List Mgmt. 2022 GWS GIANTS List Management (Trade/ Free Agency/ Draft/ Academy)

Remove this Banner Ad

It was interesting Sheezel's manager said he predicted he would go 3-10. The hosts didn't really pick up on that but it suggests North definitely not there but West Coast are. I think North would likely take Wardlaw/Tsatas as a replacement for Horne-Francis who is 6/4 on to leave at the end of next year, probably to the Crows. Adelaide will be average again next year and will give up next years 1st for him and North will use that pick for something different.

We need to get our hands on that West Coast pick. I would package up a suite to grab it. So long as we keep our 1sts for next year which could be as many as three, we only need the two high picks this year and some trimmings. If we don't get the extra high pick hopefully Sheezel and Tsatas go before us.

I'm just not buying what Harry Sheezel is saying, he is from such a tight family and community, he can tolerate another Melbourne club but I think would really struggle elsewhere. Because he's such a lovely well spoken young man and professional he would try his hardest but its a no for me.

Is there any real reporting out there to suggest that Sheezel is a greater flight risk then other? He's said all the right things in the media from what I've seen, there's been no reporting like there was with Archie Perkins and Bailey Smith that he's told clubs outside of Victoria to not pick him. Those that think he's a greater flight risk what are you pointing to that backs that point of view up? He seems just like every other draftee from Victoria, most of them stay where they're drafted and some go home.

Its very difficult to tell from the outside how big a flight risk someone is.

Everyone has said from the beginning that JKelly would go to North and was a flight risk, he'll be here for life. Caldwell there was never any talk and he left first chance.

I think on occasion there is a clear risk, but most times you dont really know.

Its very difficult to tell from the outside how big a flight risk someone is.

Everyone has said from the beginning that JKelly would go to North and was a flight risk, he'll be here for life. Caldwell there was never any talk and he left first chance.

I think on occasion there is a clear risk, but most times you dont really know.
Yeah that's exactly how I see it too, unless you can read the players mind you just have to back your club in, there isn't any glaring red flags with Sheezel to suggest he'd go home so I'd feel comfortable in taking him. Think something that works in our favour would be that him and Callaghan played together at Sandy so it would be good for him to have a connection with someone his age right out of the gate, there's really no one in Sheezel's direct way to stop him from getting games, if he's good enough he'll play this isn't a situation where we're taking a mid really high and he's stuck behind 6 guys.

Still plenty to play out in the trade
period and with some clubs needing to improve their picks to get trades done I can see an opportunity for the club to bundle picks up to either move up this year or next and important to this is getting the Tigers trades done early to allow time for clubs to work through options

Sure their are others but Dockers (Jackson) and Lions (Dunkley) need to work out picks

Further down the track North (Clarkson may want a few more picks in this years draft or he may split #1 this year depending on who he likes) and the Lions may move next years picks into this year to work out points for Ashcroft/Fletcher and have a pick for the Dunkley trade

Bombers will be a watch this space and I think they could be the spot for Bowes with salary cap space and nearly guaranteed game time for him as a big mid they have wanted for a few years

Is there any real reporting out there to suggest that Sheezel is a greater flight risk then other? He's said all the right things in the media from what I've seen, there's been no reporting like there was with Archie Perkins and Bailey Smith that he's told clubs outside of Victoria to not pick him. Those that think he's a greater flight risk what are you pointing to that backs that point of view up? He seems just like every other draftee from Victoria, most of them stay where they're drafted and some go home.
So he’s a devout Jewish lad based in a Jewish heartland area of Melbourne. I’ve worked in this area and it is the tightest of communities.

As you say it’s not to say he can’t move and excel but he would be a significantly higher risk than some others.

Ultimately how our club embraces its kids, develops them and how they respond decides whether they stay 2 years, 4 years or for their careers but I’m telling you it’s a lot of pressure. He is an A grade human so no risks re personality but it would be much harder for him than others.

Only issues with Wardlaw which I think is holding me back is that midfield just isn't a position of need right now and especially an inside contested ball style mid, if he's happy to wait his turn a bit when it comes to being given a full midfield role and is able to impact the game effectively in another position then I'd feel more comfortable, just don't know if I can go through picking up another gun mid that can't crack the midfield then wanting to leave after a couple years, if there was more security (which is obviously impossible to get) then I'd feel better about it but it's a risk I feel less comfortable with then the others.
But he’s very different to any of our other mids. He uses his legs/speed to drive out of stoppage. He would likely get plenty of games early.

