MFC Fans Only AFL Grand Final 2022 - Cats v Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't get me wrong I've made me fair share of s*t decisions. Bet all my winnings from the prelim weekend on Winnipeg in the CFL and they were down 37-10 at half ****** time. QB was basically potatoes he was getting sacked so often
Yea, but you were probably on the gear when you made such a bet. My mate has no such excuses.

Respect the s*** out of Geelong as a club, but fn sick to death of them. Lowest they have fallen in 20 years is 10th! They have missed the finals twice in 2 decades. The lowest amount of games lost in a season since 1973 is 7! That's 50 years+ where they simply haven't bottomed out. Not even a one off sh** season where they had a bucketful of injuries or a season where they tanked it. Always manage to attract local talent back to their club and they make their home ground a huge advantage. Their supporters have NFI what it's like to support a struggling club.

Respect the s*** out of Geelong as a club, but fn sick to death of them. Lowest they have fallen in 20 years is 10th! They have missed the finals twice in 2 decades. The lowest amount of games lost in a season since 1973 is 7! That's 50 years+ where they simply haven't bottomed out. Not even a one off sh** season where they had a bucketful of injuries or a season where they tanked it. Always manage to attract local talent back to their club and they make their home ground a huge advantage. Their supporters have NFI what it's like to support a struggling club.
Post dynasty
2012 - 6th 15-7 EF
2013 - 2nd 18-4 PF (missed the gf by 5 points)
2014 - 3rd 17-5 SF (out in straight sets)
2015 - 10th 11-9-1 (missed the 8 but still a winning season with 11 wins had a draw, expected drop to happen)
2016 - 2nd 17-5 PF (FFS what happen to the drop off?)
2017 - 2nd 15 -6-1PF
2018 - 8th 13-9 EF (Hannan goal, finally they will fall)
2019 - 1st 16-6 PF (lost to Richmond who clearly are the dominant team, could argue the preliminary final was the true grand final, they also had a decent lead)
2020 - 4th 12-5 GF (basically the 2019 preliminary final again but this time is the actual GF)
2021 - 3rd 16-6 PF (we all know what happen)
2022 - 1st 18-4 premiers (winning 16? In a row and will probably continue their streak next year and dwarf our 17 in a row, I'm thinking 26 in a row)

Would be interested to know how often teams record their biggest loss of the year in the prelim or a GF.

Sydney lost the GF by 81 and their second biggest losing margin of the year was 24
Bulldogs last year - 74pt loss in the GF, previous highest loss 28

And of course GWS' mauling at the hands of the Tigers in 2019. Adelaide 2017, WC - 2015, Sydney 2014 etc.

Grand Finals really are a different beast to any other game and you could tell when Hawkins snapped those two first goals out of the ruck (something that would almost never be allowed to happen in a regular game) - that Sydney were in real trouble. Then when the likes of Dangerfield were just waltzing out of centre clearance and bombing it long forward Sydney were doomed.

Starting a Grand Final well, particularly as a young interstate team like Sydney were was absolutely imperative.

One of the reasons I rate West Coast's 2018 GF very highly - they overcame the first 5 goals of the match to a red hot Collingwood (who had just trounced the reigning premiers Richmond). I fully expected what happened to Sydney yesterday to happen to West Coast that day, because you see it happen so often - once a team gets jumped in a GF, a slaughter is usually on the cards.

Would be interested to know how often teams record their biggest loss of the year in the prelim or a GF.

Sydney lost the GF by 81 and their second biggest losing margin of the year was 24
Bulldogs last year - 74pt loss in the GF, previous highest loss 28

And of course GWS' mauling at the hands of the Tigers in 2019. Adelaide 2017, WC - 2015, Sydney 2014 etc.

Grand Finals really are a different beast to any other game and you could tell when Hawkins snapped those two first goals out of the ruck (something that would almost never be allowed to happen in a regular game) - that Sydney were in real trouble. Then when the likes of Dangerfield were just waltzing out of centre clearance and bombing it long forward Sydney were doomed.

Starting a Grand Final well, particularly as a young interstate team like Sydney were was absolutely imperative.

One of the reasons I rate West Coast's 2018 GF very highly - they overcame the first 5 goals of the match to a red hot Collingwood (who had just trounced the reigning premiers Richmond). I fully expected what happened to Sydney yesterday to happen to West Coast that day, because you see it happen so often - once a team gets jumped in a GF, a slaughter is usually on the cards.
Has there ever been a comeback in a GF where the margin got out to more than 5 or 6 goals? Feels like the margin for putting a team away in a GF is way smaller than regular season.

Has there ever been a comeback in a GF where the margin got out to more than 5 or 6 goals? Feels like the margin for putting a team away in a GF is way smaller than regular season.

Good question. Outside of the 2018 GF, Richmond came back from somewhere around 3 and a half goals in 2020 and St Kilda came back from around 4 goals to draw in 2010 are the two closest recent examples I can think of.

Of course there's the famous 1970 grand final where Carlton came back from 44 down at half time and the Kangas I'm sure were down around 5 goals early in 1996 but it does seem a lot rarer than I would have thought.

The Filth donged through the first 5 in 2018 and lost to the Weagles. It was glorious.

The Filth donged through the first 5 in 2018 and lost to the Weagles. It was glorious.
Think they got up to about a 29 point lead? Think that's one of the biggest in memory. Can't remember a 30+ point defect being wiped out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back