Past James Bell - delisted 2022

qJOoyoJJ.jpg

James Bell

Player Profile

QBE Sydney Swans Academy product James Bell was rewarded for shining NEAFL form when he was called up for his AFL debut against Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval in Round 21, 2019. The young Swan is one of Sydney’s quickest players, attacks the footy hard and can play on the inside of the midfield, on a wing or at half-forward. In a tribute to his family, Bell celebrated his first AFL goal with a striking Indigenous dance at the MCG in Round 22 last year.

James Bell

DOB:10 February 1999
DRAFT:2017
RECRUITED FROM: University of NSW-Eastern Suburbs (NSW)

Last edited:
He only spent 56% of the time on the ground the least of any Swan (besides Fox). Swans coaches didn’t think much of his running capacity.

disagree

he was running along the boundary and on and off the ground a lot

the hypnotoad

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Might I just say that the treatment young James has copped since his selection last Thursday is very unbloodslike.
We stand here all holier-than-thou and when crunch time comes we sh*t on one of our own… just like those lowly <insert most hated club here> supporters.

To father Jim and all the family, I am sorry you have been put thru this.

#istandwithjamesbell

glad i finally read this, well said and i stand with you
hard to believe posters vehemently condemning the social media sh1t the kid must've copped, while apparently okay with the foul personal crud posted on here ... fckng shameful ...

he's not depth out of contract see ya champ

yeah thought the same about clarke last year though, you never know is all and if there's nothing special to replace him and he is cheap.

Deccas

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Alway been surprised how many people love sticking the boot into young Bell. Works hard, seems popular with the lads. Bit of crossover with the 'clarko has been done wrong by the Media' crowd and a few hold outs from the 'jetta is soft as custard' group as well.

Last edited:
i just reckon some of his goals and pieces of play showed a bit of class , and with 5 -6 already gone , why wouldn't you hold him a year .

I've written too many of the players off in the past , lesson learnt for me. If club sees the effort and so on then they keep him , remember hearing how many times Shaun Hart almost got the chop- ended up with a norm smith

Dubai Quacker

Wily Old Campaigner
Aug 11, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
Alway been surprised how many people love sticking the boot into young Bell. Works hard, seems popular with the lads. Bit of crossover with the 'clarko has been done wrong by the Media' crowd and a few hold outs from the 'jetta is soft as custard' group as well.
I wouldn’t doubt his character nor commitment.

But after 5 years on the list, he’s never really looked quite AFL standard.

And it’s a pretty ruthless industry (unless you happen to be Naismith).

Deccas

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I wouldn’t doubt his character nor commitment.

But after 5 years on the list, he’s never really looked quite AFL standard.

And it’s a pretty ruthless industry (unless you happen to be Naismith).
Reckon he's had a couple of good games, definitely scored some good goals and had some pretty good moments. He's down the pecking order though and you're right players that haven't got spot after this amount of time rarely do. In fairness I think fox would have been in for a similar length of time before he really got a decent run.

But I am surprised by how much people enjoy sticking the boot in about his quality as a player. As far as I'm concerned they are all very good to get to the level they are at and deserve a level or respect above what they get whether they are good enough to play 250 or eke out 25. Still a Swan and has bled for the club a few times. Over a few years in the board you do notice trends too.

Caj

Premiership Player
Jul 23, 2004
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool

Are you honestly suggesting it’s a racist element? Wow

James might be the nicest and most enthusiastic guy on the Swans list, but blind Freddy can see he isn’t AFL standard, he’s an average to good VFL player at best.

There’s nothing wrong with that, from a personal viewpoint it’s an outstanding achievement and more than what most of us have managed, but it doesn’t exempt him from commentary on this board.

The hypocrisy on this board is breathtaking, the same holier than thou posters attacking other posters have quite enthusiastically sunk the boot into other less favoured swans, recent examples include Lewis Taylor, and Sam Gray

Deccas

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney

James might be the nicest and most enthusiastic guy on the Swans list, but blind Freddy can see he isn’t AFL standard, he’s an average to good VFL player at best.

There’s nothing wrong with that, from a personal viewpoint it’s an outstanding achievement and more than what most of us have managed, but it doesn’t exempt him from commentary on this board.

The hypocrisy on this board is breathtaking, the same holier than thou posters attacking other posters have quite enthusiastically sunk the boot into other less favoured swans, recent examples include Lewis Taylor, and Sam Gray
Heap of players aren't good enough for AFL and don't have nearly as many posts saying as much. When it comes from posters who also spent years calling Jetta a pea heart you notice this stuff.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC

Well said , it's gone too far on here .
I have nothing against the young man , he's a bloody good VFL player and has had so many chances at the top level and he's not good enough . I used to say the same thing about Jarrod Sunquist , but someone will take it in the wrong way , probably go so far as i have something against Swedes !

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
Heap of players aren't good enough for AFL and don't have nearly as many posts saying as much. When it comes from posters who also spent years calling Jetta a pea heart you notice this stuff.
So calling Jetta a pea heart is racist ffs , who said it anyway . I used to say he doesn't do enough at times , but bloody good player.

Back