So he’s a devout Jewish lad based in a Jewish heartland area of Melbourne. I’ve worked in this area and it is the tightest of communities.

As you say it’s not to say he can’t move and excel but he would be a significantly higher risk than some others.

Ultimately how our club embraces its kids, develops them and how they respond decides whether they stay 2 years, 4 years or for their careers but I’m telling you it’s a lot of pressure. He is an A grade human so no risks re personality but it would be much harder for him than others.
There’s no way we can continue to take that risk… nothing against him personally.

Ah so the Jewish faith is the main sticking point? I did see in his comments he said he would prefer to stay in Melbourne but to be fair I'm sure they all probably think that especially at that age he's just probably a bit more honest then others so that wasn't a big deal for me. I don't live in the Western Sydney area but have visited a few times to see family I have there, it is quite a multicultural area right? These guys aren't exactly living in the heart of Western Sydney like they were in the early years but still more west then the coast I'd imagine for most. I know GWS do a lot of work with the Muslim community every year with Bachar Houli, I'm sure there'd be space for him to connect with his faith in the way he chooses to in Sydney.

Your 100% Correct

Not just about friends but Family and family commitments are very important and expected
I dont know the kid personally or about his family or community but as a betting man i would doubt he stays until free agency if its true about being a devout jewish lad.

Hope Cadman slips to you guys and North trading pick 1 to another club would be a good thing as they would take him at #1 i would think
Eagles will go Midfielder imo

Ah so the Jewish faith is the main sticking point? I did see in his comments he said he would prefer to stay in Melbourne but to be fair I'm sure they all probably think that especially at that age he's just probably a bit more honest then others so that wasn't a big deal for me. I don't live in the Western Sydney area but have visited a few times to see family I have there, it is quite a multicultural area right? These guys aren't exactly living in the heart of Western Sydney like they were in the early years but still more west then the coast I'd imagine for most. I know GWS do a lot of work with the Muslim community every year with Bachar Houli, I'm sure there'd be space for him to connect with his faith in the way he chooses to in Sydney.
I’m trying to be super sensitive and not come across as a narrow minded bigot that generalizes as it may seem…not my intention at all.

As with any faith there are different degrees of involvement. This young lad is particularly devout and proud of his faith (not a bad thing) and would like to be a powerful a positive ambassador for the Jewish community.

Some of the very devout Jewish families are quite secular in the way they go about things.

It is not to say they cannot adapt and that he cannot succeed outside of this, the fact he’s playing AFL against open players of all backgrounds shows that, I’m just saying he would really be most comfortable if he was closer to his community/family.

I have no doubt our recruiters would have pushed the high community values of our club and the sensitivities we have shown to our AFL and AFLW players.

If I was them and really wanted his buy in you would be pushing the fact he would be there to inspire everyone and people of his faith in Sydney of which there are many but more so in the Northern and Eastern Suburbs.

If we were a more mature club and had more cache with support, history etc I probably wouldn’t be as concerned but I do think he comes with a red flag and with our retention record of high draft picks I would be unwilling to chance it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Idk all the go home stuff is weird because unless GWS with all the intel they get from him and the people around him (which is infinitely more then what the public sees) says that he's a big red flag to move then they're probably going to back themselves into to drafting him and making him feel comfortable, 2 interviews with us already points to genuine interest. We really just don't know because we're not in the interviews and the investigating process, Cadman feels like the best imo good balance of best player, position of need, valuable position and no word of any interstate move in the process yet.

Last edited:
Since I love to boost my ego any opportunity I get, RMC has started on draft profiles for this years prospects and I'm doing essentially all the Sandringham Dragons ones, here's Harry Sheezel's since he's one a few of us are keen on at 3/4

Idk all the go home stuff is weird because unless GWS with all the intel they get from him and the people around him (which is infinitely more then what the public sees) says that he's a big red flag to move then they're probably going to back themselves into to drafting him and making him feel comfortable, 2 interviews with us already points to genuine interest.
07E2B0A7-8D38-4F21-BD99-84315AD77B86.jpeg 4CE4A35E-3ACD-476F-9A0D-AF7673288281.jpeg

They tell them what they want to hear.

