Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below
Terms like "star" are applied pretty loosely in the AFL.

Ben Long is probably considered a "star".
Just like wrestling really, WWE insists on calling all their performers "Superstars" no matter if it's Brock Lesnar or Madcap Moss.

So doesn't matter if it's Touk Miller or Jason Castagna anymore, Everyone's referred to as a "star"

Dec 7, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Manchester United, All Blacks
Just like wrestling really, WWE insists on calling all their performers "Superstars" no matter if it's Brock Lesnar or Madcap Moss.

So doesn't matter if it's Touk Miller or Jason Castagna anymore, Everyone's referred to as a "star"
And they all seem to be great blokes too. Then they retire and the truth comes out (tbf most of the players probably are good blokes)

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Also Suns want to keep Burgess, he wants to stay, a deal on the table.

Constable, Casboult and one more I forgot (Markov or Ace?) - deals probably done within next 2 weeks.

Expect to have an early pick this year (from Rankine deal?).

Moving picks to next year to have similar picks situation like this year.

Up to Fiorini if he wants more opportunity, would need to be compensated, happy for him to stay.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
So likely we'll try to get a future first out of someone.

Maybe Bowes + 7 for Geelong's future 1st, it's definitely a cap dump but allows us to match early bids on Jed Walter while also allowing us to potentially trade our first pick for a mature aged player.

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app
It will probably end up to be future 2nd is my uneducated guess.

AFLQLD

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
There are other teams?
Just my opinion, but I think you guys are now recognising the trap that GWS found themselves in where they had a lot of talent but the whole seemed to be less than the sum of the parts. The cost of keeping that talent together gets too high and offloading it becomes a cycle of continual renewal with high-ish draft picks but not really getting many to the peak mature phase of their careers before they become too expensive or too enticing for other clubs with fat wallets.

I feel Gold Coast have recognised this and are shaping the list the right way now, even if it means losing the likes of Rankine and trading in slightly less talented mature players based on need, but ultimately getting guys like King, Ainsworth, Anderson and Rowell to the peak stage of their careers when they become the experienced core of the team with 150 or more games under their belt. I think that is what mostly wins flags - a hardened core of talent that has developed together over multiple seasons.

The Kings Ransom

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I
Just my opinion, but I think you guys are now recognising the trap that GWS found themselves in where they had a lot of talent but the whole seemed to be less than the sum of the parts. The cost of keeping that talent together gets too high and offloading it becomes a cycle of continual renewal with high-ish draft picks but not really getting many to the peak mature phase of their careers before they become too expensive or too enticing for other clubs with fat wallets.

I feel Gold Coast have recognised this and are shaping the list the right way now, even if it means losing the likes of Rankine and trading in slightly less talented mature players based on need, but ultimately getting guys like King, Ainsworth, Anderson and Rowell to the peak stage of their careers when they become the experienced core of the team with 150 or more games under their belt. I think that is what mostly wins flags - a hardened core of talent that has developed together over multiple seasons.
don’t think it’s just been recognised this year. But it’s certainly become more obvious to everyone.

Jun 7, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Subiaco Lions
Tom Berry will cost bugger all and is a super likeable human and clubman. If he finds form he's also incredibly fast too with a hard edge. I like our target profile this offseason. It's all about hard edged campaigners.

Whether the trades that get executed mirror my current satisfaction remains to be seen but I like these astute finds by Cameron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back