Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Moir has to be top 3 doesnt he?

Maybe needs to show midfield ability, if he hasnt already

I havnt seen Walters, Curtin ect but Moir looked ridiculously good vs WA and a great size with alot of tricks
i like Moir, but i like these others better, Curtin looked a level above in the recent u17's game, Walter kicked 9 goals in 4 games as an underager for the Allies who struggled to get i50 entries, also he looked strong and showed some athleticism for a tall, Nate Caddy marks anything that gets near him for Northern and at times for VM, Watson is a crafty little goal kicking tough nut who has been on the radar for about a year, i like Delean and how he plays moreso than Moir, thats my personal opinion, Tholstrup was one of the best players for WA in the u18's again as an underager, Duursma one of the best forward/mids and one of VC best players, Philactides is one of the toughest, smartest and clutch half backs in the draft pool imo, Moir is good and shows some talent, but i prefer these other guys at this time.

i have made only a handful of small changes to this list since May/June? and the performances usually back up where i rank them, so far

Moir did look great against WA, but was invisible in the Champs game against Vic Metro

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
update on 2023, 1 change to the top 30 Chad Reschke in and Will Patton out, then i increased it to a top 40.

1. Harley Reid - Bend - 185cm - absolute star, can play in all positions, can negate Nick Watson, outmark Lewis Hayes in the goal square, does everything
2. Jed Walter - GCS A - 194cm - big lump of a lad, goal kicking machine
3. Daniel Curtin - Clare - 195cm - star defender, won the best on in the u17's
4. Nate Caddy - North - 190cm - marking forward, might need work on goal kicking, but is a dangerous forward
5. Nick Watson - East - 169cm - dangerous small forward, fights hard and never gives up
6. Koltyn Tholstrup - Subi - 188cm - skillful forward who can also find it in the midfield, beautiful strong mark too
7. Jack Delean - Sth Adel - 181cm - good mark for his size and can also be a dangerous forward
8. Zane Duursma - Gipps - 188cm - forward/midfielder, Vic Country would have loved his goal kicking skills in the u18 champs decider
9. Nathan Philactides - Oak - 180cm - tough uncompromising defender
10. Ashton Moir - Glenlg - 186cm - skillful forward with a nice ability to take pack marks and a mark on a lead
11. Koen Sanchez - Est Frem - 176cm - skillful midfielder who went forward at the champs and looked good there
12. Jake Rogers - GCS A - 172cm - speedy small midfielder, quality player, was a sensation for GCS A iagainst the NAB League and starred for the Allies in the champs imo
13. Archer Reid - Gipps - 201cm - tall forward, tore it up at the Vic Trials, but didnt have the best champs, can turn it on every now and then
14. Riley Hardeman - Swan Dist - 185cm - classy speedy winger who was a great winger in the 2021 WAFL Colts GF and has been consistent since
15. Ben Ridgeway - Glenlg - 181cm - really dynamic midfielder, tough and can win the hard ball
16. Archie Roberts - Sand - 183cm - another classy winger from the Sandringham factory
17. Will Lorenz - Oak - 186cm - quality smooth midfielder, grandson of Hawks Legend Graham Arthur
18. Logan Morris - West - 192cm - quality FF for the Jets, surprised he didnt get more opportunity at the state level
19. Luamon Lual - GWV - 181cm - was a real difference maker in the Trials, not sure why he didnt get into the champs squad, but he looks the goods
20. Colby McKercher - Tas - 181cm - a really talented winger who i would like to see if he can play more midfield next season
21. Chad Reschke - Sturt - 187cm - leads all day, a bit chunky but has surprising speed on the lead, good strong mark as well, kicked 68 goals in u18 this yr
22. Alex Molan - GWV - 177cm - dynamic flanker/midfielder, always in the play and nearly always does something good with the footy
23. Sam Frangalas - Dand - 187cm - big strong midfielder/flanker, needs to find his position and dominate
24. George Stevens - GWV - 190cm - did an ACL i believe last year, but was fantastic prior to injury
25. Mitch Edwards - Peel - 196cm - quality tall in this draft, because of the lack of high end talls could go earlier, but theres so many quality sml/med forwards in this draft
26. Alex Holt - Sturt - 180cm - good hbf/wing, played well at times this year in the u17's and u18's
27. Oliver Badr - Oak - 177cm - good solid midfielder, has played well but could drop down the order if he doesnt show improvement
28. Will McCabe - Cent Dist - 196cm - quick and courageous tall forward/defender, need to see more but the potential is high and could go 1st/2nd rd?
29. Darcy Weeks - West - 178cm - solid inside midfielder, he and Lorenz + B.Wilson impressed me in a game a month or so ago, tough inside mid red head
30. Clay Hall - Peel - 189cm - hard working midfielder, just goes all game, good natural endurance it seems

