Prediction 2023 Ladder Prediction Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I think our KPD players will look better with Dunkley (and hopefully Robertson) in the midfield actually providing semblance of defensive midfield pressure. A big reason why our defense struggled this year was the lack of any real pressure on the ball up the ground leading to quick and easy entries for the opposition.

I think we're quite reliant on Adams being able to come back and playing a decent number of games, which given his history is thwart with danger. I like Payne as a young KPD option though, he's deceptively quick despite his size and only 22-23.
That’s true, some power at the coalface with Dunkley & two-way running in Ashcroft will help. I wonder if you’ll play him immediately in the middle, or stagger him like we did with Daicos. He’ll be a ripper

Always fun having a punt at this! History says there's 3 different teams that bolt into the top 8 and 3 that drop away from the previous year.

So here it goes:

1. Melbourne
2. Carlton
3. Geelong
4. Fremantle
5. Sydney
6. Gold Coast
7. Collingwood
8. Port Adelaide
____

9. Brisbane
10. Richmond
11. Hawthorn
12. Adelaide
13. Essendon
14. St Kilda
15. West Coast
16. Western Bulldogs
17. North Melbourne
18. GWS Giants

1) Geelong
2) Brisbane
3) Sydney
4) Carlton
5) Melbourne
6) western Bulldogs
7) Fremantle
8) Richmond
———————————
9) Collingwood
10) port Adelaide
11) St Kilda
12) Gold Coast
13) Essendon
14) GWS
15) Adelaide
16) Hawthorn
17) North Melbourne
18) West Coast

Geelong
Richmond
Melbourne
Brisbane
Sydney
Western Bulldogs
Carlton
Collingwood

Port Adelaide
Fremantle
Gold Coast
Essendon
St Kilda
Hawthorn
Adelaide
North Melbourne
West Coast

I'm expecting a bounce back from Richmond, Geelong can just cruise through the minor round as per usual. Don't really rate Brisbane but they don't really lose at home so should be contending for top 4. There really aren't many good teams. I'd say 16/18 teams could contend for finals, soft draw and a bit of luck is all it takes.

How vould I forget the soft win over Freo ?

As I said, close but no cigar.

104% teams don't win prelims.
Ultimately a % of 104 meant the pies had to go through the premiers week 1 and were playing a prelim in Sydney. Cost them a gf berth.

As a Carlton supporter It is pleasing that nearly beating a team is now something to hang your hat on.

Very difficult job.
this is based on all trade requests so far being granted.
It's also based on the fact that Clarkson and Fagan will be coaching their clubs, although that can change and might have a massive bearing on everything.
Hard to pick Essendon too without a coach.
This ladder prediction will change once trade period is over.
Nothjing personal against fans of clubs. Just my view.
Will accept no criticism for spelling and grammar.

1: Sydney: not buying into the grand final smashing trend. The only way is up. Sometimes you have to lose one to win one and although that hasn't been the recent trend, I think it still holds merit. My only query is they may have a hard call to make regarding Buddy. Yeah he kicked 50 plus goals, but his finals series rang huge alarm bells for me.
2: Geelong: depending on no retirements. Too old. Too slow. Too good.
3: Melbourne: forward line is a worry. If they make Gawn and Grundy work, they will be right up there. If they don't, it might be more of the same.
4: Brisbane: Add Dunkley to the mix and they automatically are up there again.
5: Richmond: Add Hopper and Taranto to this side and it will make a massive differnce IF THEY STAY INJURY FREE. Lynch in career best form, Dusty maybe a 40 goal forward. Need a good run with injuries. Can see them finishing lower if things don;t go their way early, but if they can turn some of those embarrassing close losses into wins, you never know.
6: Collingwood: Anyone expecting a quick fall from grace needs a reality check. Their best 22 is still very good. Great coach, add McStay who can contribute up forward. Tougher draw potentially might lose them a few spots.
7: Carlton: Yes Blues fans. It's time. I;m not overly convinced Voss is the man to win a premiership, but there is no doubting your time has come.
8: Port Adelaide: Even with Crazy Ken, this list is too good not to feature deep into September. Put 2022 down as a blip in the radar. Connor Rozee to cement his position as the comp's biggest rising star.