With all the recent postings on whether top young draft picks will stay or not; this is a relevant article on how the most successful clubs have gone about doing just that (I have bolded some interesting bits):

Report reveals surprising insights that have the AFLPA open to increasing the draft age beyond 18 years

SAM LANDSBERGER

AFL AND BBL WRITER

NEWS CORP AUSTRALIA SPORTS NEWSROOM

30 SEPTEMBER 2022

Delisted young footballers are leaving the game with a set of challenges far greater than seasoned players who hang up the boots, new research has found.

The AFL Players’ Association canvassed 208 players who left the game from 2019-2021 and found those with short career spans had lower levels of wellbeing, higher levels of career self-doubt and a more difficult journey finding their feet after football.

Those surprising insights have the AFLPA open to increasing the draft age beyond 18 years in what is an age-old debate that has the strong support of several premiership coaches and clubs – but not the AFL, who fear rival sports would poach star junior talent.

“I think there's definitely an argument for that (increasing the draft age),” AFLPA boss Paul Marsh said.

“We certainly see the players coming in the system as mature-age players are better prepared.

“They know what the other side looks like, they've got some skills already. In saying that it’s not the be-all and end-all. Delaying it by a year isn’t necessarily going to solve all these problems.”

Youngsters who have their AFL dream ended early still carry a “super high athletic identity” and often bounce around state leagues attempting to earn a second chance.

“The general view is that players with a shorter career span are not as affected as they haven't been in the bubble as long,” AFLPA general manager of member programs and services Ben Smith said.

“But everything in the research that we're seeing now would suggest that that journey is actually more challenged than it is for the player that retires.

“They were lower on all of the markers — wellbeing, financial confidence and confidence in transition from a career perspective.

“The work on their non-athletic identity hasn’t been done and that’s where the confidence comes from about who they are if they’re not a footballer,”

Mature-agers have far more autonomy in their decision-making before entering an AFL club whereas teenagers drafted are often told when to sleep and what to eat.

That means suddenly self-navigating life away from football can be difficult.

Recently punted youngsters include Liam Stocker (Carlton), 22, Francis Evans (Geelong), 21, and sons of guns Tom Hird (Essendon), 21, and Tyler Brown (Collingwood), 22.

Greater Western Sydney, who is set to trade Tanner Bruhn to Geelong two years after using the No.12 pick on him, wants the AFL to increase draft contracts to three or four years for players selected in the top 20-25.

Marsh said it would be: “Great if players had longer careers guaranteed ... (but) I don't know if that proposal helps the problem”.

Revealed: The clubs with the best culture in the AFL

A fresh report that has surveyed every footballer in the AFL has revealed clubs who trust their players are far more likely to enjoy premiership success.

The first edition of the AFL Player’s Associations’ Insights & Impact Report has proven there is a link between workplace culture and ladder success.

But several clubs and senior football figures appear to be failing to understand the importance — and subsequent on-field benefits — of striking a healthy work-life balance.

The majority of AFL players told the report they feel their senior coach is unsupportive of them pursuing off-field interests, while AFLPA chief executive Paul Marsh said clubs who choose empowerment over control have become destination clubs.

“The workplace culture measures correlate very, very closely with what’s happening on the field,” Marsh said.

“In this particular report, and this is not a once-off, the top four clubs on the ladder are within the top six clubs on our workplace culture measures.

“We’re seeing some real clear themes here, and the key words I’d probably use are trust, care, respecting the players’ time and empowering players is what we’ve seen as the big shift in the industry.

“The clubs who are having on-field success are getting those points. Trust both ways (and) not seeking to control everything that the players do is having a big impact on players’ enjoyment, and the players are repaying that trust.

“Players have more leave now than they’ve ever had, yet they’ll come back from their leave periods ready to go.

“Players are repaying the trust and the clubs that are giving it to them are becoming clubs of choice.

“Players are gravitating towards those clubs. The work we do and players talking to each other, there is a movement towards those types of clubs.”

It’s believed the report, which covered the 2021 AFL season, read favourably for Melbourne, Port Adelaide, Geelong and Brisbane Lions.

They all ranked in the top six for workplace culture.

