12) Hawthorn
13) Gold Coast
14) Port Power
15) West Coast
16) GWS
17) North Melbourne
18) Essendon

Melbourne to defeat Freo in the GF.

Swans to drop off as most sides do after they get a shellacking in the GF (though I wouldn't expect them to be quite so fragile as teams in the past, so wouldn't surprise if they do hold up.)

Only one change among the top 8 seems too few, but apart from Carlton, no other side seems to be banging down the door. Barring any shock dropoffs, most teams probably remain.

Bottom 5 to be an absolute crapshoot of teams in various stages of rebuild and/or ongoing crisis - at least there'll be a few more wins on the table when they play each other.

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Saints played Geelong, Swans, Lions and Dockers twice. Against the top 6 teams we played 10 games. That's pretty hard, yeah? In the first Cats game, Steele did his AC Joint and continued to play the whole game, missed 6 weeks. In the Lions game (Gabba) we had one rotation for 1 and a half quarters.
But every team has in-game injuries, and you can't reference in game injuries to indicate your draw was difficult.

If St. Kilda had have won more games against those teams, St. Kilda would have finished higher, and those teams lower. Would that mean your draw was easier?

It's like Carlton posters saying they had a hard draw because they played third placed Collingwood twice, whilst they finished 9th. (and they have said that) Had they have won either of the games they played against us, Collingwood would have finished 6th and Carlton 8th, and therefore it would have been an easier draw!

Was there another team who made the Top 8 ahead of St. Kilda, who didn't deserve to be there because their draw was significantly easier than St. Kilda's?

Last edited:

MickG88

Club Legend
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
But every team has in-game injuries, and you can't reference in game injuries to indicate your draw was difficult.

If St. Kilda had have won more games against those teams, St. Kilda would have finished higher, and those teams lower. Would that mean your draw was easier?

It's like Carlton posters saying they had a hard draw because they played third placed Collingwood twice, whilst they finished 9th. (and they have said that) Had they have won either of the games they played against us, Collingwood would have finished 6th and Carlton 8th, and therefore it would have been an easier draw!
So you think because I reference injuries I play down the hardness of Saints 2022 draw, read the first line again.
Sorry, you are right about the injuries, I miss interpreted what you were saying but the Saints had probably the hardest draw, not just this year but last year and the year before.

PS. Yeah, Tigers had a much easier draw than the Saints despite finishing in the 8 last year. If Richmond had our draw and we had Richmond's then the Saint would of made the finals.

Last edited:

vic_LION

Team Captain
Jun 6, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
1. Melbourne
2. Brisbane
3. Collingwood
4. Geelong
5. Sydney
6. Carlton
7. Gold Coast
8. Richmond

9. Western Bulldogs
10. Port
11. Fremantle
12. North Melbourne
13. Hawthorn
14. Adelaide
15. Essendon
16. St. Kilda
17. GWS
18. West Coast

Last edited:

Allezjuel

Team Captain
Jan 7, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
1. Melbourne: The way they played in the GF and PF in 2021 was incredible, I think they are too good a one and done team. I think they will come back hungry like Richmond in 2019 or Geelong in 2009.
2. Geelong: Expect them to drop every year but they never do.
3. Carlton: The big movers, they proved this year they can match it with the big guns - 2023 is the year to deliver on potential.
4. Richmond: Would have been top 4 this year if for not throwing away many games, still the nucleus of the 3x premiership side.
5. Frematle: Losing a few players but I still think they will be up there.
6. Sydney: Might be a bit scarred from the GF, bit of a drop.
7. Gold Coast: Similar to Carlton, they've showed the potential this year - time to make the jump.
8. Collingwood: Don't expect them to win every close game next year, other teams will do their research on them so expect to drop.

I've somewhat controversially got Brisbane missing finals, they have been thereabouts for a few years but not good enough - reminds me of Carlton after 2013 or Fremantle after 2015.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Would you rather a fixture appear difficult when it is released, but actually be easier once the season is played out? Or the other way 'round?

You'd be in the minority of football supporters in hoping your team finishes 5th than 4th, but you're welcome to your own opinion.

I'm really struggling to understand your point, however. That is, if you have a point?
well the draw was hard at the time.

I was in the minority of freo getting 5th. It was worth it in the end. freo got their 1st finals win since 2015

BloodRet

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
Laughing at all the minnows
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Norwich City, Detroit Pistons
1. Melbourne
2. Sydney
3. Brisbane
4. Geelong
5. Carlton
6. Collingwood
7. Port
8. Bulldogs

9. Gold Coast
10. St Kilda
11. Fremantle
12. Richmond
13. Essendon
14. Hawthorn
15. Adelaide
16. North Melbourne
17. GWS
18. West Coast

Mar 3, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
Amusing to see so many tipping Adelaide, after back to back seasons of growth and an improvement in percentage, to regress back to the bottom four.

Not sure we are finals bound but with us ageing another year, bringing in more quality in the trade period I cannot see us losing ground on the progress. Stagnating perhaps if things don't go to plan but I think we have every right to feel optimistic.

