QAFL 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a pop, I just feel womens competition should have their own medal count the same as Grogan.

Just seems wrong that Grogan Medal Night now impacted to fit same Medal for QAFLW.

Think they could run all the Womens League vote counts together on same night.
Interesting thought SM - having had a foot in both "camps" over the past decade feel that by doing this it just reinforces the thinking at club land that women's footy is "nice" but just a little add on to the "real stuff" which is men's footy. Whether this is real or not I have no idea but i do think that some clubs still pay lip service to it all and this is to the detriment of their footy club imo. There is not a club administrator around now who hasn't recognised the positive impact women's footy has had on their club irrespective of whether people are entertained watching it.

My only reservation to this would be to say that the women's comp finished a long time before the mens did and it is a long time gone before these presentation nights occur so having a separate one probably isn't the worst idea simply for time line reasons. In fact at my football club the womens season concluded on July 30 for the players and the presentation night isn't until mid October. Half the players have moved on now from football season.

Think "dominated" is a stretch Dez - but makes it hard for club people to attend both if they are separated.
Why if they are different nights there is no reason people can’t attend both.

Just makes competition look a bit Mickey Mouse when we don’t do full vote count. Think both should be afforded same opportunity but can’t be done in one night.

Try and find any results from Grogan for any club or round by round. It’s pretty amateur not at least doing this right.

They way they did the
Womens Grand finals (div1 and 2) all at the same venue on same day was terrific!
A real celebration of womens footy and a far better product playing during the day than at 4.45 pm on a slippery Saturday night!So much better to watch!
I’d celebrate the Grogan and Ziekle medals on separate nights due to the season finishing times SMY has pointed out.TBH I didn’t mind the way they did them during covid online.

Just makes competition look a bit Mickey Mouse when we don’t do full vote count. Think both should be afforded same opportunity but can’t be done in one night.

Try and find any results from Grogan for any club or round by round. It’s pretty amateur not at least doing this right.
full count was done SM. Club people are pretty busy SM - for those travelling from GC and SC to go these nights it is actually a pretty big ask. Unfortunately many based in Bris still don't appreciate the tyranny of distance that is often afforded the SC clubs in particular and the southern end of the GC. I've said this before but the distance from Noosa to Yeronga is nearly exactly the same as that from Yeronga to Byron bay. Asking club people to do it 2x over when teams play at the same level is a bit much imo. It is also ignoring the fact that many involved in the womens'/mens programs do take an interest in the other one. Thats how I see it anyway. If it was to be a women's football night and a mens football night then I wouldn't have an issue with that either but simply because the seasons are so out of wack with the QAFLW

Last edited:

that's a different issue altogether - agree not that hard to put together and send out to clubs I would have thought. A live stream the same.

there was no round by round count and the round by round votes and results aren't published anywhere?

amateur hour indeed.

I imagine clubs are putting on better nights than the Grogan if thats the case.

there was no round by round count and the round by round votes and results aren't published anywhere?

amateur hour indeed.

I imagine clubs are putting on better nights than the Grogan if thats the case.
Yeah there was - I was present and I watched it.... No idea why ppl think there wasn't.

full count was done SM. Club people are pretty busy SM - for those travelling from GC and SC to go these nights it is actually a pretty big ask. Unfortunately many based in Bris still don't appreciate the tyranny of distance that is often afforded the SC clubs in particular and the southern end of the GC. I've said this before but the distance from Noosa to Yeronga is nearly exactly the same as that from Yeronga to Byron bay. Asking club people to do it 2x over when teams play at the same level is a bit much imo. It is also ignoring the fact that many involved in the womens'/mens programs do take an interest in the other one. Thats how I see it anyway. If it was to be a women's football night and a mens football night then I wouldn't have an issue with that either but simply because the seasons are so out of wack with the QAFLW
Not sure the facts support your point about clubs having both mens & womens teams at a club attending in one night.

Only 3 clubs (Maroochydore, Aspley, Wilston Grange) have both QAFL & QAFLW teams. Noosa, Sherwood, Morningside, Mt Gravatt, Redlands, Broadbeach, Surfers, Labrador all have QFAW so they all have to attend twice anyway.