Western Bulldogs reached the grand final but are understood not to have ranked in the top six clubs for workplace culture as somewhat of an outlier.

The Dogs sought AFLPA permission to train through their designated mid-season bye last year but were unable to engineer a replacement break as Covid created fresh chaos.

The Demons are understood to have ranked lowly many seasons ago but changed their culture and charged to last year’s drought-breaking premiership.

“The clubs are embracing this data. When I started this role in 2014 I could not believe how little the players were enjoying (their jobs),” Marsh said.

“There’s been a huge shift. The clubs are giving the players more trust and the players are repaying that trust.

“Even the bottom club is still going better than they were (in 2013), but the top clubs are doing so much right. So impressive.

“So clubs are taking this seriously.

“We’ve had some really difficult conversations with some clubs in the last five or six years where they’ve been at the bottom of this stuff and clubs have actually won premierships since.

“We’re just representing what their players are telling them and clubs that are acting on it we’re seeing proper improvement.

“Consistently the clubs that we see as the best performers on the field are the best performers in this as well.”

Marsh said some clubs were changing their schedules “with no notice” and the flow-on effect hindered players’ off-field lives.

He said the “top clubs understand that”.

The survey questions used to rank workplace culture at AFL clubs included;

* My club commitments allow adequate time for study and / or additional work placements;

* My club commitments allow adequate time for leisure, family / other important relationships;

* Off-field development is taken seriously at my club; and

* I feel my club cares for me as a person, as well as a player

One club ranked a concerning 6.45 out of 10 from players who were asked: “My club commitments allow me to have a ‘mental break’ from footy between matches”.

The average club score for that study was 7.96, with 11 clubs grading 8.0 or higher and the leader at 9.37.

Clubs were de-identified in the report however the AFLPA has shared individual club data with each club so they know their ranking in the league.

Also of concern was the 9 per cent of players who were expected to attend their club on their weekly day off in 2021, a rise from 2 per cent in 2019.

A further 27 per cent of players were expected to ‘report back’ to their club during annual leave through GPS tracking apps and time trial results.

Close to 40 players (5.6 per cent) admitted they were still not reporting their concussions while 6.2 per cent said they continued to play or train without medical attention while concussed.

While players rate their understanding of concussion, 32 per cent said they receive AFL education less than once a year and 64 per cent are concerned about the potential long-term effects.

Players want the AFL’s 12-day concussion protocols to be backed up by science and medical evidence.

“It is important to state that players and the AFLPA would be open to a number more or less than 12 days if the science and medical evidence dictates it,” the report said.

“We believe players will be more likely to report if and when we reach this point. Encouragingly, the vast majority of players believe their club prioritises their health and safety over performance when managing a head knock.

“This belief diminishes somewhat when comparing their club’s response to head knocks in the Home and Away season with the Finals series.”

Only 40 per cent of first-year players reported to having a Player Individual Development Plan, a steep drop from 69 per cent in 2019 and 50 per cent in 2020.

There was a large discrepancy between the amount of players who penned a Player Individual Development Plan, a document which plays a vital role in helping players proactively explore outside interests to support their off-field development and their ultimate transition out of the game.

While one club had 92 per cent of its players write an individualised plan, another had just 41 per cent.

The AFLPA has listed 32 recommendations across seven different areas. The workplace culture and club support ones include;

AFLPA RECOMMENDATIONS

* A REVIEW and focus on time provided to players for non-football activities and appropriate notice of scheduling changes;

* CONTINUED monitoring of the impact on players of soft cap cuts on Workplace Culture and Club Support;

* RE-FOCUS from all in the industry on the importance of off-field development;

* CLUBS to respect the agreements of the CBA and not require players to attend work during leave periods or negotiated days off unless essential for genuine injury rehabilitation reasons;

*AFLW and AFLPA to continue to monitor club compliance with contracted hour obligations and consider the appropriateness of sanctions for any issues of non-compliance;

* AFLW and AFLPA to continue to discuss ideal number of future contracted hours to appropriately balance development and performance imperatives with commitments outside football.

Bruhn didn’t leave because of lack of opportunity. It’s such a big waste of our resources.
I wasn’t suggesting he left
For a lack of opportunity

He left because we took in a reluctant 18 year old and didn’t have the ability to establish deep enough connections in a new city. Same with the rest that leave.

