List Mgmt. 2022 GWS GIANTS List Management (Trade/ Free Agency/ Draft/ Academy)

Remove this Banner Ad

Central to the deal will be Richmond parting with picks 12 and 19 in the exchange, which could include the movement of other later picks.

Richmond and the Giants agreed to separate the two deals for Taranto and Jacob Hopper, who has also requested a trade to Richmond. As Taranto is out of contract and Hopper contracted, it was considered easier and cleaner to separate the deals.

The likely sum of the deals to move both players to the Tigers will be that Richmond give up 12, 19 and 30 in this year’s draft and their first-round pick next year, which is popularly considered to be a stronger draft than this year. There will probably be some movement of other, later picks involved in the final deals and potentially a Richmond player moving to the Giants.

About what we were expecting, 2 firsts and 2 seconds plus maybe some later picks and potentially a player

In other likely early movement, Giants small forward Bobby Hill will move to Collingwood in a trade of their future second-round pick, with another pick coming back to Collingwood this year.

Can't imagine the pick going back to them is of much significance
That all sounds pretty reasonable to me. Bruhn might be the sticky one, I think Geelong may try to play hardball there as they have a lot on the go.

We really need to get their 1st rounder next year. Perhaps if we give back one of the extra 2nd’s next year it might work but could go down to the wire.

I know it sounds bad but if we don’t get a pick of 18-20 for him (either this year or next) I’d send him to the PSD and cop the loss.

He can go to North as after only 2 years service we don’t owe him any favours and by nominating that team he has done nothing to help our cause.

That all sounds pretty reasonable to me. Bruhn might be the sticky one, I think Geelong may try to play hardball there as they have a lot on the go.

We really need to get their 1st rounder next year. Perhaps if we give back one of the extra 2nd’s next year it might work but could go down t on wire.

I know it sounds bad but if we don’t get a pick of 18-20 for him I’d send him to the PSD and cop it. He can go to North as after only 2 years service we don’t owe him any favours.
Seen a few journos say they think the future first is going to be sent to us for Bruhn, so hopefully that's how it ends up

Seen a few journos say they think the future first is going to be sent to us for Bruhn, so hopefully that's how it ends up it’s very early. They are better to deal with then say Essendon, Freo or St Kilda and generally pragmatic but the Jezza deal was very close to falling over.

I just think we go in strong and say high teens pick or tell him to try his luck in the PSD.

Essendon has a massive amount of salary cap space so he can’t price himself out and put something on his head. Most likely ends up rotting at North if they chance their hand.

We need to make a stand here and let clubs know we aren’t a soft touch.

We really need to get their 1st rounder next year. Perhaps if we give back one of the extra 2nd’s next year it might work but could go down to the wire.

I know it sounds bad but if we don’t get a pick of 18-20 for him (either this year or next) I’d send him to the PSD and cop the loss.

He can go to North as after only 2 years service we don’t owe him any favours and by nominating that team he has done nothing to help our cause.
Absolutely correct

Geelongs 2nd rounders are virtually nothing picks for GWS this year and you guys dont owe them any favours
Their pick #18 will become 20/21 possibly with Ashcroft,Fletcher & possibly Davey being selected in a soft draft

2023 1st rounder is what GWS should demand and at worst take 2022 1st round pick

I just think we go in strong and say high teens pick or tell him to try his luck in the PSD.

Essendon has a massive amount of salary cap space so he can’t price himself out and put something on his head. Most likely ends up rotting at North if they chance their hand.

We need to make a stand here and let clubs know we aren’t a soft touch.
Why go PSD then you don't get anything back in a trade and we've pissed a top 15 pick away for nothing, try to get as much as we can and whatever that ends up being we'll take

Why go PSD then you don't get anything back in a trade and we've pissed a top 15 pick away for nothing, try to get as much as we can and whatever that ends up being we'll take
Because with the additional selections we are getting for Taranto and Hopper we have some leverage as we can’t take too many picks anyway due to list spots and the fact some of the picks are largely irrelevant.

In saying this, if an additional 2nd assists us in moving one of our picks up as part of a package or to gain a player that’s targeted then I’m ok with it, but otherwise I’d rather we hold our ground then take chump change.

We also need future draftees and managers to take us seriously and realise that if they are less than honest during the drafting process it could not only cost them 2 years but also autonomy to choose beyond that time.

We cannot have a development club loser attitude, we need to stand for something and sometimes losing a battle will win a war.

Because with the additional selections we are getting for Taranto and Hopper we have some leverage as we can’t take too many picks anyway due to list spots and the fact some of the picks are largely irrelevant.

I’m saying this, if an addition 2nd assists us in moving one of our picks up as part of a package then I’m ok with it but otherwise I’d rather we hold our ground then take chump change.

We also need future draftees and managers to take us seriously and realise that if they are less than honest during the drafting process it could not only cost them 2 years but also autonomy to choose beyond that time.

We cannot have a development club loser attitude, we need to stand for something and sometimes losing a battle will win a war.
So you'd rather get nothing for Bruhn then say Geelong's future first? That's ridiculous, check your ego at the door and get the best deal possible.

So you'd rather get nothing for Bruhn then say Geelong's future first? That's ridiculous, check your ego at the door and get the best deal possible.
Hendo,
Read what I said, if Geelong are not prepared to give a 1st round pick this year or next and are trying to get this kid for a 2nd or worse I do not think we should accept it. If they are prepared to pay the price for a required player that was a pick 12 and now has 2 years and 30 games of development in him then I’m happy for the club to take that deal.

