Rumour 2022 Rumour Discussion Thread

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
Selwood and others likely to retire so I reckon they'll definitely have space.
Yes but apparently they have so much space because their players accept much less pay than normal. So, if that's true, they can't suddenly retire and then claim to have huge money available because they have retired.
It's like they say "Selwood is on $400k, which is why we can recruit Cameron", and then when Selwood retires, "Selwood retiring frees up $800k, so we can take on the Bowers contract".

Can't have it both ways.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
Yes but apparently they have so much space because their players accept much less pay than normal. So, if that's true, they can't suddenly retire and then claim to have huge money available because they have retired.
It's like they say "Selwood is on $400k, which is why we can recruit Cameron", and then when Selwood retires, "Selwood retiring frees up $800k, so we can take on the Bowers contract".

Can't have it both ways.
It's not even just getting Bowes, but supposedly bringing in Bruhn from GWS and Henry from Collingwood too on top of that.

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
It's not even just getting Bowes, but supposedly bringing in Bruhn from GWS and Henry from Collingwood too on top of that.
I know, but they will then claim that Gary Rohan retiring will free up $800k for Bruhn as well. It's a scam.
They pay outside of the salary cap and off the books. No doubt in my mind.

Can't have it both ways.

Dont be surprised to see Selwood as part of the Geelong coaching staff next year, on big dollars.

I know, but they will then claim that Gary Rohan retiring will free up $800k for Bruhn as well. It's a scam.
They pay outside of the salary cap and off the books. No doubt in my mind.
I thought they were getting Oli Henry from the Pies as well.

What a scam.

Salary cap space after 2021​

HAVES (with room): Essendon, Hawthorn, North Melbourne, Adelaide, Port Adelaide.

HAVE-NOTS: Richmond, West Coast, Collingwood, Melbourne, Fremantle, Geelong, Gold Coast, Greater Western Sydney.

SOME WRIGGLE ROOM: Carlton, Western Bulldogs, Brisbane Lions.

UNCLEAR: St Kilda, Sydney

Player payments, including ASAs, are $13,165,950 in 2021, a cut of 9 per cent due to the pandemic. Player payments for 2022 are slated to be $14,769,322 if there are no cuts. All subject to the current contracts and without factoring in recruiting at season’s end or re-negotiations.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
What do you mean 'done' as in not pursuing?
Suns and us have been negotiating for awhile now, they've probably got the framework of a deal already worked out. It may not go through straight away as there will be other trades around the fringes to be finalized, but I doubt there's tense negotiations lasting until the final day (even though the media will report otherwise to generate some clicks).

The point of front loading Rankine so hard is to be in the position to make another big acquisition (like JHF) next year.

George Kramer

Premium Platinum
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Suns and us have been negotiating for awhile now, they've probably got the framework of a deal already worked out. It may not go through straight away as there will be other trades around the fringes to be finalized, but I doubt there's tense negotiations lasting until the final day (even though the media will report otherwise to generate some clicks).

The point of front loading Rankine so hard is to be in the position to make another big acquisition (like JHF) next year.
That’s what Rendell is saying about creating space for next year.

You’d imagine if we will go hard after Cox again next year when he’s out of contract.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
How are the ass**** on Trade radio discussing the Daniher contract - how it was set up to garner Essendon a 1st round pick, but within 3 months they then added 2 extra years on low money to the contract to take it from 3 to 5 years - and as such that deal should have been looked at as total money over 5 years and never have got Essendon that 1st round pick inside the top 10. How the hell did the AFL allow that as that was blatant rorting of the free agency compo system to generate a result they would not permit us to try and do with B Crouch. Our club should have been threatening legal action over this..absolutely disgusting

Back