To some degree we need to own that part of the club was amazing at retaining young kids at our inception has dropped off. The deck is stacked against us… we need to have the best off field support available to counter the pull

I wasn’t suggesting he left
For a lack of opportunity

He left because we took in a reluctant 18 year old and didn’t have the ability to establish deep enough connections in a new city. Same with the rest that leave.

To some degree we need to own that part of the club was amazing at retaining young kids at our inception has dropped off. The deck is stacked against us… we need to have the best off field support available to counter the pull
To be fair to the club...we did have him over two years of covid where he probably didn't get much exposure to Sydney and the network provided. I'm glad we have him the game time.

With all the recent postings on whether top young draft picks will stay or not; this is a relevant article on how the most successful clubs have gone about doing just that (I have bolded some interesting bits):

Report reveals surprising insights that have the AFLPA open to increasing the draft age beyond 18 years

SAM LANDSBERGER

AFL AND BBL WRITER

NEWS CORP AUSTRALIA SPORTS NEWSROOM

30 SEPTEMBER 2022

Delisted young footballers are leaving the game with a set of challenges far greater than seasoned players who hang up the boots, new research has found.

The AFL Players’ Association canvassed 208 players who left the game from 2019-2021 and found those with short career spans had lower levels of wellbeing, higher levels of career self-doubt and a more difficult journey finding their feet after football.

Those surprising insights have the AFLPA open to increasing the draft age beyond 18 years in what is an age-old debate that has the strong support of several premiership coaches and clubs – but not the AFL, who fear rival sports would poach star junior talent.

“I think there's definitely an argument for that (increasing the draft age),” AFLPA boss Paul Marsh said.

“We certainly see the players coming in the system as mature-age players are better prepared.

“They know what the other side looks like, they've got some skills already. In saying that it’s not the be-all and end-all. Delaying it by a year isn’t necessarily going to solve all these problems.”

Youngsters who have their AFL dream ended early still carry a “super high athletic identity” and often bounce around state leagues attempting to earn a second chance.

“The general view is that players with a shorter career span are not as affected as they haven't been in the bubble as long,” AFLPA general manager of member programs and services Ben Smith said.

“But everything in the research that we're seeing now would suggest that that journey is actually more challenged than it is for the player that retires.

“They were lower on all of the markers — wellbeing, financial confidence and confidence in transition from a career perspective.

“The work on their non-athletic identity hasn’t been done and that’s where the confidence comes from about who they are if they’re not a footballer,”

Mature-agers have far more autonomy in their decision-making before entering an AFL club whereas teenagers drafted are often told when to sleep and what to eat.

That means suddenly self-navigating life away from football can be difficult.

Recently punted youngsters include Liam Stocker (Carlton), 22, Francis Evans (Geelong), 21, and sons of guns Tom Hird (Essendon), 21, and Tyler Brown (Collingwood), 22.

Greater Western Sydney, who is set to trade Tanner Bruhn to Geelong two years after using the No.12 pick on him, wants the AFL to increase draft contracts to three or four years for players selected in the top 20-25.

Marsh said it would be: “Great if players had longer careers guaranteed ... (but) I don't know if that proposal helps the problem”.

Revealed: The clubs with the best culture in the AFL

A fresh report that has surveyed every footballer in the AFL has revealed clubs who trust their players are far more likely to enjoy premiership success.

The first edition of the AFL Player’s Associations’ Insights & Impact Report has proven there is a link between workplace culture and ladder success.

But several clubs and senior football figures appear to be failing to understand the importance — and subsequent on-field benefits — of striking a healthy work-life balance.

The majority of AFL players told the report they feel their senior coach is unsupportive of them pursuing off-field interests, while AFLPA chief executive Paul Marsh said clubs who choose empowerment over control have become destination clubs.

“The workplace culture measures correlate very, very closely with what’s happening on the field,” Marsh said.

“In this particular report, and this is not a once-off, the top four clubs on the ladder are within the top six clubs on our workplace culture measures.

“We’re seeing some real clear themes here, and the key words I’d probably use are trust, care, respecting the players’ time and empowering players is what we’ve seen as the big shift in the industry.

“The clubs who are having on-field success are getting those points. Trust both ways (and) not seeking to control everything that the players do is having a big impact on players’ enjoyment, and the players are repaying that trust.