31. Will Patton - West Adel - 191cm - solid defender from SA
32. Billy Wilson - Dand - 181cm - another quality outside type from dandenong, he Lorenz and Weeks really put their names up a few weeks ago
33. Michael Rudd - Geel - 191cm - another good marking medium forward this time from Geelong
34. Luca Slade - Sturt - 180cm - another good winger from SA
35. Coby James - Murray - 176cm - speedy hbf, i really liked him from the Vic Trials, no one is talking about him but he is quality
36. Caleb Windsor - Eastern - 184cm - was really good for Eastern earlier i nthe year outplaying his brother Kai in the midfield
37. Caiden Cleary - Syd A - 180cm - good midfielder from Syd A, a bit up and down in form, but a solid player
38. Ryley Sanders - Sand/Tas - 185cm - has potential to be top 20, but hasnt put it all together just yet
39. Riley Weatherill - Eastern - 195cm - tall forward with a good amount of talent another to impress at the Vic Trials in Werribee
40. Ethan Read - GCS A - 200cm - had a good couple games this year and has a lot of potential with his athleticism

other talented players to keep an eye on in 2023

Darcy Wilson, Harvey Thomas, Kobe Shipp, Xavier Walsh, Cam Nyko, James Lugsdin, Kynan Brown, Mahmoud Taha, Cooper Simpson, Jack Callinan, Diesel Moloney, Charlie Hillier (Patrick Weckert + Riak Andrew + Coen Livingstone ?)
Oh boy. Pick 2, two top 12 picks and potentially another top 40 pick all from our academy in the same year? No wonder the AFL just stripped us of automatic access to our academy players. Looks like we'll find ourselves in a very similar situation to Brisbane this year where all of our draft picks will be eaten up by bids on our academy players from other clubs. Probably explains why we're trying to clear salary cap space now because early draft picks will essentially be useless to us next year and will be better used as trade bait for a ready made player from another club.

Very excited about Walter by the way. The kid is a stud!

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Oh boy. Pick 2, two top 12 picks and potentially another top 40 pick all from our academy in the same year? No wonder the AFL just stripped us of automatic access to our academy players. Looks like we'll find ourselves in a very similar situation to Brisbane this year where all of our draft picks will be eaten up by bids on our academy players from other clubs. Probably explains why we're trying to clear salary cap space now because early draft picks will essentially be useless to us next year and will be better used as trade bait for a ready made player from another club.

i really like Jake Rogers, but i think his height might mean he slides to late 1st early 2nd rd, but on the flip side Ethan Read could rise, he is an exciting athletic tall so might go top 30 depending on his draft year development, these are early calls and subject to change, but yes you have 3 very good prospects at this stage, similar position to Brisbane this year.

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Aha my mistake :thumbsu:

Only really had the one standout game but..
Yeh i was just asking

I dont live in vic so dont watch them unless on stream

31 disp, 10 tackles in a game then 3 goals with 15 disp in another... not bad for an under ager. Nothing to write home about. Just didnt see him mentioned in the 40-50 names... so was just wondering if anyone had watched much of him

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
The usual player relo's post.