Have you been on the beers?

We're going to have 3 (ours), 12 (Richmond - Taranto), 19 (Richmond - Taranto), 21 (ours), 30 (Richmond - Hopper), 40 (ours), and 43 (? Collingwood - Hill). Adding 37 (Geelong's second round pick) for Bruhn is basically meaningless.

Probably best we can get for TT, not sure we should be a giving a pick back, maybe if we have excess selections at the end of the week we can do a goodwill trade. I think the McStay compo pick will be a big factor in determining Hopper's value. If AFL give Bris an end of first, which would smell a lot like the Ablett/Suns compo deal, Richmond's future first will need plenty of sweetener.

I've also mentioned this before, but we really need to find a 'Chol' success like the Suns did last year; can we successfully find and use a mature KPF from another team or league. Cadman et al will be first year, Riccardi hasn't killed it at VFL level over the years, Derksen is an unknown and most importantly Hogan has issues playing a whole season. Playing HH back or front might be the robbing Peter to pay Paul syndrome. I mused about recruiting his Crows brother, which raised opinions on the latter's ability; though the point I was really trying to make was one of how do we entice someone to come over and stay. Perhaps knowledgeable posters could come up with a realistic list of KPF's who might be able to be recruited with the promise of a 'senior' opening/opportunity and low draft spot/s cost to the club.
What the GC did in recruiting CHOL into their team was put their salary cap over the edge and now they are losing talent & picks off their list to accomodate. I honestly think if the Giants are playing a Richmond / Collingwood type brand we will be fine with KPF and make do

OK, just in ...

North Melbourne has been informed by Jason Horne-Francis’ management that he will seek a trade to a South Australian club during the upcoming Trade Period.

This may change the likely Roos' #1 pick. You'd think that it increases the chances they'll take Wardlaw, or perhaps Tsatas given this (presumed) loss.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK, just in ...

North Melbourne has been informed by Jason Horne-Francis’ management that he will seek a trade to a South Australian club during the upcoming Trade Period.

This may change the likely Roos' #1 pick. You'd think that it increases the chances they'll take Wardlaw, or perhaps Tsatas given this (presumed) loss.
Cadman Caravan is BACK ON BABY

OK, just in ...

That Horne-Francis is a low class bogan c***

This sport has way too much leverage for players. They really should even things up and unless the Players Association play ball then give teams the power to cut them and trade them wherever.

This little spoilt brat has held his club to ransom, he can go and get stuffed.

Probably good news for us.

This feels like a bit of a turning point for the AFL and the drafting system and initial contracts.
The more noise we make about it...the better.
There is just too much player power at the moment.
I agree that this is a very good reason not to draft Sheezel as I believe he 'doth protest too much' when talking about being happy to move interstate.

Surely Wardlaw will now be higher on North's board. It's probably that dastardly Eagles pick that could be out undoing if we want Cadman. I think we might end up getting him though

Probably best we can get for TT, not sure we should be a giving a pick back, maybe if we have excess selections at the end of the week we can do a goodwill trade. I think the McStay compo pick will be a big factor in determining Hopper's value. If AFL give Bris an end of first, which would smell a lot like the Ablett/Suns compo deal, Richmond's future first will need plenty of sweetener.
There will be literally nothing left apart from F1+#30

Thats probably what the deal will be with 2 junk picks back

after pick 30 it really doesnt matter what the pick is as it becomes more about the quality of your recruiters and their ability to fill a need
Richmond has in the past done brilliantly with picks late and most of our team are either 30+ picks or Rookies

There will be literally nothing left apart from F1+#30

Thats probably what the deal will be with 2 junk picks back

after pick 30 it really doesnt matter what the pick is as it becomes more about the quality of your recruiters and their ability to fill a need
Richmond has in the past done brilliantly with picks late and most of our team are either 30+ picks or Rookies
My guess is that if that's all that can be offered...we will be holding him to his contract. Maybe not what you wanna hear but I think that we are playing long game here and our cap issues can be absolved at the end of next year too before Green and Callaghan need to re-sign.
Hopper is worth more than that.
no Soldo or junk players. He's a champ.

My guess is that if that's all that can be offered...we will be holding him to his contract. Maybe not what you wanna hear but I think that we are playing long game here and our cap issues can be absolved at the end of next year too before Green and Callaghan need to re-sign.
Hopper is worth more than that.
no Soldo or junk players. He's a champ.
Personally I’m ok with those two selections for Hopper. I think they will be very good next year but let’s say for argument sake it’s Pick 14, that’s a valuable asset in what is shaping as a very good draft.

If you consider we’ll probably be average again next year so let’s say we get Pick 7 and if we somehow are able to wrangle Geelong’s 1st which will be 16-18 all of a sudden prior to trading we will have a very good hand.

Then when Finn leaves we get another 1st rounder (I joke….maybe…nah I joke 😬😅) and we have 4 1st rounders in a potential super draft.

Personally I’m ok with those two selections for Hopper. I think they will be very good next year but let’s say for argument sake it’s Pick 14, that’s a valuable asset in what is shaping as a very good draft.

If you consider we’ll probably be average again next year so let’s say we get Pick 7 and if we somehow are able to wrangle Geelong’s 1st which will be 16-18 all of a sudden prior to trading we will have a very good hand.

Then when Finn leaves we get another 1st rounder (I joke….maybe…nah I joke 😬😅) and we have 4 1st rounders in a potential super draft.
Don't.

Not Finn.

Don't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back