9: Adelaide: Yes Adelaide. Add Rankine and possibly a few others and Crom is my choice to be the surprise packet of the season. I really wanted to have them 8th, but think Port have the better chance right now.
10: Fremantle: one step back, two steps forward in 2024. it's as simple as that. Next time they play finals, IMO 2024, they won't be out of the 8 for quite a while.
11: Gold Coast: Ben King back and firing, it's time for the Suns to take another step. They'll start being tougher to beat at home now. They might finish a few rungs higher than I have them.
12: Western Bulldogs: Probably way off here and they could easily surprise and finish much higher. Darcy and JUH will be good players, but losing Dunkley will hurt. Seems silly to have them this low. but I can't fit them in any higher at the moment.
13: Hawthorn: I LOVE what Sam Mitchell is doing with this list. I toyed wih the idea of having the Hawks as my smokey for the eight, but it might take one more year for it all to unfold. Fear not Hawks fans.
14: St Kilda: Sorry Sainters fans. I just don't see it. I'm not overly convinced Ratten is the man to take you forward and you are just too damn inconsistent to tip with any confidence. They have their wins against good teams, but then drop games against lowly sides.
15: Essendon: I just don't know with the Bombers. If they appoint Hird then it all goes back to square one, but if they appoint someone like Yze, then they can knock on the door of the eight.
16: North Melbourne: i really like their young brigade. a year or so more of pain before we see rapid improvements.
17: GWS: might have to be a mini rebuild for the Giants.
18: West Coast: JJK retiring. Might be a couple of lean years for the Eagles befroe bouncing back fairly quickly

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are always at least 2 changes to the top 4.
At least one team from outside the 8 usually comes into the top 4 the year after. My bet is Carlton or Port.

At least one team from the bottom half of the 8 also makes the top 4. Tipping either Richmond or Bulldogs, or both. Brisbane might be an obvious choice for this but I just have a feeling they’ll miss top 4 next year.

why do people think we'll fall as far as 9th? we will lose a couple best 22 players, but all of our young players will improve and our next pavlich amiss will put on some muscle this preseason. we may fall back a bit but we will still make finals

1. Collingwood
  2. Melbourne
  3. Geelong
  4. Sydney
  5. Fremantle
  6. Brisbane
  7. Carlton
  8. Port Adelaide
  9. Western Bulldogs
  10. St Kilda
  11. Goldcoast
  12. Richmond
  13. Essendon
  14. Adelaide
  15. Hawthorn
  16. Westcoast
  17. GWS
  18. North Melbourne

18: West Coast: JJK retiring. Might be a couple of lean years for the Eagles befroe bouncing back fairly quickly
JK retiring is not going to impact us much. Amazing player but a forward line is only as good as what is delivered to them. We're certainly in for some teething issues as Darling becomes #1, Allen returns and Waterman continues to find a role in the side but if we persist with the half back run in the back third of the season we'll finish better than 18th. Hopefully not by much though - I'd love to be competitive while pumping games into the likes of Chesser, Culley, Hough, Allen, etc. but it would also be nice to add another high draft pick to compliment these guys.

At a guess here it is:

1. Melbourne - Jackson out and Grundy in makes them stronger...
2. Sydney
3. Carlton
4. Richmond - Loaded up for last crack...
5. Geelong - Possible #1... Depends who retires...
6. Brisbane - New Coach and game plan?
7. Fremantle
8. Collingwood
____

9. Port Adelaide
10. Gold Coast
11. Western Bulldogs
12. Hawthorn
13. Essendon - Possible #15... Depends what new Coach they get...
14. St Kilda
15. Adelaide
16. GWS Giants
17. North Melbourne - Possible #18... Depends what new Coach they get...
18. West Coast

A comprehensive prediction based on zero thought going into it. Just what popped into my head.

Ladder (and range where I think teams could finish):

1. Geelong (top 4)
2. Melbourne (1st to 6th)
3. Brisbane (2nd to 7th)
4. Sydney
5. Richmond
6. Collingwood
7. Fremantle
8. Carlton

9. Western Bulldogs
10. Port Adelaide
11. Gold Coast
12. St Kilda
13. Adelaide
14. Essendon
15. West Coast
16. Hawthorn
17. GWS
18. North Melbourne

Finals week 1
GEEL def SYD
MELB def BRIS
RICH def CARL
COLL def FREM

Week 2
COLL def BRIS
SYD def RICH

Week 3
GEEL def COLL
MELB def SYD

Week 4
GEEL def MELB

Coleman Medal: Tom Lynch
Brownlow Medal: Touk Miller

1 Melbourne - Premiers
2 Geelong - GF

Gonna be one of the best GFs of recent years, tough and tight between these two

3 Fremantle
4 Carlton

Two strong up and comers who should find maturity and consistency

5 Collingwood

Got a strong 2nd year hangover vibe with the surprise Pies in 23. Seems like there will be some player turnover too which means a clean slate. Rate Fly and Leppa highly but a minor step back before big push in coming years.

