Mega Thread 2022/23 Off-Season Sports Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Fixed. Miller was gun, but he underachieved with the bat at test level. If Green hits 100% of his potential, he'll go into the conversation with Bradman as the greatest cricketer. No pressure. Never seen a bloke who had ATG batting talent and world class bowling talent.

I just wish he had a sexier bowling action.
I remember watching Green in his debut Shield season thinking we’d found the next great bowler as he took poles for fun. Then he got injured and started making runs for fun as well. When you add in his gully fielding then it’s just a truly generational package

I remember watching Green in his debut Shield season thinking we’d found the next great bowler as he took poles for fun. Then he got injured and started making runs for fun as well. When you add in his gully fielding then it’s just a truly generational package
Injury is the only issue. It took away Watson's bowling potency (he wasn't as talented but still could have been very good).

Can't wait for the tests this summer.

no one deserves to be that good of a bat, that good of a bowler, that good of a fielder, and that tall. just unfair to the rest of us

no one deserves to be that good of a bat, that good of a bowler, that good of a fielder, and that tall. just unfair to the rest of us
If his bowling action was like Wasim, Waqar, Bond, Anderson or Ambrose he'd literally be the exact player I wanted to be when I was 16. So jealous.

Would be even better if he spent some time in the gym ;)
No! Gym killed Watto, can't let it happen to Green.

If his bowling action was like Wasim, Waqar, Bond, Anderson or Ambrose he'd literally be the exact player I wanted to be when I was 16. So jealous.

Watto?

the phantom menace GIF by Star Wars

Yeah Robot was bit "too much weights, not enough speed work" haha.

Jokes aside watching him last night it did make me wonder what resistance exercises elite cricketers do, I reckon just doing lighter weights is very beneficial to your overall fitness.

He looks different to what I remember, but yes, that's the guy.
Yeah Robot was bit "too much weights, not enough speed work" haha.

Jokes aside watching him last night it did make me wonder what resistance exercises elite cricketers do, I reckon just doing lighter weights is very beneficial to your overall fitness.
Watto was a weird unit overall.

No idea, wasn't good enough to get coached like they do. I would say that timing is everything in cricket and you don't need (huge) strength for that. Green is so big that he needs even less than most. There is a reason all the gun tall bowlers (Ambrose, McGrath etc) were lean I think.

People hate on Watto because he ended up being an average Test player batting out of position as an opener that made stupid lbw referrals.

But he was an absolute gun short form player.

edit - can't remember who it was, maybe Haddin but the said before injury as a young bloke he was actually fearsomely quick as a bowler.

People hate on Watto because he ended up being an average Test player batting out of position as an opener that made stupid lbw referrals.

I love Watto. He was also genuine class as a test player for about 3 years. If it wasn't for his choke in the 80s and 90s, could have made 15 test hundreds and the perception changes a lot. Averaged (I think) mid/high 40s with the bat and mid 20s with the ball during that period. That's world class.

You are right about white ball stuff. In the conversation for Australia's all time ODI team at the very least. Probably T20 as well but I don't watch a lot of those.

Finally, he is undoubtable an ATG (possibly the GOAT) at the bad review. I'm surprised he didn't review when he got bowled.

edit - can't remember who it was, maybe Haddin but the said before injury as a young bloke he was actually fearsomely quick as a bowler.
Watto is appreciated more since he retired.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love Watto. He was also genuine class as a test player for about 3 years. If it wasn't for his choke in the 80s and 90s, could have made 15 test hundreds and the perception changes a lot. Averaged (I think) mid/high 40s with the bat and mid 20s with the ball during that period. That's world class.

You are right about white ball stuff. In the conversation for Australia's all time ODI team at the very least. Probably T20 as well but I don't watch a lot of those.

Finally, he is undoubtable an ATG (possibly the GOAT) at the bad review. I'm surprised he didn't review when he got bowled.
Should have never ever opened in Test matches and been down at 6.

Best commentary on Watto was by Bumble over in England, along the lines of -

"Look I don't know the bloke.. but I bet that he just LOVES batting against the bowling machine, just sitting there all day smashing balls straight back through the V"

Absolute gold.

Should have never ever opened in Test matches and been down at 6.

Best commentary on Watto was by Bumble over in England, along the lines of -

"Look I don't know the bloke.. but I bet that he just LOVES batting against the bowling machine, just sitting there all day smashing balls straight back through the V"

Absolute gold.
His best work was as an opener in both test and ODIs. His problem was the front pad and whilst opening exposes it more, quality bowlers will exploit that wherever you bat.

Stats in test, clearly did the best at 1 or 3.

1662950386631.png

Also, who doesn't love smashing the bowling machine?

Would be even better if he spent some time in the gym ;)

I was involved with the WACA for a bit when he was 18/19. Fair to say he wasn't a great fan of the S&C stuff back then. He may have matured in his outlook since though.

The other Warriors boys were calling it that he'd play for Australia from the minute he came on the scene though.

A lot of injury prevention work, a lot of core strengthening, a lot of complex movement competency stuff (especially for the bowlers), not so much of your traditional bodybuilding hypertrophy, as you'd expect.

just saw the 22yo Munetaka Murakami hit his 54th and 55th home runs of the season, equalling the heralded and historic record of the great Sadaharu Oh.

there are 15 games left for him to reel in the all time reord of 60.

the guy is a phenomenon. he is the fastest ever to both 100 and 150 career home runs. last month he hit home runs in 5 consecutive at bats (across 2 games).

he is on track for league mvp and a batting triple crown.

Twenty minutes in this NRL grand final looking almost as one sided as the AFL one

I wouldn't call it s**t. I wouldn't want my sons playing it, but it's good to watch at this level. No seagulls or fake tough men, Patrick Cripps would last five seconds out there

I do find it weird though they don't seem to want to have a team over in Perth again, I would have thought it would be pretty well supported.

I think they are more interested in getting one of the Sydney clubs to move rather than starting from scratch.

22-0 talk about shitting the bed.

Cowboys would have been better?

Yeah it's pretty ordinary..

I do find it weird though they don't seem to want to have a team over in Perth again, I would have thought it would be pretty well supported.

id rather bang my nuts between two bricks than watch it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back