Coach Football department changes going forward

Golden_6

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
I understand Webb & Spangher are on two year contracts so they’ll certainly still be around.

My preference is to bring in another experienced forward coach (preferably someone experienced working with young talls given we have Naughton, JUH & Darcy) and move Spangher to a development coach. Then we just need to fill Maple’s old role with another experienced operator.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
That’s a much better setup having Lade in charge of midfield line with Webb stoppages & opposition - we really shouldn’t have had all of that in the hands of one bloke.

Ideally we’d move Rohan into a head of development role which he has experience in and has done a good job in the past, and Sphanger into a development role with both being replaced by experienced line coaches but maybe that’s asking a bit much…

Lade has significant playing and coaching experience in the AFL and will take charge of the Bulldogs’ midfield brigade, where he will also work closely with Marc Webb, who will focus his attention on stoppages and opposition strategy, along with other key coaching program responsibilities.

Foxman98

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Good start, our work around centre bounces is our number one weakness when the opposition gets on a roll.

Dunkley leaving and the addition of Lade give us an opportunity to re-assess and fix this issue.
First fix is easy stop putting Baz in there getting lost having no contact with his opponent

Good start, our work around centre bounces is our number one weakness when the opposition gets on a roll.

Dunkley leaving and the addition of Lade give us an opportunity to re-assess and fix this issue.
It's a problem that needs serious addressing. But stopping teams ability to get the ball out of the front of a contest isn't an issue exclusive to our side. Geelong torn Sydney a completely new arse and then proceeded to put their boot in it on the weekend by doing exactly that.

Libbaaaa

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2021
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Lade has significant playing and coaching experience in the AFL and will take charge of the Bulldogs’ midfield brigade, where he will also work closely with Marc Webb, who will focus his attention on stoppages and opposition strategy, along with other key coaching program responsibilities.
To me this sounds like Webb taking a step back to support Lade and the other coaches rather than have his own area as his responsibility. Also now 'senior' in Lade's title, just assistant. Is that something which comes out in the wash later or would we announce him as a senior assistant from the get go?

Last edited:
He’s the future of our midfield, we can’t just stick him on a wing his whole career, he just needs to work on that area of his game
If Baz develops a defensive side to his game

He will win a brownlow

Sharpiesadog

Team Captain
Sep 8, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Derby County
Sorry dogwatch, but I am with Sharpiesadog and immortalmike on the Hird issue. At the very least, I don't want him anywhere near our club. If he gets a gig at Essendon, that's on them. He may well have been the fall guy as you say, but has shown no remorse, or accepted he was where the buck stopped. He may well have his own mental health challenges now, but it's a bit like Gary Lyon - playing the mental health card AFTER you've been exposed for what may not be an actual crime, but is viewed as culturally amoral.
You have now agreed with what I say more often in 2022 than my wife!

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Stevie J?

Is he a big fish? Haven’t heard anything to suggest he’s a high quality assistant.

Being a good player doesn’t automatically qualify someone being a good coach. Can you imagine Garry Ablett Snr coming on as a fwd coach? We’d have players skipping Sunday recovery to attend church service.

Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
ASADA
I'm indifferent about Hird but for those piling on him, I can suggest a good read called 'The boys club' by Michael Warner.

Names says it all when referring to the AFL and a really good chapter on the Talia affair amongst others

But the chapter I found most interesting was on the Essendon stuff.
Long story short, the author believes Hird was harshly done by and made a scape goat.

Taking that into account, is he good enough at coaching to get a look in with us??

Edit. Just read your post Dogwatch. Cheers
The pitch folks if Hird ever stepped into the club, let alone the cafe

He shouldn't be allowed near the club, in any capacity

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

gangsta deluxe

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Rajasthan Royals!!!
Don’t we believe in giving people a second chance? He’s made a horrible error of judgement (or a whole set of them around one issue) at another organisation

If he can support success at our club and if he aligns to the values of the club I don’t mind.

I think people can be too high and mighty about these issues.

Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
ASADA
Don’t we believe in giving people a second chance? He’s made a horrible error of judgement (or a whole set of them around one issue) at another organisation

If he can support success at our club and if he aligns to the values of the club I don’t mind.

I think people can be too high and mighty about these issues.
His ego is outstanding

He applied for the Essendon coaching roll. Shows how little he cares about the bigger picture.

Bloke never took responsibility, tried to get it all thrown out in court

Bald

Premium Gold
Apr 5, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
His ego is outstanding

He applied for the Essendon coaching roll. Shows how little he cares about the bigger picture.

I was under the impression he was invited to apply.

Aug 31, 2011
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
His ego is outstanding

Dank was the criminal. Hird made the wrong call to trust his judgement. He's done his time.

Back