6 Gold Coast

The big headline. Contingent on Dew actually being a decent coach, which he seems capable of being. So much firepower and they will momentum for a while. Ben King will destroy teams (as would his brother if he could bloody kick straight and had decent service). Will be enjoyable to watch.

7 Port Adelaide

Slowly building, they started so poorly in 22 but have plenty of character and talent

8 Brisbane

Having to panic-buy a new coach will ultimately cost them, but they are too strong to completely sink, although I'm not too confident they'll make the 8.
========
9 Richmond

Transition year ahead before rising again.

10 Adelaide

Similar to their SA rivals, they are building a decent squad and will push for the 8.

11 Sydney

That GF will rock belief and I think they are in for a transition year too, but I can't be too confident that this club will ever really drop away.

12 Bulldogs

Something's not right here and I expect Bevo to depart at the end of the season. Strange brew, the whole club.

13 St Kilda

Well s**t. I just don't believe our current game plan is any good, our coach hadn't really convinced and our list is teetering. Won't be truly terrible but will continue to disappoint.

14 West Coast

They won't be as awful as they were but not a whole lot better. Rebuild mode will start with Simpson moving back to Vic at the end of the season.

15 Essendon

Just a pure rabble, but will trick their supporters into thinking they are going places for a couple of fleeting moments.

16 Hawthorn

Just don't see it with these guys.

17 GWS

Rebuild ground zero but without the support of more established teams, a bleak winter awaits.

18 North Melbourne

Oh gawd. Nightmare season. Good luck.

Coleman: Ben King
Brownlow: Caleb Serong
Coach of the year: Dew
Norm Smith: Clayton Oliver
North Melbourne coach: Leigh Adams (interim)
Essendon coach: Adem Yze
Brisbane coach: Ross Lyon
Sacked coaches: Ratten, Simpson, Beveridge

Last edited:
Collingwood overachieved but they should still be top 8 even with a harder draw.

Carlton will be interesting. Had a relatively easy draw yet missed out on finals by a bees dick. They have the top end talent to push for a top 4 spot but I don’t think they will get there.

Top 8 should be a lock but I genuinely have no idea what will happen, I doubt they could choke a finals appearance as hard as they did this year.
Carlton had an easy draw when it was announced. But because teams like Pies, Dockers and Tigers improved significantly from 2021 the Blues ended up with one of the hardest.

Geelong
Sydney
Collingwood
Brisbane
Melbourne
Richmond
Carlton
St Kilda
-----
Bulldogs
Fremantle
Port Adelaide
Gold Coast
Hawks
Adelaide
GWS
Essendon
West Coast
North Melbourne

A comprehensive prediction based on zero thought going into it. Just what popped into my head.

Ladder (and range where I think teams could finish):

1. Geelong (top 4)
2. Melbourne (1st to 6th)
3. Brisbane (2nd to 7th)
4. Sydney
5. Richmond
6. Collingwood
7. Fremantle
8. Carlton

9. Western Bulldogs
10. Port Adelaide
11. Gold Coast
12. St Kilda
13. Adelaide
14. Essendon
15. West Coast
16. Hawthorn
17. GWS
18. North Melbourne

Finals week 1
GEEL def SYD
MELB def BRIS
RICH def CARL
COLL def FREM

Week 2
COLL def BRIS
SYD def RICH

Week 3
GEEL def COLL
MELB def SYD

Week 4
GEEL def MELB

Coleman Medal: Tom Lynch
Brownlow Medal: Touk Miller

So…pretty damn similar to this year then? 😅

It definitely does, if Geelong played their home games at MCGinstea of GMHB stadium then those game that are line ball at home would be mch harder to win, ie Melbourne and the Dogs this season. The fixture has a huge amount o do with how when teams do in the season. If yu had one of the hardest draws where you play Geelong, Brisbane and Swans back to back to back than you might win one of those but lose he other two and come away from them with injuries and a lower confidence from losing two games but if you play say essendon, North and Hawks and win all three then you have a confidence boost that can help you beat a team like Melbourne who had just lost a couple.
Please see below link
Cats last 20 games at kardinia park
16 w 4 l

Cats last 20 games at MCG (mainly playing MCG tenants/finals)
15 w 5 l

I don’t expect a reply, enjoy the off season, god bless

Remove this Banner Ad

Back