Not sure the facts support your point about clubs having both mens & womens teams at a club attending in one night.

Only 3 clubs (Maroochydore, Aspley, Wilston Grange) have both QAFL & QAFLW teams. Noosa, Sherwood, Morningside, Mt Gravatt, Redlands, Broadbeach, Surfers, Labrador all have QFAW so they all have to attend twice anyway.
Yep - that's true.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So exactly how many clubs in Brisbane did that stain on QLD Footy Mark Perkins declare bankrupt while sipping bubbles in the AFLQ tent on Saturday while his VFL team won the QAFL flag?

nothing like a guy getting paid full-time to work at a gaming venue (sorry, footy club) who wants to make life difficult for volunteers at other clubs by spreading bullshit rumours.

should get a please explain from AFLQ with the crap he spins
Are there poaching laws in Youth Football? If a Football operations guy was getting contact details including addresses of 16yr old footballers directly from Academy programs and calling them directly to play at their club, is there any issue?

Last edited:
Yes, that is unacceptable behaviour that is definitely not permitted.

The details shouldn't be sought, nor should they be provided.

Ringing them is also a massive rule breach.

(not saying this has happened, just answering the question)
Thanks for that. I wasn't sure if this was permitted, if it were to happen....

Yes, that is unacceptable behaviour that is definitely not permitted.

The details shouldn't be sought, nor should they be provided.

Ringing them is also a massive rule breach.

(not saying this has happened, just answering the question)
And pretty poor by anyone at the Academies to pass these sort of details on as well.

If attempting to, or even actually successfully, encouraging young talent to come to your club makes you a stain then there sure have been plenty of stains on the scene over the years.
Depends on the methodology used I think LB. have no idea how Aspley go about it even at AFL level among the cut and thrust of trade week there are clubs / people that are highly respected with their dealings vs those that aren't. I'm sure it is the same at community level.

No I'm pretty sure there wasn't. Good question - maybe HQ didn't think there would be the interest that obviously BF people do... :) I do think a list to clubs of vote getters from individual clubs is a no brainer.
Obviously not high on our new boss at Headquarters agenda. The
Div 1,2,3 etc League Counts are next weekend , talk about lack of interest so long after GF’s.

Definitely an area that needs massive improvement. All the competition medal nights.

Broady aren’t mucking around. I see they have signed Jacob Townsend

Depends on the methodology used I think LB. have no idea how Aspley go about it even at AFL level among the cut and thrust of trade week there are clubs / people that are highly respected with their dealings vs those that aren't. I'm sure it is the same at community level.
IF... there has been an attempt in recent years at poaching' juniors for Aspley, they have failed miserably. Came 2ND LAST in colts this year.. Were 'there or thereabouts' in the QFA colts the past few years. Still substandard of QAFL colts though.

Broady aren’t mucking around. I see they have signed Jacob Townsend
I keep telling people, if they wait till the top QAFL sides come back to the pack, though time, attrition, (and hope).. while just developing ones own juniors and relying on walk ins......, THEY WILL BE WAITING A LONG TIME!!

Expect PBC, Broady, Labrador, Aspely and Redlands to look at EACH OTHER as motivation to recruit and improve. They wont look at the bottom of the ladder as the standard...

Bottom of the ladder teams need to get serious about building depth, and attracting quality recruits. Or that's where they will stay.

EDIT...

I will add; A big name, 'million dollar' coach isnt going to get it done if the competition is way to strong for his group. That 'million dollars' is better spent on creating depth and securing recruits, and a smart, competent coach that presents good value.

Clubs just have to get smarter about how they spend their money.

Last edited:
I keep telling people, if they wait till the top QAFL sides come back to the pack, though time, attrition, (and hope).. while just developing ones own juniors and relying on walk ins......, THEY WILL BE WAITING A LONG TIME!!

Expect PBC, Broady, Labrador, Aspely and Redlands to look at EACH OTHER as motivation to recruit and improve. They wont look at the bottom of the ladder as the standard...

Bottom of the ladder teams need to get serious about building depth, and attracting quality recruits. Or that's where they will stay.
Noosa announced a couple of good gets from ovens and Murray yesterday too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back