Bluemour 'Silly Season' Edition XXXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigFrizz36

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 20, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
The point I was trying to make, which seems to fly over most peoples heads(not yours) is who could we possibly trade that has some value to other's(not Dow and Setters obviously) without leaving a gaping hole in the side?
Maybe a 3rd tall/ medium defender?
And the point that we are trying to make, which seems to fly over your head, is that our time is now. The club believes, rightly or wrongly, that we are in a position to challenge for a flag from next year.

If that is the case why would you look to take a best 18 player who has just had a very strong year and trade him for a draftee who is probably a late first/early second and will take at least 3 years to get to Kennedy's current output(if at all).

It just defies logic.

You're right, but what else is he gonna say anyway? Will be interesting to see if things develop. There's a little smoke there.

Personally I think we should have a go at bringing in both these players. Clearly we have identified them as potential and been in their ears so we should make a decent effort to bring them in.
List cloggers...
We have better talent in those positions, on our list already...

Oct 4, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Our problem isn't talent, it's mental. This playing group has a lot of mental scarring...

Nearly losing games from 40-50 points up. Fluffing up the last 5 mins 2 weeks in a row.

Not turning up to play when we need to...

We should be looking to bring in players/ people with recent premiership success to help steady them.

cookie monster

Premiership Player
Jun 12, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
NY Giants
Our problem isn't talent, it's mental. This playing group has a lot of mental scarring...

Nearly losing games from 40-50 points up. Fluffing up the last 5 mins 2 weeks in a row.

We should be looking to bring in players/ people with recent premiership success to help steady them.
Totally agree
For list balance purposes, a 30+ year old works for us too.

RoyalBlues

70 72 79 81 82 87 95 24
Oct 8, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
0173204B-F4B8-4897-81AF-F71CB89704B8.png

FB1DBD76-CAD0-4B77-96DB-E6B042EA4DA8.png

Jan 16, 2019
Kgari Coast Qld.
AFL Club
Carlton
And the point that we are trying to make, which seems to fly over your head, is that our time is now. The club believes, rightly or wrongly, that we are in a position to challenge for a flag from next year.

If that is the case why would you look to take a best 18 player who has just had a very strong year and trade him for a draftee who is probably a late first/early second and will take at least 3 years to get to Kennedy's current output(if at all).

It just defies logic.
Relax Tiger, we all know it's not going to happen.
It's just a conversation about team balance.

What is it with trading players just because they have currency.It’s just absurd…..here’s a question why not just keep the player that is finally showing his worth, now that’s a solution.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
It's Big Footy List Management..

mando-way-this-is-the-way.gif

Hands On

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
"We certainly expect those boys (McAsey and Sholl) to be at the football club next year," Reid said.
He is obviously trying to build up trade value. "poor mans DODORO"

WeedsMullet84

Cancelled
Oct 31, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Celtic, Glenelg
True, but he hasn`t played for two of those three years, so I don`t think that argument would carry much weight as their coach doesn`t seem too keen on him exactly.....

With Sholl there wouldn't be any issues in us covering some of his salary, we have quite a lot of cap space even with Rankine coming through. It's his speed and pressure around the ground that's the main issue for us. He has a huge workrate, and doesn't have a preferred foot, so i can see why some would think there's potential there to build on. I'd say a 3rd round with Crows chipping in a bit for his salary would do it.
With McAsey it's more about the fact that he's only got 1 year left on his contract, and instead of letting him go for a bag of chips this year (as a former Pick 6), we might as well hold onto him and and put him down back in the SANFL now that Frampton has gone to the Pies. I'd imagine he's in delist/bag of chips territory next year if he doesn't switch it on. If it's not something like a 2nd rounder i just don't see us trading him out. Your lot seem to be pretty patient with KPD's, so might see the value of giving him some more time to develop.

4flagsin5yrs

Premiership Player
Dec 30, 2020
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
With Sholl there wouldn't be any issues in us covering some of his salary, we have quite a lot of cap space even with Rankine coming through. It's his speed and pressure around the ground that's the main issue for us. He has a huge workrate, and doesn't have a preferred foot, so i can see why some would think there's potential there to build on. I'd say a 3rd round with Crows chipping in a bit for his salary would do it.
With McAsey it's more about the fact that he's only got 1 year left on his contract, and instead of letting him go for a bag of chips this year (as a former Pick 6), we might as well hold onto him and and put him down back in the SANFL now that Frampton has gone to the Pies. I'd imagine he's in delist/bag of chips territory next year if he doesn't switch it on. If it's not something like a 2nd rounder i just don't see us trading him out. Your lot seem to be pretty patient with KPD's, so might see the value of giving him some more time to develop.

Both 4th round trades, at best.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
For 4th round picks you're better off heading to the draft and selecting relative unknowns

Sholl would be worth a late 2nd - mid 3rd, IMHO

McAsey, really hasn't done much at all, so I would actually go to the draft for talls as even through the 3rd, 4th rounds there are some genuine prospects with decent upside

BrisbaneCFC

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
The point I was trying to make, which seems to fly over most peoples heads(not yours) is who could we possibly trade that has some value to other's(not Dow and Setters obviously) without leaving a gaping hole in the side?
Maybe a 3rd tall/ medium defender?

TDK. Easy enough to find another number two Ruckman for very little.

EDIT: I do understand its not going to happen. Just responding to the question asked before everyone loses their marbles over that suggestion :laughing:

Last edited:

WeedsMullet84

Cancelled
Oct 31, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Celtic, Glenelg
Sholl would be worth a late 2nd - mid 3rd, IMHO

McAsey, really hasn't done much at all, so I would actually go to the draft for talls as even through the 3rd, 4th rounds there are some genuine prospects with decent upside

Agree regarding Sholl, although i still think Crows would come to the party with his wages.

And McAsey? Yeah precisely my point, he's currently worth a bag of chips based on current output (although we know KPD's are slow to develop, sometimes very slow) so we might as well just hold onto him. I don't see his trade worth being any different this year to next (if he continues to underperform), which is next to nothing.

Apr 4, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
TDK. Easy enough to find another number two Ruckman for very little.

EDIT: I do understand its not going to happen. Just responding to the question asked before everyone loses their marbles over that suggestion :laughing:
next minute he is taking speckies over our defenders heads...and kicking accurately.

Im not seeing him just as a ruck...he is a ruck, forward and helps out in defence when needed.

HaydossJ

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton

and that's an issue because half the game is in between the ears. I'm sure the club is across it, but I hope we're investing in top quality sports psychologists

Blue Viking

Team Captain
Apr 20, 2017
Sydney
AFL Club
Carlton

100% spot on, mate I could not agree with you more.

BlueTongue

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2009
The Void
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
TEAM 17 (Flags)

100% This.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back