Traded Jack Gunston [Traded to Brisbane for #48 and F4]

Sirlemsip

Club Legend
May 5, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We had Stokes, Kelly, Chapman, SJ, Hunt, Podsiadly, Byrnes, Varcoe all finish at second clubs. And tbh it's quite ok - it's just a post-script on a decorated career, they'll all be regarded as Geelong champions.

There are heaps of club champions who played out a final year or three at a different club. It doesn't really affect how they were seen in the end.

Exactly.

Nobody ever thinks of Sam Mitchell as an eagle, or Hodge as a Lion.

Even Isaac Smith - unless something crazy happens and Geelong get up again in 2023 he will be looked back on as a Hawk in 10 years time.

It really needs to be an even split in career for a player to be remembered as a two club player:
e.g. Buddy, Judd, Ablett jr

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Exactly.

Even Isaac Smith - unless something crazy happens and Geelong get up again in 2023 he will be looked back on as a Hawk in 10 years time.

It really needs to be an even split in career for a player to be remembered as a two club player:
it’s no about how they are remembered, it would just be nice to have some retire one club players and get a send off at that club.

The fact we have lost all of them for nothing just adds to the bitterness. Doesn’t change the legacy they leave behind or anything. Just sucks we have managed to retain so few

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
it’s no about how they are remembered, it would just be nice to have some retire one club players and get a send off at that club.

The fact we have lost all of them for nothing just adds to the bitterness. Doesn’t change the legacy they leave behind or anything. Just sucks we have managed to retain so few
I wish we were a mature enough sport to actually be able to handle announcements of departures before season’s end, so Gunston could have a last game at Hawthorn.

One of my favourite days at the footy was the last game of the year in 2015 - SJ, Stokes and Kelly's last games for Geelong. Also some "Dangerfield" bloke's last game for Adelaide...

Last edited:

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Exactly.

Not sure about Hodge. He will always be remembered as a Hawk but the Lions seem like his club now. Coaches, always around the boys, Son likely to join the academy, has to hold himself back from saying ‘we’ when commentating.

No doubt Hawks will be his forever club, but in a functional sense, his involvement with us does feel like it’s diluted the hawks connection a bit.

daird

All Australian
Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Not sure about Hodge. He will always be remembered as a Hawk but the Lions seem like his club now. Coaches, always around the boys, Son likely to join the academy, has to hold himself back from saying ‘we’ when commentating.

No doubt Hawks will be his forever club, but in a functional sense, his involvement with us does feel like it’s diluted the hawks connection a bit.
Pretty sure I heard him clap in excitement at one of Brisbane's goals in the elimination final, he's a Lion through and through now.

Ginnieboy

Club Legend
Aug 5, 2022
AFL Club
Collingwood
Future 3rd probably which would be a win/win in this situation.

But I'd love us to be more creative and try to bundle points + Gunston for one of their 1st's. This one seems unlikely....
They’re going to need plenty of points.

HolyRioli

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Leeds Utd
I wish we were a mature enough sport to actually be able to handle announcements of departures before season’s end, so Gunston could have a last game at Hawthorn.

One of my favourite days at the footy was the last game of the year in 2015 - SJ, Stokes and Kelly's last games for Geelong. Also some "Dangerfield" bloke's last game for Adelaide...

Nah the Crows played finals that year

Feb 2, 2022
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Only thing he owes us is to have a word to lions list Mgt to do us a decent trade given they want to keep all of the mcstay compo and to kick poorly against us going forward. Good luck Jack always a hawks hero arguably our best finals player through the 2012-2015 period.

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Future 3rd probably which would be a win/win in this situation.

But I'd love us to be more creative and try to bundle points + Gunston for one of their 1st's. This one seems unlikely....

Future third is where it’s at.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

catman2006

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sunderland & Penrith
If I was Hawthorn I would be asking for either pick 36 or future 3rd and Deven Robertson

catman2006

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sunderland & Penrith
If I was Brisbane I'd tell them to GAGF
I would keep him if I were the Hawks, guaranteed 2 goal forward are hard to get even with a rebuilding team, he is the same average as Daniher and better than Hipwood, pick 36 is cheap and you get 3 years out of him

Apr 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Six decades of domination
I would keep him if I were the Hawks, guaranteed 2 goal forward are hard to get even with a rebuilding team, he is the same average as Daniher and better than Hipwood, pick 36 is cheap and you get 3 years out of him

Jesus christ why the * didn't we think to do that. I'm going to pass this on to the list managers ASAP.

Ari

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 5, 2003
Pascoe Vale
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Ferrari
Only thing he owes us is to have a word to lions list Mgt to do us a decent trade given they want to keep all of the mcstay compo and to kick poorly against us going forward. Good luck Jack always a hawks hero arguably our best finals player through the 2012-2015 period.

Yep. Love Gunston, would have him in a heart beat.

Sep 15, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Its possible for him to love both clubs. There doesn't need to be a winner, plenty of Hodge to go around and by the way he is going, there will be even more in 5 years

Sep 15, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If I was Hawthorn I would be asking for either pick 36 or future 3rd and Deven Robertson

Not sure you understand how FA works.

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Its possible for him to love both clubs. There doesn't need to be a winner, plenty of Hodge to go around and by the way he is going, there will be even more in 5 years

Of coarse there is. I said that. I was responding to someone saying ‘no one thinks of Hodge as a Lion’ - I just pointed out that with his ongoing, public connection to us, that wasn’t as true in his case.

Back