Toast Farewell Joel Selwood, champion of the game and legend of the Geelong Football Club

Feb 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Not once did the shrug break the tackle. In every instance the shrug brought his opponents arms up and around his neck.

If its a stupid plan but it works, it's not a stupid plan, but hey.

I dont think it defines him at all, and he was a gun player (among the very best), but dont deny it was part of his game. That's laughable.

This is what I love about BigFooty, being a genuine nuffy doesn’t stop you being a mod.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
One of the toughest Geelong mids I've ever seen but he wasn't as tough as Lenny Hayes who had his number, not many mids are that tough though.

Agenda 21

Club Legend
Mar 9, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What can you say? The bloke is a deadset champion of Geelong, the game and a Human being.

Footy will never be the same, without Joel Selwood.

Footy is what it is, because of Joel Selwood.

What a career.

May 8, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Champion player and even better bloke by all accounts, amazing career.

I see lots of similarities between Selwood and Tom Brady and wonder if Geelong would keep a list spot open if Selwood had a change of heart in months to come and decided to come back for one more season?

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
Champion player and even better bloke by all accounts, amazing career.

I see lots of similarities between Selwood and Tom Brady and wonder if Geelong would keep a list spot open if Selwood had a change of heart in months to come and decided to come back for one more season?
Footy is the kind of sport where you really need a full pre-season to front up every year.

Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Liverpool
Because Joel has fulfilled all of his ambitions, and has nothing more to prove
Bang on. He and the near-perfect way Geelong has been run have gone hand-in-hand the last 15 years. Not many get to go out on top (except for the last 3 Geelong captains!!)

uranium_death

All Australian
May 3, 2004
AFL Club
Geelong
bartel? hawkins? scarlett? Harley? Ling?

i dont now how you differentiate one being better then the others?
Selwood was the perfect on-field leader. He led by example

However, I regard Tom Harley as our most significant captain as he saw the great cultural change within Geelong that saw the mentality of the joint change from a casual semi-rural club to a professional outfit. Harls wasn't our best player, but I loved how he played and his calm demeanour coupled with his intelligence made him a really good all-round leader

Selwood has continued to maintain those high standards, very much to his credit. Don't underestimate how hard Selwood has worked to continue the high-standards at the club

I am also mindful that the captain isn't solely responsible for the above, but given their status within a club, still very important
Geelong have also had very good CEOs and Presidents for a long time. The joint has been as stable as you could hope. No coups, no board spills, and no disgruntlement

Bartel, Hawkins and Scarlett have not been formal leaders. Hawkins has taken a long time to reach this point. He has aged like a fine wine (sorry for that cliché), while Scarlett was reportedly a w***er and was directly told to change his ways

Selwood has been a positive presence throughout his entire career. His professionalism through his 16 year career cannot be faulted.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Just shrugging my shoulders.
Disgraceful posting in a farewell thread. Can a mod please delete these posts they dont belong here?

and not to mention plain wrong. go look at his awesome goal in the 2009 grand final where he shrugs his shoulders, breaks the tackle, runs 10 yards and boots the goal.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Selwood was the perfect on-field leader. He led by example

However, I regard Tom Harley as our most significant captain as he saw the great cultural change within Geelong that saw the mentality of the joint change from a casual semi-rural club to a professional outfit. Harls wasn't our best player, but I loved how he played and his calm demeanour coupled with his intelligence made him a really good all-round leader

Selwood has continued to maintain those high standards, very much to his credit. Don't underestimate how hard Selwood has worked to continue the high-standards at the club

I am also mindful that the captain isn't solely responsible for the above, but given their status within a club, still very important
Geelong have also had very good CEOs and Presidents for a long time. The joint has been as stable as you could hope. No coups, no board spills, and no disgruntlement

Bartel, Hawkins and Scarlett have not been formal leaders. Hawkins has taken a long time to reach this point. He has aged like a fine wine (sorry for that cliché), while Scarlett was reportedly a w***er and was directly told to change his ways

Selwood has been a positive presence throughout his entire career. His professionalism through his 16 year career cannot be faulted.
Selwoods been fantastic. A champion of the game. But he wasnt perfect.

uranium_death

All Australian
May 3, 2004
AFL Club
Geelong
Disgraceful posting in a farewell thread. Can a mod please delete these posts they dont belong here?

and not to mention plain wrong. go look at his awesome goal in the 2009 grand final where he shrugs his shoulders, breaks the tackle, runs 10 yards and boots the goal.
Mate, there will always be knockers. Disagree by all means, but you need the nongs to show the chasm between a good post and a poor one

How do you know Selwood was good? Because you can name even more crappo players ;)

RichLeMonde

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2019
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Celtics
Congratulations J Selwood on a simply astonishing career.

I have never seen a leader like Selwood in the whole time I've been watching footy. Some guys were as good leaders on the field, others were as good leaders off the field, but no one brought it all together like him, and in a way where it never seemed like it was forced or he was trying too hard. To be that relaxedly self-confident, but also not arrogant, and a very good and humble person, is incredibly rare.

As hard and tough as any players you'd ever see. In his peak years was a true match winner, particularly in big games. Blokes with the on-field ability of a GAJ or a Carey come along once in a generation. A think a complete package like Selwood is equally rare.

Edit: also reckon Selwood would have been a big influence on Danger. Danger's physical peak was 16-17, but I think he's kept developing as a player and gotten better at bringing his teammates into the game, leading to him being BOG in the prelim and GF

Last edited:
Back