts. Played role OK not allowing easy exits. With Hawkins a beast, Cameron a mobile tall, Close,Miers, Stengle all quick and with pressure, Rohan maintains the speed and pressure whilst having the ability to fly and grimy ball to ground. He compliments their structure.

2016 premiership defensive unit.

FB: Boyd (rookie selection), Hamling (DFA), Morris (rookie selection)
HB: JJ (rookie selection), Roberts (Pre season selection), Wood (Pick 43)

Biggs (bargain basement trade).

Might surprise many of you but we already have a premiership level defensive if we had the right gameplan and development in place. Geelong and Swans defences aren't exactly littered with high end selections that were drafted as defenders.

Respectfully disagree.
only Trengove and Keath are KPDs .
And only Keath you can argue was a good and important get.

Dont see you can argue our stocks of KPDs have been woefully inadequate across the whole list for a long time.

The ruck , yep also diabolical
This year will make it at least 6 mature defenders brought in over 6 off seasons, which is much more reflective of the defensive issues than the key defender stocks which haven't been good but weren't the reason the side lost the grand final. In 2016 the backline was very stable with ordinary key defensive stocks, but they worked together and had better pressure applied up field. In the last two years Wood, Crozier, JJ and Williams went from walk up starts in the backline to out of there completely which makes for a much disjointed setup.

What I learned from the grand final is that a flag can be won in multiple ways and chasing what Geelong have done is a fool's errand.
We need to set the next trend.
Correct, our game has to evolve to a new level. That is why Bevo needs to get good people around him, or else, we need a new coach in 2024. can't have another disaster like 2022.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lots of gnashing of teeth going on here over Geelong.

Let’s not forget they had 15 coaches this year, and happily paid the soft cap tax. Wise move if you are going to recruit VFL players, because all of your draft picks have gone on trades. You have to have the staff to develop them.

We don’t. We have VFL players and a shortage of coaches. Young players who are underdeveloped. Recipe for disaster, which hopefully the club has recognised and in the process of rectifying.
why do we have a shortage of coaches? are we not making enough profit to afford them? serious question if anybody can answer any other reasons maybe? thanks in advance

Look at the way Grundy is handling the Collingwood salary dumb compared to the way Treloar handled his in 2020.
Or maybe Collingwood is handling it better therefore less friction involved with Grundy etc

Wright and McRae handling Grundy as compared to Buckley and Guy handling Trealor.

why do we have a shortage of coaches? are we not making enough profit to afford them? serious question if anybody can answer any other reasons maybe? thanks in advance
Bevo is paid a very large chunk of money if the rumors are to be believed.

Time to celebrate getting Jones back (at the age of 31) for a bag of chips & can of coke? (sarcasm intended)

Dalrymple got us the players that landed the 2016 flag, since he's moved on our recruiting has been hit & miss
I think the recruitment is still pretty good. We just seem to have more project players under the new management rather than ready mades.

At this stage I’d really only call Cavarra and Buttler busts from the national.

Also it’s hard to put the Footscray players on the recruiter as it looks like there is some internal pressure to pick players within the program as a strategy to make our vfl team look as desirable as possible to attract mature age talent. I don’t like some of the players we have picked up but I am behind the idea.

Talking to my brother yesterday and one of his mates owns a butcher shop in Ballarat, mad dogs supporter. Chris Maple comes into the shop all the time and they are friends.
* Maple wasn't pushed out the door, felt is was time for a change, so took an offer to coach Ballarat.
*Lobb is do or die for them. They will do it what it takes to get him and Maple pretty certain he will be at the Dogs next season.
  • Bev really considering playing Naughton in the backline again. Not set in stone he will continue to play forward.
  • Guys playing with Jones at Currumbin were amazed at how professional and how good he was. Desperate to play AFL again.
  • Marra very easy to coach. Didn't sulk when he got dropped, went to training and took it on the chin. Doesn't expect any favours being the no.1 draft pick. Complete opposite to what D.Mitchell says he is.
  • Players, coaches from other clubs already worried about Darcy. Players from other sides cant believe how good he is for someone who hasn't had a full pre season.
I understand the bold part, he is going to be scary good, then his brother comes along also.

Needs to be addressed. Line up Geelong's coaching group and ours and ours it's frighteningly poor. It makes a massive difference. Huge. Look at Geelong's skills, their strategy (Hawkins in ruck inside forward 50 in first quarter. Two goals broken the game open), the development of players (Stengle). You invest in coaches and it pays off. Look at all the time and space they had and the forward and defence pressure they put on Saturday (that is hard running both ways) and you can bet they have a running coach.

Time for us to get serious.

Can someone with more experience than me explain how when Geelong turn the ball over they have 2 or 3 v 1 in defence.

Then they attack and they rarely ever look outnumbered.

As opposed to us this year who would attack & be outnumbered, then we'd turn it over & be outnumbered the other way as well?

Is that simply not running hard enough both ways so it doesn't matter where the ball is we aren't bringing enough bodies to the contest?

Not a joke, serious question / comment.
Great question! It’s not funny at all. Hopefully this is one of the first things the new Assistants look at.

Great question! It’s not funny at all. Hopefully this is one of the first things the new Assistants look at.
They work harder. They plan, they strategise.

Look at Collingwood training the last few minutes of close games. That's coaching.

We get blown out of the water first quarter against Sydney or a team gets a huge run on (countless examples) and we have no answers. None. That's coaching. It's a big problem. But hopefully the trade and draft is a start and we sort out our footy department.

I raised it a few days ago as well - with this list, now is the time to be using 110% of the soft cap, get the training and rehab right - and win another flag.

It's not the time to be penny pinching....

I say it every year, and always get sucked in. But this year I mean it. I AM NOT going to listen to trade radio!!
GIF by The Voice Australia
Season 3 Abc GIF by Bachelor in Paradise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back