“Players have more leave now than they’ve ever had, yet they’ll come back from their leave periods ready to go.

“Players are repaying the trust and the clubs that are giving it to them are becoming clubs of choice.

“Players are gravitating towards those clubs. The work we do and players talking to each other, there is a movement towards those types of clubs.”

It’s believed the report, which covered the 2021 AFL season, read favourably for Melbourne, Port Adelaide, Geelong and Brisbane Lions.

They all ranked in the top six for workplace culture.

Western Bulldogs reached the grand final but are understood not to have ranked in the top six clubs for workplace culture as somewhat of an outlier.

The Dogs sought AFLPA permission to train through their designated mid-season bye last year but were unable to engineer a replacement break as Covid created fresh chaos.

The Demons are understood to have ranked lowly many seasons ago but changed their culture and charged to last year’s drought-breaking premiership.

“The clubs are embracing this data. When I started this role in 2014 I could not believe how little the players were enjoying (their jobs),” Marsh said.

“There’s been a huge shift. The clubs are giving the players more trust and the players are repaying that trust.

“Even the bottom club is still going better than they were (in 2013), but the top clubs are doing so much right. So impressive.

“So clubs are taking this seriously.

“We’ve had some really difficult conversations with some clubs in the last five or six years where they’ve been at the bottom of this stuff and clubs have actually won premierships since.

“We’re just representing what their players are telling them and clubs that are acting on it we’re seeing proper improvement.

“Consistently the clubs that we see as the best performers on the field are the best performers in this as well.”

Marsh said some clubs were changing their schedules “with no notice” and the flow-on effect hindered players’ off-field lives.

He said the “top clubs understand that”.

The survey questions used to rank workplace culture at AFL clubs included;

* My club commitments allow adequate time for study and / or additional work placements;

* My club commitments allow adequate time for leisure, family / other important relationships;

* Off-field development is taken seriously at my club; and

* I feel my club cares for me as a person, as well as a player

One club ranked a concerning 6.45 out of 10 from players who were asked: “My club commitments allow me to have a ‘mental break’ from footy between matches”.

The average club score for that study was 7.96, with 11 clubs grading 8.0 or higher and the leader at 9.37.

Clubs were de-identified in the report however the AFLPA has shared individual club data with each club so they know their ranking in the league.

Also of concern was the 9 per cent of players who were expected to attend their club on their weekly day off in 2021, a rise from 2 per cent in 2019.

A further 27 per cent of players were expected to ‘report back’ to their club during annual leave through GPS tracking apps and time trial results.

Close to 40 players (5.6 per cent) admitted they were still not reporting their concussions while 6.2 per cent said they continued to play or train without medical attention while concussed.

While players rate their understanding of concussion, 32 per cent said they receive AFL education less than once a year and 64 per cent are concerned about the potential long-term effects.

Players want the AFL’s 12-day concussion protocols to be backed up by science and medical evidence.

“It is important to state that players and the AFLPA would be open to a number more or less than 12 days if the science and medical evidence dictates it,” the report said.

“We believe players will be more likely to report if and when we reach this point. Encouragingly, the vast majority of players believe their club prioritises their health and safety over performance when managing a head knock.

“This belief diminishes somewhat when comparing their club’s response to head knocks in the Home and Away season with the Finals series.”

Only 40 per cent of first-year players reported to having a Player Individual Development Plan, a steep drop from 69 per cent in 2019 and 50 per cent in 2020.

There was a large discrepancy between the amount of players who penned a Player Individual Development Plan, a document which plays a vital role in helping players proactively explore outside interests to support their off-field development and their ultimate transition out of the game.

While one club had 92 per cent of its players write an individualised plan, another had just 41 per cent.

The AFLPA has listed 32 recommendations across seven different areas. The workplace culture and club support ones include;

AFLPA RECOMMENDATIONS

* A REVIEW and focus on time provided to players for non-football activities and appropriate notice of scheduling changes;

* CONTINUED monitoring of the impact on players of soft cap cuts on Workplace Culture and Club Support;

* RE-FOCUS from all in the industry on the importance of off-field development;

* CLUBS to respect the agreements of the CBA and not require players to attend work during leave periods or negotiated days off unless essential for genuine injury rehabilitation reasons;

*AFLW and AFLPA to continue to monitor club compliance with contracted hour obligations and consider the appropriateness of sanctions for any issues of non-compliance;

* AFLW and AFLPA to continue to discuss ideal number of future contracted hours to appropriately balance development and performance imperatives with commitments outside football.