F/S.

Kynan Brown. (Nathan, Melbourne
Will McCabe. (Luke, Hawthorn.)
Charlie Naish. (Chris, Richmond.) (Not for Port Adelaide.)

Ineligible F/S.

Jack Callinan. (Ian, Adelaide.)
Sam Frangalas. (Gary, Richmond and Sydney.)

Siblings.

Alex Molan. (Sophie, Richmond AFLW.)

Grandsons.

?

Other.

?

Will Lorenz' section.

Grandfather, Graham Arthur. (Hawthorn.)
Great-grandfather, Alan Arthur. (Essendon.)
Great-great-uncle, Harold Arthur. (North Melbourne.)

Zane Duursma's section.

Brother, Xavier. (Port Adelaide.)
Sister, Yasmin. (Port Adelaide.)
Uncle, Jamie. (Sydney, Melbourne.)

Nate Caddy's section.

Dad, Saul. (Footscray, 0 games.)
Uncle, Josh. (Gold Coast, Geelong, Richmond.)
Great-uncle, Michael Reeves. (North Melbourne, Fitzroy.)
Great-grandfather, John Reeves. (North Melbourne.)
First cousin 1x removed, Ned Reeves. (Hawthorn.)

Archer Reid's section.

Brother, Zach. (Essendon.)
Grandfather, Peter McRae. (Footscray.)
Great-uncle, Frank McRae. (Footscray.)
Great-uncle, Colin McRae. (Fitzroy.) (Peter, Frank and Colin are/were brothers.)
1st cousin 1x removes, Dean McRae. (North Melbourne, Sydney.) (Son of Colin.)​

Bumping this for briztoon.

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The usual player relo's post.

F/S.

Kynan Brown. (Nathan, Melbourne
Will McCabe. (Luke, Hawthorn.)
Charlie Naish. (Chris, Richmond.) (Not for Port Adelaide.)

Ineligible F/S.

Jack Callinan. (Ian, Adelaide.)
Sam Frangalas. (Gary, Richmond and Sydney.)

Siblings.

Alex Molan. (Sophie, Richmond AFLW.)

Grandsons.

?

Other.

?

Will Lorenz' section.

Grandfather, Graham Arthur. (Hawthorn.)
Great-grandfather, Alan Arthur. (Essendon.)
Great-great-uncle, Harold Arthur. (North Melbourne.)

Zane Duursma's section.

Brother, Xavier. (Port Adelaide.)
Sister, Yasmin. (Port Adelaide.)
Uncle, Jamie. (Sydney, Melbourne.)

Nate Caddy's section.

Dad, Saul. (Footscray, 0 games.)
Uncle, Josh. (Gold Coast, Geelong, Richmond.)
Great-uncle, Michael Reeves. (North Melbourne, Fitzroy.)
Great-grandfather, John Reeves. (North Melbourne.)
First cousin 1x removed, Ned Reeves. (Hawthorn.)

Archer Reid's section.

Brother, Zach. (Essendon.)
Grandfather, Peter McRae. (Footscray.)
Great-uncle, Frank McRae. (Footscray.)
Great-uncle, Colin McRae. (Fitzroy.) (Peter, Frank and Colin are/were brothers.)
1st cousin 1x removed, Dean McRae. (North Melbourne, Sydney.) (Son of Colin.)​

Jordan Croft, Bulldogs F/S, son of Matthew

FilltheBlanks

Draftee
Oct 13, 2022
AFL Club
West Coast

Sorry if I've missed something here, I tried to look for confirmation online and found nothing, but would y'all be able match bids for Walter and Rogers if they came, for instance, at 2 and 12? I thought being academy rather than F/S they're fair game inside the top 40 picks, no?

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Sorry if I've missed something here, I tried to look for confirmation online and found nothing, but would y'all be able match bids for Walter and Rogers if they came, for instance, at 2 and 12? I thought being academy rather than F/S they're fair game inside the top 40 picks, no?

