2022 Women's Basketball World Cup Thread

The Lobbster

All Australian
Apr 21, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
If this was played in Melbourne the whole crowd would be for Australia.

Tbf I went to one of the qualifiers for the men against china and it was a 50/50 split but no question it would’ve been better in almost any other state

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Luuuc

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats, Perth Lynx
We were never going to get near the yanks, with this team

True. But no one was. They're a level above atm. The gap between them and second has never been wider.
Once the dust settles I think most people who know basketball will be pretty happy with the Opals even if they lose tomorrow (which I think is likely after how much energy they expended tonight compared to Canada).
I definitely am.
This tournament has been a step in the forward direction after several years of sinking.

Oct 5, 2007
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
True. But no one was. They're a level above atm. The gap between them and second has never been wider.
Once the dust settles I think most people who know basketball will be pretty happy with the Opals even if they lose tomorrow (which I think is likely after how much energy they expended tonight compared to Canada).
I definitely am.
This tournament has been a step in the forward direction after several years of sinking.

Yep, the US have surged ahead, which is not surprising with the WNBA going from strength to strength.

But that was a net gain for the Opals, getting back to their brand and reversing the trend. We played outstanding D for the tournament, team cohesion was better than its been for a long time, depth is good but unfortunately we lack superstars like LJ and Penny, which the peak Opals had.

I often wonder how good Gretel Tippett would have become, had she not quit the game. WNBL rookie of the year, great size, outstanding athletesism and a good dose of self confidence.

Back