Damien Hardwick says "I don’t have to remind anyone in this room what our track record is against the Cats on the biggest stage”

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
those Games you have brought up highlight the exact opposite of two teams close In comparison, they were not arm wrestles of a match that went down to the wire, once you got your game plan going you absolutely blew us away every time. I would agree with you if the matches went down to the wire but we didn’t really get close in the end.

The only occasions geelong was even able to make the GF was 2020, other years we couldn’t even make it let alone knock off richmond.

I sort of get it from Richmond point of view having geelong your rivalry as there was no dominant opposition side during those years with the rest of the top four quite weak and fluctuating besides geelong, but we were far from a powerhouse side.

Unfortunately the geelong hawthorn rivalry just takes the cake for us and I only notice a Richmond hatred of geelong when I keep seeing them pop up in every post about geelong when it is non Richmond related.

If anything I would have thought you would love geelong given how easily you had us covered
It's ok mate, you don't have to try so hard to convince me that Geelong don't see Richmond as rivals. I don't really care. This totally unedifying thread isn't doing too much to substantiate your point, though.

Geelong supporters can only dream of the success Richmond has had. They wish they were us. They are Richmond light.

Plus we have more members, a better mascot (meow), a better song, more unique colours......better location next to the home of footy, better home ground, a core playing group and coach who aren't universally seen as flogs
....but more importantly:-

Premierships:-
Richmond 13 in 114 years
Geelong 10 in 126 years

Premierships since 1966
Richmond 8
Geelong 4

Flags in the 18 team era
Richmond 3
Geelong 1

Back to back flags
Richmond 3
Geelong 1

Dynasties
Richmond 2 (1967, 69, 72, 73) (2017-2020)
Geelong 0

Pretty sad that some of their weaker characters rate that they've been 'up their' ahead of flags as the ultimate success. You can see why they have to though.
Selective stats are cute, but the real reason for many Richmond fans angst is that they feel like they aren't respected like the true dominant forces of recent times such as Brisbane, Hawthorn and Geelong which definitely adds to the comedy of your post.

Here are some of my favourite selective stats for your perusal

AFL era flags:
Geelong 4
Richmond 3

AFL era finals series appearances:
Geelong 24
Richmond 10

AFL era finals wins
Geelong 32
Richmond 12

Wins
Geelong 1387
Richmond 1201

Record GF winning margin:
Geelong 119
Richmond 89

Geelong supporters - what would have your 2022 team done to your 2019/20 teams?

10 goal victory? 12 goals?

Further evidence of Richmond taking advantage of the weakest period in the history of the AFL.
The way I see it is Adelaide Crows were just pathetic. Even if the right thing was done like in any other worldwide sport not named AFL or NRL then I am sure we beat Richmond at GMHBA Stadium in a qualifying final. However that same Richmond would’ve went to Adelaide for a prelim and kicked them out, then still beat us the next week anyway.

Losing to Richmond in 2020 never even hurt me because only a sore loser would have a sook losing to a great team that won 3 of 4 premierships. If I was an Adelaide fan and we are talking 2017 then I would’ve been spewing.

Further evidence of Richmond taking advantage of the weakest period in the history of the AFL.
pretty much on the money, our 2022 team is at least a 10 goal better side than our 2020 team. A champion team rather than a team of champions

The way I see it is Adelaide Crows were just pathetic. Even if the right thing was done like in any other worldwide sport not named AFL or NRL then I am sure we beat Richmond at GMHBA Stadium in a qualifying final. However that same Richmond would’ve went to Adelaide for a prelim and kicked them out, then still beat us the next week anyway.

Losing to Richmond in 2020 never even hurt me because only a sore loser would have a sook losing to a great team that won 3 of 4 premierships. If I was an Adelaide fan and we are talking 2017 then I would’ve been spewing.
also with 2020 being a lightning carnival I don't think anyone took it all that seriously anyway, like Fitzroys win from last in 1916 it'll just end up a trivia question rather than a lauded achievement

Not trying to split hairs here but I think this whole thread has been a waste of everyone’s time.

Here’s the verbatim quote at the heart of this discussion -

Damien Hardwick says "I don’t have to remind anyone in this room what our track record is against the Cats on the biggest stage”​

I know the answer. 😀

The “biggest stage” as the football world understands it is the GF at the MCG in late September/early October. Agreed? Good.

So there have only ever been two such events that meet this criteria; the 1931 and 1967 GFs. Geelong won in 1931 and Richmond won in 1967.

These teams are tied at 1-1 on the biggest stage. 😎

Makes sense, Fadge. Because 32 year old Danger is so much better than 29 year old Danger; ditto Selwood, Hawkins etc. And because Ablett and Tim Kelly, compared to de Konig and Holmes, were such rubbish players as to make Geelong a 12 goal worse side.

Geelong's 2022 win actually retrospectively shows how good Richmond 2020 were.

also with 2020 being a lightning carnival I don't think anyone took it all that seriously anyway, like Fitzroys win from last in 1916 it'll just end up a trivia question rather than a lauded achievement
Is there anything more lame than trying to say a GF that an oppo beat your team in didn't really count? Come on mate. Be better.

Is there anything more lame than trying to say a GF that an oppo beat your team in didn't really count? Come on mate. Be better.
Still can’t believe two years later he still believes this s**t. You’d think winning a premiership less than a week ago, the dude would be a bit more humble?

Compare my attitude on GF night to his two years later. Dunno my password and email to that account

Still can’t believe two years later he still believes this s**t. You’d think winning a premiership less than a week ago, the dude would be a bit more humble?

