Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2022 - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should really be a time moratorium on people going from such key roles in head office to active roles in clubland. Highly dubious about how Brad Scott will put all that prized knowledge and contacts to his and Essendon's advantage. Probably just a coincidence Hocking's travails from AFL role to Geelong and they go over the ceiling and still seem to have recruiting coups flowing through the door.

They picked up Chesser in the draft last year. He looks like he will be good for them and be a similar type of player.

He has a good under 18s profile sure but has played literally a quarter of a pre-season game, bit early to say whether he will be good or bad. The fact that they're going for Hunt shows that they want a mature line breaking half back and they have no faith in their recruits in that area. I also think if they get Hunt that "the next Shannon Hurn" Alex Witherden may be on the way out

TBF to Scott...

From what I remember, he saw the writing on the wall a few seasons prior and wanted to rebuild through the draft, was overruled by the club who thought the list was in an ok spot, and then topped up.
One of Norths biggest blunders was taking Will Walker at pick 23 in 2017 when the best batch of 10 or so players ever followed from 24-34.
Tim Kelly, Sam Taylor, Noah Balta, Tom Mccartin, Liam Ryan, Tom DeKoning, Bailey Fritsch, Tom Mccartin all followed in the next 10 picks. Incredible that one of those guys is not a north player now.
Walker played 4 games and was delisted.

One of Norths biggest blunders was taking Will Walker at pick 23 in 2017 when the best batch of 10 or so players ever followed from 24-34.
Tim Kelly, Sam Taylor, Noah Balta, Tom Mccartin, Liam Ryan, Tom DeKoning, Bailey Fritsch, Tom Mccartin all followed in the next 10 picks. Incredible that one of those guys is not a north player now.
Yeah either Tom McCartin would have been very handy.

From the AFL site:

“Scott officially entered the Bombers' coaching process on Thursday”

closely followed not long after by this quote from Barham:

"The coaching process was diligent in its approach and detailed in its execution. It begun with a shortlist of over 22 candidates and included a demanding interview process, game style presentations and external personality profiling to ensure we had the full picture of the successful candidate.”

Gotta love a thorough process.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

From the AFL site:

“Scott officially entered the Bombers' coaching process on Thursday”

closely followed not long after by this quote from Barham:

"The coaching process was diligent in its approach and detailed in its execution. It begun with a shortlist of over 22 candidates and included a demanding interview process, game style presentations and external personality profiling to ensure we had the full picture of the successful candidate.”

Gotta love a thorough process.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Sounds like a Glory worldwide search for a coach then just appointing a former player to the position.

Ouch. List Managers > Coaches in modern footy

Yeah I’m saying change the system. Not all at once, but scale it back somehow.
So, you’ve missed my point.

Jackson is purely on a ‘market’ rate of $800k because we’re stupid enough to reach and pay that.

If there were some parameters in place, clubs could manage their salaries much better.

My figures were also made up and random.

If a 4th year Jackson could earn say the top figure and that’s a hypothetical $600k then so be it.

The fact a club can just launch and outrageous bid of say $1.2M a year isn’t healthy moving forwards and is already proving to create issues of salary dump plays etc.

All I’m saying is put some parameters in place.

You don’t need to take my actual figures as gospel and argue them back at me. I find that hilarious.

Basically, should there be some sort of set figures, tiers, bonuses in place?

Or are we all happy that some kid can be offered $1m like Tim Boyd based on nothing other than ‘gee… he looks a likely type’
I like that you are thinking outside the box.

And I understand the appeal of bringing more structure to the salary process.

Sadly the minimum 95% spend rule (which is one of the few regulations in place now) is already driving perverse outcomes, I fear that any service time based salary structure would just encourage player managers to manipulate when their clients nominate for the draft (or hold out for an extra year). It also incentivises the club in not selecting players just to save a few bucks.

Lastly, no matter how great the regulatory scheme is, one can never regulate against stupidity. Some club will always be dumb enough to do stupid trades, enter stupid contracts, or make stupid recruitment decisions. Can't regulate stupidity, better to aim for excellence in an open and competitive market.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh Sheedy

full

Lol, what a momentous contribution he's made, forever tarnishing the reputation of the club and its management!
C'mon it is a bit more complicated than that. Hird was a giant of a player, literally Pav like. You've got to view his legacy in that context, what he did as a coach won't diminish his status as one of their favourite sons in many eyes

C'mon it is a bit more complicated than that. Hird was a giant of a player, literally Pav like. You've got to view his legacy in that context, what he did as a coach won't diminish his status as one of their favourite sons in many eyes

he nearly put the club out of business and had them banned for an entire year lol. short of burning the place down i'm not sure what more he could have done!

What you've said is probably true but the idea Sheedy actually wanted Hird to be coach still after what that club and most importantly, it's supporters, had to sit through because of him is actually insane. Just feels like he's being a stubborn and arrogant twat

he nearly put the club out of business and had them banned for an entire year lol. short of burning the place down i'm not sure what more he could have done!
That's totally missing my point. If he'd played for another club and then coached Essendon and did what he did, not a single Essendon person would piss on him if he was on fire. But he was one of their greatest ever players
If Pav coached Fremantle and did something similar, would you feel 100% negative towards him?

What you've said is probably true but the idea Sheedy actually wanted Hird to be coach still after what that club and most importantly, it's supporters, had to sit through because of him is actually insane. Just feels like he's being a stubborn and arrogant twat

i'm not sure if Sheedy is trolling or he is being serious but he is certainly approaching Mick Malthouse level "old man yelling at clouds" with some of his actions and statements

It's just unfortunate that his final decade of the three, greatly diminishes the value of the first two. As a player, yes, he was a giant, but as a human being and coach - well I don't need to say.

Yes but I wasn't responding to a post that said he shouldn't coach again. I responded to one that said Hird's only contribution to Essendon was to forever tarnish the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back