NO TROLLS Hawthorn Racism Review - Sensitive issues discussed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t use this thread as an opportunity to troll North or any other clubs, you’ll be removed from the discussion. Stick to the topic and please keep it civil and respectful to those involved. Keep personal arguements out of this thread.
Help moderators by not quoting obvious trolls and use the report button, please and thank you.

If you feel upset or need to talk you can call either Beyond Blue on 1300 22 4636 or Lifeline on 13 11 14 at any time.

- Crisis support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders 13YARN (13 92 76) 13YARN - Call 13 92 76 | 24 /7

This is a serious topic, please treat it as such.

Videos, statements etc in the OP here:

Link to Hawthorn Statement. - Link to ABC Sports article. - Leaked Report

Last edited:
The club commissioned a report BY an indigenous consultant Phil Egan. The report is an INTERNAL report collecting experiences from indigenous players over a 6 year period. Some of the content collected was of such a serious nature, the HFC referred to AFL Integrity, of which the AFL are now in the process of establishing an investigative panel.

Now your assertion is that if limited content (noting the whole internal report has not been released) were not released by the ABC then the public would be none the wiser and by extension these allegations would not be followed through.

Now, can you imagine Phil Egan NOT wanting for his indigenous community a thorough investigation of the allegations, be it from HFC, AFL or more than likely State/Federal Govt.

If it was not for Jackson no one would know or understand the depth of the abuse. AFL, HFC and coaches certainly were not going to tell us.

No, I am not discussing the report, I am discussing the article by Jackson . If it was not for him no one would know about this as those involved would not have discussed it.
What Egan wants has no impact on the AFL , HFC not wanting too disclose the facts of the matter.

In the case of many high profile abusers, whether it is domestic Violence, Sexual assault, child abuse, there are supporters who claim they only saw the good deeds done by the person, and the person was a good bloke and did so much for the community.
Most abusers only show that side to a select few and otherwise have an outstanding reputation so that when the allegations come more people side with them. Not the least bit surprising that Clarko has people coming out to bat for him

How will the AFL come to that decision?
Will Fagan also get suspended?

It's actually frightening how people instantly made up their minds about these two highly respected football people over allegations and opinion pieces by Caroline Wilson.

Trial by media is very much in play here.
They will come to that decision because of Clarkson and Co. , who through their position of power, 1/intervened to break up a family,2/ Got player to change simcard 2/while a partner was 7 weeks pregnant,3/ told player to tell partner to have an abortion and 4/that partner subsequently miscarriaged ,most probably due to stress at being unable to contact her partner.

Well, indigenous players could be walking out on the club or requesting trades right now couldn't they?

I'm not indifferent to the allegations. I think they are horrific and I believe those people.

Lol at "Stockholm Syndrome" too.

I note Dimma just came out in support of him though.
Could they? Or would they?

I feel as though you have missed the entire point of the review, that was to canvas in a safe environment their experience in the AFL system. And what emerged was the number of people who were traumatised by virtue of feeling themselves powerless in the environment. This was the whole point. “Unhappy indigenous players can walk out or request a trade” so entirely misses the point that I am totally floored that you have suggested it.

Clarkson is not highly respected. He's respected as a coach but he has a history king-hitting someone in a game, abusing people at a juniors game, punching walls and now this.
I think Fagan and Burt will get the same as Clarkson.
No one is perfect we all have flaws.
I feel you are being disingenuous.
Clarko from all reports was a great mentor and a good person.

If the allegations are proven and only then I will change my tune.
I'm not going to hang someone over he said she said driven by the media who only want clicks and don't care who they hurt.

They will come to that decision because of Clarkson and Co. , who through their position of power, 1/intervened to break up a family,2/ Got player to change simcard 2/while a partner was 7 weeks pregnant,3/ told player to tell partner to have an abortion and 4/that partner subsequently miscarriaged ,most probably due to stress at being unable to contact her partner.
All unproven allegations so far

People proving my point with every post that Jackson stuffed this from the get go by making it an adversarial thing with his shithouse reporting.
Jackson brought to light stories that the public need to hear, and I’m glad he did because if he hadn’t, history tells us that the AFL might at this moment be attempting an ‘optics’ solution involving payouts, non disclosure agreements and a bland public statement about ‘need to do better’. And nothing changes.

The fact that the potential future coach of the North Melbourne club has stood down does not make this “shithouse reporting”.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, I am not discussing the report, I am discussing the article by Jackson . If it was not for him no one would know about this as those involved would not have discussed it.
What Egan wants has no impact on the AFL , HFC not wanting too disclose the facts of the matter.
Of course the HFC and AFL didnt want the report to go public. No organisation in its right mind would put out a report which makes allegations of human rights abuses against individuals who havent been interviewed as part of the investigation or given any notice of or opportunity to respond to any of the allegations. Interesting though the report got leaked and Jackson tipped off to write his article. Wonder who did it (I think the answer is most likely contained within your post)

If you don't believe the 9 Indigenous people , maybe you believe the assistant coach. Either way you're clutching at straws to keep your coach so you can win games of football.
I thought it was 3 people
Alot of which seems to be the partner of one of the players.

It's hard to know what to make of the allegations when they are hidden in anonymity.
At the moment to me they are just claims/allegations yet to be proven.

All unproven allegations so far

I am sorry, but based on history, Clarko being a psycho control freak is more believable than a bunch of indigenous players, an assistant coach and Sam Mitchell coming together to conspire against him and Fagan

I am sorry, but based on history, Clarko being a psycho control freak is more believable than a bunch of indigenous players, an assistant coach and Sam Mitchell coming together to conspire against him and Fagan
Control freak? Possible
Racist? Not proven

Also Caro's article regarding Sam Mitchell was from his 2018 book Relentless that she then pretended was a new story.

Control freak? Possible
Racist? Not proven

Also Caro's article regarding Sam Mitchell was from his 2018 book Relentless that she then pretended was a new story.

Regardless of whether its old news or not, it doesn’t help his case at all.

I think he felt he ought to, almost obligated to. To cover his tracks. Heading off the inevitable “ why is hodge so quiet on this matter”
But seriously this is a white guy saying he didn't experience racism. His experience of them being good blokes does not mean indigenous players were not treated shamefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back