Compare my attitude on GF night to his two years later. Dunno my password and email to that account
Yeah it's a bit weird. But good on you, Sky. I've been the same this year. Have been posting tributes to Selwood, Danger and the whole Geelong team. They played an incredible brand of footy and were miles above the rest of the comp. This flag was a testament to the entire club, from all of the coaching and development staff who fast-tracked the improvement of the young guns, to the medicos who figured out the absolute best way to manage older players (which Richmond sure as hell could learn from), and of course the players.

Perhaps it's worth pointing out that:

2020 Grand Final - Geelong go into the game without Tom Stewart
2019 Preliminary Final - Geelong go into the game without Tom Hawkins

... and Cameron, SDK, Stengle were yet to join the club, and Danger was crippled by injury.

Relying on past results as some sort of mythical guarantee of future performance may generate hope, but that is all.

Richmond fans prior to 2017 may well recall the truth of that.

Perhaps it's worth pointing out that:

2020 Grand Final - Geelong go into the game without Tom Stewart
2019 Preliminary Final - Geelong go into the game without Tom Hawkins

... and Cameron, SDK, Stengle were yet to join the club, and Danger was crippled by injury.

Relying on past results as some sort of mythical guarantee of future performance may generate hope, but that is all.

Richmond fans prior to 2017 may well recall the truth of that.

This post is both balanced and accurate.

The trouble is the balanced parts are not accurate and the accurate parts are not balanced.

Tom Stewart played in the 2020 GF.

Hawkins missed the 2019 PF but Rance, a superior player, missed the whole finals series for Richmond.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Selective stats are cute, but the real reason for many Richmond fans angst is that they feel like they aren't respected like the true dominant forces of recent times such as Brisbane, Hawthorn and Geelong which definitely adds to the comedy of your post.

Here are some of my favourite selective stats for your perusal

AFL era flags:
Geelong 4
Richmond 3

AFL era finals series appearances:
Geelong 24
Richmond 10

AFL era finals wins
Geelong 32
Richmond 12

Wins
Geelong 1387
Richmond 1201

Record GF winning margin:
Geelong 119
Richmond 89

According to you were not respected news to me a team won 3 flags in 5 years and back to back how many clubs done back to back ??. Don't get carried away you had Hocking on the rules committee chopping and changing rules and you we're informed weeks before any other club and somehow he ends up your footy boss later , and then the coaches brother takes his role at the afl talk about conflict of interest let's not go there. Far to good this year through best team by a mile.

My view is that there was nothing wrong with Dimma's finals hypotheticals at all. I don't see that as disrespectful at all.

The bit I found jarring was the blaming of umpires / lack of free-kicks etc. I think that sends a really bad message to his players. It's defeatist.

But I couldn't give a crap. If he wants to weaken the resolve of his players, more power to him. Go Dimma.

According to you were not respected news to me a team won 3 flags in 5 years and back to back how many clubs done back to back ??. Don't get carried away you had Hocking on the rules committee chopping and changing rules and you we're informed weeks before any other club and somehow he ends up your footy boss later , and then the coaches brother takes his role at the afl talk about conflict of interest let's not go there. Far to good this year through best team by a mile.

An elaborate consiracy just to stop the seventh best team from winning the premiership. If that's true then we are the best managed club in the history of football. Now that it's job done, Brad Scott is off to the Bombers and the unstoppable force that is Richmond FC are going on to win the next three flags. Richmond's achievements are respected...this conspiracy crap you guys have been dishing up for the past few years isn't. You'd think you'd be happy after winning three flags but no, apparently not.

can say whatever he wants at the club he coaches BnF night,whos hurt ? who's the victim ?
whats he supposed to say ? we've gotta get to the level of the other 15 clubs ? :'(:'(
mmkay....i think the bloke knows how to go about it,statistics DO prove it.....
remember end of 2016 season rd.23 & the 116 point belting from eventual RU's Sydney ?
the outrage of 'i believe we have the group to win a flag soon ' from On The Couch :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: ...disgraceful

An elaborate consiracy just to stop the seventh best team from winning the premiership. If that's true then we are the best managed club in the history of football. Now that it's job done, Brad Scott is off to the Bombers and the unstoppable force that is Richmond FC are going on to win the next three flags. Richmond's achievements are respected...this conspiracy crap you guys have been dishing up for the past few years isn't. You'd think you'd be happy after winning three flags but no, apparently not.
Gale will take over as CEO and we'll counter that with Bartel as the operations manager. It'll be a boardroom battle for the ages

on a serious note Pre - 2018 Dimma wouldnt of spoken out aloud like that,id say wiyhout a doubt success has definitely played its part in those cheeky
comments ,it is what it is imo,no harm done,i gotta laugh out of it,onwards and upwards.
AFL 360 will get him on Rd 6 next year when we're 5 n 1 and Robbo & his wife will giggle like 13yo starstruck school girls when its bought up

I stopped reading at “done back to back”, “you we’re informed”, and the lack of punctuation.

But good on you for trying 👍

...Huh? I genuinely can not follow any of this. Try punctuation, grammar and an organized sentence structure...this whole thing is a mess.

...Huh? I genuinely can not follow any of this. Try punctuation, grammar and an organized sentence structure...this whole thing is a mess.
what he is trying to say is he believes Geelong can't win on their own merit, and the AFL has conspired to cheat on behalf of Geelong, the focus of this cheating has been to remove any rule that restricts what Geelong is good at and add rules to dull any advantage Richmond has. It's a conspiracy theory.

It's worked wonders, look at this thread full of enraged Geelong nuffies over a throw away comment.

Rage would be your GF thread (which is very entertaining by the way).

I think there’s a few of us just pointing out that talking about why you would have won when you finished 7th and failed at the first hurdle is … pretty pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back