The Northern Academies in non-AFL states have different rules to the Next Generation Academies.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Next Generation Academies have the restriction of top 40 picks being fair game to everyone (hence the reason we were able to draft Mac Andrew out of Melbourne's NGA last year) but the Northern Academies retained access to top 40 picks when the rules were changed. I believe the NGA restriction came about because we started to see a large quantity of first round picks coming from the NGA system and it started to look like a rort - pick 1 2020, pick 8 2018, pick 8 2019, pick 13 2018, pick 16 2020, pick 23 2020, pick 35 2020, pick 39 2018, pick 39 2020. The same thing happened with GWS's academy zone when they removed the Albury/Murray region after too many high end prospects came through in a short period of time.

The answer to your question is yes - under the current rules we will be able to match bids for Walter, Rogers and Read should they all be first round picks. In fact, the AFL literally just changed the academy rules for us last week which will mean we have to match bids on our academy prospects once again after having automatic access to them for several years (part of the concession package they gave us in 2019 when we were rock bottom). The AFL knew there would be outrage if we got the likes of Walter, Rogers and Read for free and have changed the rules accordingly now that we appear to be on the right track.

Having three potential top 40 picks coming through in the same year is flirting with the idea of losing access but I doubt the AFL will punish us just for 1 outlier season in which we have several high end prospects coming through. We've been running our academy for over 10 years now and we've only had 1 first round pick come through (Jack Bowes) so it's not like we've got a massive advantage over everyone else. I think there needs to be at least 2-3 years of first round picks coming through your academy before the AFL punishes you, as evidenced by the NGA situation and GWS losing the Albury/Murray zone. I don't think our academy zone has any expected high end picks coming through in 2024 so I expect everything to stay the same going forward.

pushintheback

All Australian
May 31, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Next Generation Academies have the restriction of top 40 picks being fair game to everyone (hence the reason we were able to draft Mac Andrew out of Melbourne's NGA last year) but the Northern Academies retained access to top 40 picks when the rules were changed. I believe the NGA restriction came about because we started to see a large quantity of first round picks coming from the NGA system and it started to look like a rort - pick 1 2020, pick 8 2018, pick 8 2019, pick 13 2018, pick 16 2020, pick 23 2020, pick 35 2020, pick 39 2018, pick 39 2020. The same thing happened with GWS's academy zone when they removed the Albury/Murray region after too many high end prospects came through in a short period of time.

The answer to your question is yes - under the current rules we will be able to match bids for Walter, Rogers and Read should they all be first round picks. In fact, the AFL literally just changed the academy rules for us last week which will mean we have to match bids on our academy prospects once again after having automatic access to them for several years (part of the concession package they gave us in 2019 when we were rock bottom). The AFL knew there would be outrage if we got the likes of Walter, Rogers and Read for free and have changed the rules accordingly now that we appear to be on the right track.

Having three potential top 40 picks coming through in the same year is flirting with the idea of losing access but I doubt the AFL will punish us just for 1 outlier season in which we have several high end prospects coming through. We've been running our academy for over 10 years now and we've only had 1 first round pick come through (Jack Bowes) so it's not like we've got a massive advantage over everyone else. I think there needs to be at least 2-3 years of first round picks coming through your academy before the AFL punishes you, as evidenced by the NGA situation and GWS losing the Albury/Murray zone. I don't think our academy zone has any expected high end picks coming through in 2024 so I expect everything to stay the same going forward.

I honestly don’t know the answer so other than Walter who is a gun why would GC match bids if there are better kids available?

