Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2022 - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's totally missing my point. If he'd played for another club and then coached Essendon and did what he did, not a single Essendon person would piss on him if he was on fire. But he was one of their greatest ever players
If Pav coached Fremantle and did something similar, would you feel 100% negative towards him?
Could I forgive him, and still celebrate his contribution as a player? Sure.

Would I want him back at the club in any official capacity overseeing the club or player? * no

Purple_Turtle

Stockholm Syndrome
Oct 12, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hull City
Jesus Christ, who does Sheedy think he is? I feel sorry for all Essendon supporters

In fairness it's fairly ordinary of the Essendon FC to misrepresent how the board vote went, so Sheedy is entitled to feel a bit pissed off about it. Not sure going to the media like this is the best way of going about it though.

WaywardSonSon

Cancelled
Coney Island Warriors - Sweet F.A.
Jun 27, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Cool Runnings
In fairness it's fairly ordinary of the Essendon FC to misrepresent how the board vote went, so Sheedy is entitled to feel a bit pissed off about it. Not sure going to the media like this is the best way of going about it though.
The biggest point to come out of this entire event, is what you've alluded to. The "far-reaching" and "thorough" vetting processes clubs enact, in order to select their new head coaches are nothing more than lip service and farces.

True, but Brendon Sanderson said on Trade Radio that at a club, no matter whether it is a decision at board level or at selection, you present a unified front to the public no matter how you feel behind closed doors.

Is it? More than ever that club needed to at least try to present a unified front, so Sheedy just took that idea and shat all over it. I suppose they could have communicated that with Sheedy but his solution is just insane. The guy is actively hurting the club to satisfy his own ego

Nodgey

Premiership Player
Aug 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SDFC, Liverpool, Scorchers
Hird as head coach has/had to take the ultimate blame for the supplements saga, but I tend to think he was less of a machiavellian cheat and more of a naive fool during that entire period. I think his love of his club and ergo its employees clouded his vision and lulled him into a false sense of security that everything was above board.

Hird as head coach has/had to take the ultimate blame for the supplements saga, but I tend to think he was less of a machiavellian cheat and more of a naive fool during that entire period. I think his love of his club and ergo its employees clouded his vision and lulled him into a false sense of security that everything was above board.
That may be true, but would you want someone with those shortcomings back in the role?
And that's before you add on the media scrutiny of every decision and loss.

Nodgey

Premiership Player
Aug 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SDFC, Liverpool, Scorchers
Hell no. The additional punishment for him from that whole saga was that he could never really return to his beloved club in any meaningful form. Reunions - tick. Volunteer - tick. Confidante/mentor - tick. But never in any paid or meaningful role.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

hird has always given me the "i'm the smartest man in the room" vibes - any room that is - but so far i haven't seen anything that suggests he isn't a fool tbh.

He did get away with working with Shane Charter for an extended period as a player without getting popped so he isn't a complete idiot though lol

Sumich compared himself to Brad Scott on radio today. Just let that sink in.

I was about to ask if you are serious but then I remembered you said Sumich.

WaywardSonSon

Cancelled
Coney Island Warriors - Sweet F.A.
Jun 27, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Cool Runnings
To be fair, it was complimentary of Brad, “you don’t lose the passion or skills”…. “Much like me”.
You also don't lose the brain cells...if you never had them to begin with =P

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
That's totally missing my point. If he'd played for another club and then coached Essendon and did what he did, not a single Essendon person would piss on him if he was on fire. But he was one of their greatest ever players
If Pav coached Fremantle and did something similar, would you feel 100% negative towards him?
I wouldn't be wanting him to coach us again that's for sure.

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
I would absolutely never, ever want him to coach Freo for a second time

And I wouldn't want a premiership ex-coach on the Freo board who publicly stated that he wanted "the other guy" less than 24 hours after the club had announced a new senior coach.

Dump Truck

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Has Hird ever been in a senior assistant role? I know he worked with GWS and we inquired about him being an opposition analyst but I don't think he's ever had a meaningful senior coaching role in the AFL after his time at the dons.
Both Voss and Leppitsch after Brisbane have worked hard in senior roles to keep their skills and experience relative. I can't recall Hird doing that.

Square Peg

Cancelled
Fremantle Poster of the Year Fremantle Board Tipping Champion
Jul 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I wouldn't be wanting him to coach us again that's for sure.
Neither would I but that isn't the point.
I would absolutely never, ever want him to coach Freo for a second time

And I wouldn't want a premiership ex-coach on the Freo board who publicly stated that he wanted "the other guy" less than 24 hours after the club had announced a new senior coach.
Neither would I but that isn't the point

gungho

Club Legend
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
The slow, yet deliberate, attempt to change the narrative of the story (by the AFL coaches Association, Hawthorn, then Brisbane, and then some media pundits) from a harrowing and shocking abuse of power, to innocent till prove guilty, fair trial, great family men bla bla bla, speaks to the power held by those accused. This will be a huge test for the AFL. As a uk prime minister once said, I hope they don't end up being "great supine protoplasmic invertebrate jellies. "

Wobbly Punt

All Australian
Feb 24, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle

Just a quick note on that point PT - I sit on a few small Boards and, as has been pointed out by Twomey, there is a massive difference between Unanimous and Fully Endorsed. Essendon didn't misrepresent anything in what they said. I've actually been in Sheedy's position on a senior appointment and been the only voice against an appointment being made. It's not a happy spot but you accept you're one voice on a panel and you move the hell on and support the decision publicly. Its not hard to do even when frustrated. If it was on a matter of principle then you resign and perhaps go public then.

He could easily call Hird privately and say "I voted for you" as that seems to be his main concern. It wouldn't be common but alo not completely out of order for Barham to privately confirm it to Hird for Sheedy if it was that important to him. However, if Sheedy thinks Hird needs this sort of confirmation to believe what Sheedy told him then Sheedy doesn't have the relationship with Hird he thinks he does.

Even without all the other idiocy, there is no clearer sign Sheedy should not continue as a Board member than this hissy fit. He has clearly demonstrated he doesn't have the brains to differentiate between 2 fairly simple concepts or the ability to maintain confidentiality and a united front. Being a dumb loudmouth recalcitrant is as good a reason as any to move him on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back