The Association Football AFL Thread 2.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprising given how dominant Geelong were but also not surprising since everything good your guys did he seemed to have an involvement in.

Yeah that first point is what I mean.

He was incredible. Shame he didn't get a single NS vote.

Warner really only came alive in the last quarter when the game was well and truly dead to be fair. The epitome of junktime.

His stats look good but he had 2 goals and 12 disposals in the last quarter.

Only the 4 disposals when the game needed to be won in the first - certainly not that he was alone there. Worked into the game much better than any other Swan.

Warner really only came alive in the last quarter when the game was well and truly dead to be fair. The epitome of junktime.

His stats look good but he had 2 goals and 12 disposals in the last quarter.

Only the 4 disposals when the game needed to be won in the first - certainly not that he was alone there. Worked into the game much better than any other Swan.

Yeah which is why I was surprised he was rated the best in the game. Would have thought Parker who had 9 tackles to HT and put a hell of an effort in would have been rated higher.

Warner was still awesome though. Would have been easy to just stop trying.

Last edited:
Yeah which is why I was surprised he was rated the best in the game. Would have thought Parker who had 9 tackles to HT and put a hell of an effort in would have been rated higher.

Warner was still awesome though. Would have been easy to just stop trying.
Absolutely. It's the one game I'd be ok with them checking out early when you're that far behind. As you say though, showed good resilience.

The one thing about Chad Warner is no one needs to talk up his Grand Final performance to convince anyone that he is a bloody good player. He is.

Said it the other day Geelong '22 had a lot of Carlton '95 about them. Few finals flunks in the seasons leading into it. Aging side that people write off. 15 in a row going into the GF. And then deliver on the big stage a first half up there with the best.

4 flags, 6 GF’s in 14 years (1981-1995) for us. 4 flags, 6 GF’s in 15 years (2007-2022) for Geelong. Both old lists, very similar.

We did manage four finals appearances and a GF between 1996 and 2001. But then we were finished for quite a few years after that. I can see Geelong making finals for years to come.

Thought the SFS footage showed quite convincingly how bad the Swans mids were in the first quarter. Personally wouldn’t have said any of them were that great.

Warner salvages a decent performance as the best of a well beaten bunch.

Rowbottom, Parker, Mills, Heeney, Franklin all poor performers given expectation. But comfortably better than how abject Hickey was, he got obliterated on Saturday

Said it the other day Geelong '22 had a lot of Carlton '95 about them.

4 flags, 6 GF’s in 14 years (1981-1995) for us. 4 flags, 6 GF’s in 15 years (2007-2022) for Geelong. Both old lists, very similar.

We did manage four finals appearances and a GF between 1996 and 2001. But then we were finished for quite a few years after that. I can see Geelong making finals for years to come.

* me lads, your ability to make everything about Carlton is just incredible.

Really not sure how anyone expected Franklin to do much considering what the midfield put up.

This. It always baffles me when people rubbish forwards when the midfield get smashed. What do you expect them to do with limited and/or horrible supply.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really not sure how anyone expected Franklin to do much considering what the midfield put up.
i was surprised that franklin didnt push up the ground at all, but i guess by quarter time the damage really was done. but sydney had only just over 30 inside 50's so really it's that midfield that needs the most criticism.

i was surprised that franklin didnt push up the ground at all, but i guess by quarter time the damage really was done. but sydney had only just over 30 inside 50's so really it's that midfield that needs the most criticism.
Really couldn't have hurt, could it. I suppose that directive needed to come from Horse.

I think Horse deserves a fair bit of the flak as well.

Really couldn't have hurt, could it. I suppose that directive needed to come from Horse.

I think Horse deserves a fair bit of the flak as well.
Apparently took injured players into the 2014 and 2016 GF’s as well. Mills was one.

So hasn’t learned the lesson it seems

Thought the SFS footage showed quite convincingly how bad the Swans mids were in the first quarter. Personally wouldn’t have said any of them were that great.

Rowbottom, Parker, Mills, Heeney, Franklin all poor performers given expectation. But comfortably better than how abject Hickey was, he got obliterated on Saturday
What was it like to finally be at a GF? Did it live up to expectation? Exceed? Best moment? Any particular highlights?

Thought 14 tackles and 23 touches for Parker was decent.

Nah he and Reid were awful. Bring the ball to ground which they both did so well against the Pies last week.

Apparently took injured players into the 2014 and 2016 GF’s as well. Mills was one.

So hasn’t learned the lesson it seems

Don't remember any injured players in 14 but yes thought after 16 he'd learnt his lesson. Evidently not.

It barely ever got to him and when it did, it was almost never to his advantage.

He was obviously poor but a lot of that comes from the service provided.

For sure but I guess I'm saying if he can't mark it, at least impact the contest. While it wasn't to his advantage, I still think he could have done better. McLean not sighted either. But yes not sure why we went the long bomb in a panic, whenever we lowered our eyes we looked so much better and got a goal for Mills in the 2nd quarter as a result. In fact we stopped the bleeding in the second and if we'd got the first of the third things might have looked different.

For sure but I guess I'm saying if he can't mark it, at least impact the contest. While it wasn't to his advantage, I still think he could have done better. McLean not sighted either. But yes not sure why we went the long bomb in a panic, whenever we lowered our eyes we looked so much better and got a goal for Mills in the 2nd quarter as a result. In fact we stopped the bleeding in the second and if we'd got the first of the third things might have looked different.
I actually thought you might still have been able to make a game of it if you came out firing after HT. Alas, just nowhere near it unfortunately.

I'm curious as to the speech/ideas Horse and the coaching panel came out with. Whatever it was, it didn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back