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I honestly don’t know the answer so other than Walter who is a gun why would GC match bids if there are better kids available?
The early predictions seem to suggest fellow GC academy players Jake Rogers and Ethan Read may also be top 40 picks, hence the reason we accumulated so many late draft picks for next year. I would guess we're looking to trade out our first round pick next year for a top end player to join us ala Lachie Neale to Brisbane a few years back. We have incentive to do that because a bid for Walter will very likely come before our first round pick. So it's either that or we trade up and try to get a pick earlier than the expected bid for Walter but our recruiting team have already said we're clearing cap room for a big fish so I'd say it's the former. Then we'll just use all our later picks to match bids for Walter, Rogers and Read. Brisbane essentially did the same thing this year by trading their first rounder to secure Dunkley while also accumulating later picks to match bids on father-son prospects Ashcroft and Fletcher.

pushintheback

All Australian
May 31, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
I reckon the go home factor at GC will become less and less every year, hence why I don't understand why GC would recruit an academy boy over a stronger prospect. TBH the only player that is safe to be drafted by GC IMO would be Walter. Rogers and Read are no certainty to be ahead of say Curtain, Archer Reid, Duursma etc...

Jun 24, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I reckon the go home factor at GC will become less and less every year, hence why I don't understand why GC would recruit an academy boy over a stronger prospect. TBH the only player that is safe to be drafted by GC IMO would be Walter. Rogers and Read are no certainty to be ahead of say Curtain, Archer Reid, Duursma etc...
But Gold Coast will get Rogers and Read for close to free, so why wouldn't they? Assuming Jed Walter holds his top 5 ranking for next year, Gold Coast should be a fair bit ahead of where his pick is. They'll take their three draftable talents, with the comfort that they won't have retention issues a nice addition to the fact they get them ahead of where their next pick is.

pushintheback

All Australian
May 31, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
But Gold Coast will get Rogers and Read for close to free, so why wouldn't they?
I disagree. At the moment there is much better talent than Rogers and Read. If GC just went with local or academy talent whats the point of GC having a national talent ID program. The only one that I think is a lock for GC is Walter. Its not a reflection of Rogers & Read talent, I just think there is stronger talent out there before their range. I cant see the GC giving up stronger talent just to keep 2 boys in state.

Jun 24, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I disagree. At the moment there is much better talent than Rogers and Read. If GC just went with local or academy talent whats the point of GC having a national talent ID program. The only one that I think is a lock for GC is Walter. Its not a reflection of Rogers & Read talent, I just think there is stronger talent out there before their range. I cant see the GC giving up stronger talent just to keep 2 boys in state.
I understand that, but do you really think they'll pass up the chance to draft them whe a good chunk of their picks will be going to a Walter bid?

For example, if they finish 9th next year, get the 10th pick, and Walter gets bid on at 2nd, that's there first two picks wiped out. At that point they're looking back into the back half of the draft, but if a big for Rogers comes in late in the first and Read late in the second you'de expect to take them, since they likely will have only 3rd/4ths left. If it comes down to the last few picks with no bids, then of course they prioritise talent, but in the state their in Gold Coast won't be passing up multiple shots with prospects they know for spec picks in the 40+ range.

pushintheback

All Australian
May 31, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
I understand that, but do you really think they'll pass up the chance to draft them whe a good chunk of their picks will be going to a Walter bid?

For example, if they finish 9th next year, get the 10th pick, and Walter gets bid on at 2nd, that's there first two picks wiped out. At that point they're looking back into the back half of the draft, but if a big for Rogers comes in late in the first and Read late in the second you'de expect to take them, since they likely will have only 3rd/4ths left. If it comes down to the last few picks with no bids, then of course they prioritise talent, but in the state their in Gold Coast won't be passing up multiple shots with prospects they know for spec picks in the 40+ range.
Below are the future picks. Through trading I reckon GC will end up with either another pick in rnd 1 or worse case another pick in rnd 2. At this stage i cant see the boys being late rnd 1 or rnd 2 but they could well improve to be at the range. 12 mths is a long time. I see both being 40+ at this stage as its a bloody strong draft. GC wont want to miss better talent just because they are apart of an academy. Just my opinion.

screen-shot-2022-10-12-at-21-01-39-png.1534742

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back