Major Colvin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
1. Melbourne
2. Fremantle
3. Carlton
4. Collingwood
5. Richmond
6. Geelong
7. St Kilda
8. Sydney

9. Gold Coast
10. Brisbane Lions
11. Western Bulldogs
12. Hawthorn
13. Adelaide
14. Port Adelaide
15. GWS
16. Essendon
17. West Coast
18. North Melbourne

Coach_Required

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool & Boston Celtics
1. Geelong
2. Melbourne
3. Collingwood
4. Fremantle
5. Brisbane
6. Richmond
7. Sydney
8. Carlton

9. Port Adel
10. Bulldogs
11. Gold Coast
12. Essendon
13. Adelaide
14. GWS
15. West Coast
16. St Kilda
17. Hawthorn
18. North Melbourne

*Geelong to clean up this trade period, inject massive youth while still winning all their home games down at Geelong
* Fremantle will win nearly all or all their home games for a top 4 chance
*Carlton to crack the 8 after this year's disappointment
*Doggies to slide, warning signs for Bevo who has been a great coach for them
*Essendon will have a better year but lose some close games that hurt their finals chances
*Adelaide to be pretty competitive at home but do drop a few
*West Coast will be better at home and win a few more games
*St Kilda will be the slider and Ratten will get the sack
*North Melbourne will win a few more games but not enough to get off the bottom no matter who their coach is.

Last edited:

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
Saints played Geelong, Swans, Lions and Dockers twice. Against the top 6 teams we played 10 games. That's pretty hard, yeah? In the first Cats game, Steele did his AC Joint and continued to play the whole game, missed 6 weeks. In the Lions game (Gabba) we had one rotation for 1 and a half quarters.
Yeah but we dropped too many winnable games to blame our ladder position on the draw.

Giving the Pies a head start in rd 1, failing to fire against Essendon, letting Bulldogs have their way with us, ditto Brisbane and Sydney both home and away when they weren't that much better, the Port win by one point.

No one to blame but ourselves, old chum.

BringFevBack2021

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Yep, Collingwood should have lost a couple of more games, but won the games they did win by bigger margins to ensure they had a decent percentage - something like 120%.

They would have had a much better chance in the finals if that were the case.

🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️
The further BigFooty drifts away from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.

1. Lions
2. Sydney
3. Geelong
4. Carlton
5. Collingwood
6. Dockers
7. Suns
8. Richmond
9.Melbourne
10. Bulldogs
11. Bombers
12. Adelaide
13. Port Adelaide
14. St Kilda
15. Hawthorn
16. North
17. GWS
18. West Coast

MickG88

Club Legend
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yeah but we dropped too many winnable games to blame our ladder position on the draw.

Giving the Pies a head start in rd 1, failing to fire against Essendon, letting Bulldogs have their way with us, ditto Brisbane and Sydney both home and away when they weren't that much better, the Port win by one point.

No one to blame but ourselves, old chum.
Interesting, I would of put the loss to Essendon down to playing Lions at the Gabba without 4 of our players. That game really zapped our playing group going into the Bombers game.

And you don't think having a favourable draw where we play one team in the eight and then one in the bottom 10 would help alleviate some of the fatigue that is built up when you play top 6 sides back to back to back?

JoeDanihersMoustache

Senior List
May 27, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
1. Geelong
2. Melbourne
3. Brisbane
4. Collingwood
5. Sydney
6. Carlton
7. Richmond
8. Bulldogs
————————
9. Gold Coast
10. Fremantle
11. St Kilda
12. Port Adelaide
13. Hawthorn
14. West coast
15. North Melbourne
16. Adelaide
17. GWS
18. Essendon

Last edited:

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Interesting, I would of put the loss to Essendon down to playing Lions at the Gabba without 4 of our players. That game really zapped our playing group going into the Bombers game.

And you don't think having a favourable draw where we play one team in the eight and then one in the bottom 10 would help alleviate some of the fatigue that is built up when you play top 6 sides back to back to back?
Sounds like you've got a lot of excuses as to why the Saints have been failing to make the top 8, MickG88.

My advice - just play better footy...

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
1. Geelong
2. Carlton
3. Fremantle
4. Melbourne
5. Western Bulldogs
6. Port Adelaide
7. Richmond
8. Brisbane

9. Collingwood
10. Gold Coast
11. St.Kilda
12. Sydney
13. Adelaide
14. West Coast
15. Hawthorn
16. Essendon
17. North Melbourne
18. GWS

PCORF

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
Who goes up: Carlton, GWS Giants, Port, Essendon, Brisbane Lions
Who goes down: Melbourne, Fremantle, Gold Coast, Collingwood, Richmond
Who stays: The remainder

Geelong is almost certain to finish top 4 again, their younger players will be even better in 2023.

I think Carlton can improve a lot in 2023 and could make the top 4 after missing the finals.

But you never know anyway, unexpected things can happen.

1 Geelong
2 Brisbane Lions
3 Carlton
4 Sydney
5 Melbourne
6 Collingwood
7 Port Adelaide
8 Essendon
9 Western Bulldogs
10 St Kilda
11 GWS Giants
12 Fremantle
13 Hawthorn
14 Adelaide
15 Gold Coast
16 Richmond
17 West Coast
18 North

Bartel84

Senior List
Sep 20, 2022
AFL Club
Geelong
A lot of people are forecasting a Richmond fade out but that would be ridiculous. I think top 4 next year regardless of their trade wins.

Surely it’s time at Carlton to step up to the big league.

Not sure Collingwood will finish top 4 next year.

I want the saints to do something in 2023 they are well overdue so who knows.

Melbourne will be back up there and somewhat fix their issues.

Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Liverpool
Who goes up: Carlton, GWS Giants, Port, Essendon, Brisbane Lions
Who goes down: Melbourne, Fremantle, Gold Coast, Collingwood, Richmond
Who stays: The remainder

Geelong is almost certain to finish top 4 again, their younger players will be even better in 2023.

I think Carlton can improve a lot in 2023 and could make the top 4 after missing the finals.

But you never know anyway, unexpected things can happen.

1 Geelong
2 Brisbane Lions
3 Carlton
4 Sydney
5 Melbourne
6 Collingwood
7 Port Adelaide
8 Essendon
9 Western Bulldogs
10 St Kilda
11 GWS Giants
12 Fremantle