Player Watch #16 - Bailey Laurie - Pick 22

Remove this Banner Ad

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
From the games I saw he had a lot more impact this year compared to 2021.

I'd imagine he didn't get a debut as our HFFs are required to do a mountain of running and Kozz, Spargo and ANB are all great gut runners.

He's similar to Spargo in a lot of ways but maybe a little more dynamic in his movement and more of a goal scoring threat, as he can kick 50m and is pretty crafty around goals. He also played a bit of midfield time at Casey too and was decent around the stoppages (noting that Munro, White and Dunstan had a lot of centre square minutes).

Without looking at the stats, he had a lot more 20d and 1-2g games this year. Building nicely but unsure of his point of difference next to Spargo and ANB - none of them have real wheels which I think is what we need in our front half.

If he builds his tank during the offseason surely debuts early next year. ANB and Spargo aren't exactly auto selections in the side on the back of this year. Bit of a wake up call and competition might do them the world of good.

Lampers

Premiership Player
May 27, 2004
Eastside
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
He had quite a purple patch mid season where he switched on ball and half forward and racked up disposals and goals. Dropped off for whatever reason towards the end of the year, mostly because it looks like he’s not been in the midfield rotation as much.

Changed my opinion from “No good, won’t make it.” to “He deserves a chance, just don’t know who he would replace”.

I agree with stEdy, heavy Spargo vibes in appearance but also playing style. Not fast, not big (although bigger than Spargo), relies on agility and clever decisions coupled with good disposal.

Sep 20, 2005
Hell
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
He's a bit like an adult version of Spargo. Ole mate Chuck being entirely unable to kick a goal outside of JTG range is a big deal though given we piss away half our forward spots on guys who don't kick goals so there's room for Laurie to crack into the team. He's a proper good Bowey level kick but he's not as well rounded.

Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
If he builds his tank during the offseason surely debuts early next year. ANB and Spargo aren't exactly auto selections in the side on the back of this year. Bit of a wake up call and competition might do them the world of good.
ANB is automatic inclusion for me. He was one of few players actually standing up when we lost to that spud Brisbane team.

ANB is automatic inclusion for me. He was one of few players actually standing up when we lost to that spud Brisbane team.

One game doesnt make a season mate. He should absolutely be under pressure for his spot on the back of this year. He was garbage for the most part and im probably ANB's #1 fan behind his mum.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
One game doesnt make a season mate. He should absolutely be under pressure for his spot on the back of this year. He was garbage for the most part and im probably ANB's #1 fan behind his mum.
Yah he can already run and he's very disciplined
eric cartman kick GIF by South Park

He needs to spend the whole off season crumbing and snapping off no more than 5 steps. Don't even look at the goals look before you gather the ball.

Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm a huge fan of ANB. I don't see what you see but that's all good. Maybe coz im too busy tearing my hair out with Ben Brown.

I'm a huge fan of ANB. I don't see what you see but that's all good. Maybe coz im too busy tearing my hair out with Ben Brown.

His disposal in particular was horrible this year, constantly trying to step around people all the time also, getting caught in tackles.

Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
9th in the BnF tonight. And that's about where I rate him. I've never understood the hate. He's one on our better players and tonight's result was another confirmation of how highly he is rated internally.

9th in the BnF tonight. And that's about where I rate him. I've never understood the hate. He's one on our better players and tonight's result was another confirmation of how highly he is rated internally.

Mate, the bnf votes were whack. Petty didnt even finish top ten. I dont care what simple Simon or the rest of the crew think.

I seen it with me own two eyes I tells ya

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate, the bnf votes were whack. Petty didnt even finish top ten. I dont care what simple Simon or the rest of the crew think.

I seen it with me own two eyes I tells ya
Biggest drop off from eye test is his defensive pressure.

Very inconsistent inside 50 I thought.

where did Petty finish? is there a full list somewhere? But yeah Petty is probably about 6th-7th for me.

15th, behind Jackson, Sparrow and various other spuds

Dancing Potato

Premiership Player
Jul 7, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
And Jackson, outside the Brisbane game earlier in the year wtf did he do? Jack ******* s**t.

Yep.

To be fair, I think the BnF stops having relevance after the top five players anyway. Small pool of players, internal ratings based on performance to a potentially shitty gameplay etc.

Yep.

To be fair, I think the BnF stops having relevance after the top five players anyway. Small pool of players, internal ratings based on performance to a potentially shitty gameplay etc.

Yeah, all votes probably based on garbage Goody saw as valuable, like long slow kicks down the line, kicking points from set shots and spoiling your teammate inside 50

Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Where did Ben Brown finish?

Mich0

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
What’s the go with Laurie and why did we trade a future first rounder for this kid?

3 years on our list and nothing but a list clogger and can’t even get a run in the firsts behind the likes of Spargo, Chandler, ANB and Melksham.

Is this kid gonna be another 2nd round pick like Sparrow, Jordan and Spargo who Goodwin never gives up on and tries to shoehorn into the team despite next to no improvement and next to no AFL traits?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back