Surely you can't have diacos Walsh Rowell etc. Playing an extra year of juniors?

Having just listened to Harry Sheezel interview on AFL Exchange I have come to the conclusion he is the right man for us.
He speaks very well and seems very mature.
He understands and expects to play forward for the first couple of years... Models his game on Conor Rozee and Toby Greene...
From what I can tell if we treat him right he will stay loyal to us.
Let's have a think about what this would mean for us going forward.

We will be building a team around (all under 24):
  • Tom Green
  • Finn Callaghan
  • Sam Taylor
  • Conor Stone (unproven)
  • Leek Aleer
  • Lachie Ash
  • Conor Idun
  • Harry Perryman
  • Wade Derksen (unproven)
  • Jake Riccardi (will only get better when we manage to lower our eyes and hit him on the lead)
  • Josh Fahey
  • Keiren Briggs
  • Cooper Hamilton (I think will play 15+ games next year)

Then add Harry Sheezel to the forward half mix with Stone, Riccardi & Derksen. Imagine a Conor Rozee type player with elite goal sense.

Obviously looking at that list the forward line is the area of most need. I truly see Riccardi coming on in leaps and bounds. But that is a list of elite talent all with 8+ years left.

PMBangers why has everyone gone so cold on Harry Lemmey (200cm Key forward)? I understand he didn't have a great championships but he has played 2 years of League football in the SANFL. What do you think about grabbing him with say our pick #30 if we don't take Cadman? He won't be expecting early games as he is not a first round selection and that will give him say 2 more years to spend building himself up in the VFL.

Having just listened to Harry Sheezel interview on AFL Exchange I have come to the conclusion he is the right man for us.
He speaks very well and seems very mature.
He understands and expects to play forward for the first couple of years... Models his game on Conor Rozee and Toby Greene...
From what I can tell if we treat him right he will stay loyal to us.
Let's have a think about what this would mean for us going forward.

We will be building a team around (all under 24):
  • Tom Green
  • Finn Callaghan
  • Sam Taylor
  • Conor Stone (unproven)
  • Leek Aleer
  • Lachie Ash
  • Conor Idun
  • Harry Perryman
  • Wade Derksen (unproven)
  • Jake Riccardi (will only get better when we manage to lower our eyes and hit him on the lead)
  • Josh Fahey
  • Keiren Briggs
  • Cooper Hamilton (I think will play 15+ games next year)

Then add Harry Sheezel to the forward half mix with Stone, Riccardi & Derksen. Imagine a Conor Rozee type player with elite goal sense.

Obviously looking at that list the forward line is the area of most need. I truly see Riccardi coming on in leaps and bounds. But that is a list of elite talent all with 8+ years left.

PMBangers why has everyone gone so cold on Harry Lemmey (200cm Key forward)? I understand he didn't have a great championships but he has played 2 years of League football in the SANFL. What do you think about grabbing him with say our pick #30 if we don't take Cadman? He won't be expecting early games as he is not a first round selection and that will give him say 2 more years to spend building himself up in the VFL.
I love the optimism but there's a very real chance that Riccardi doesn't really improve enough and just doesn't end up being that good and Derksen although looked pretty promising in a few VFL games we're yet to see him play seniors footy so he is truly unknown and the hit rate on mid-season draft picks isn't exactly (really hope I'm wrong about both of them). Doesn't compute with my brain that Perryman is still under 24, feel like he's been around forever. Would love Sheezel, think he's going to be star and it would be a nightmare for teams to have to defend him and Toby, teams just aren't really set up to have 2 quality mid sized lockdown defenders without sacrificing offensive rebound. Only issue with Sheezel is the go home stuff and I have no idea what type of flight risk he is, I don't lean either way to him being more or less of a flight risk just because there's nothing glaringly obvious about him leaving and he's of course said all the right things but ultimately talk is cheap. It doesn't seem like he's obviously more of a flight risk then other vic prospects. Think he'd be my top pick out of the 3 in our range.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back