Bluemour 'Silly Season' Edition XXXIV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our problem isn't talent, it's mental. This playing group has a lot of mental scarring...

Nearly losing games from 40-50 points up. Fluffing up the last 5 mins 2 weeks in a row.

Not turning up to play when we need to...

We should be looking to bring in players/ people with recent premiership success to help steady them.
our problem isnt talent, nor is it mental, its lack of experience.

We will be better next year, even if we dont add anyone

next minute he is taking speckies over our defenders heads...and kicking accurately.

Im not seeing him just as a ruck...he is a ruck, forward and helps out in defence when needed.

I dont think he's even one of those things at this point. Let alone two or three of them. Its not going to happen as I said, I was just answering the question the poster posed.

TDK. Easy enough to find another number two Ruckman for very little.

EDIT: I do understand its not going to happen. Just responding to the question asked before everyone loses their marbles over that suggestion :laughing:
Yeah, Nah. Drafting a decent Ruckman is an art. Not only because they take a long time to develop body-wise, but draftees are very hard to to forecast because they are so different depending on bodytype.

TDK will be a gun when he is fitter and stronger. He already has the agility.

I think that's pretty close to accurate. I think our next step comes from within and some of our what our current best 22 players are, being dropped back to the two's. I'm talking the likes of your JSOS, Fisher, Martin types being replaced in the best 22. Thats where our Premiership push comes from IMO.
Martin is best 22 any day of the week. Watch him play and its obvious he is one of the smartest footballers out there.

His injuries, which I appreciate may be as much due to lack of preparation as they are "bad luck", is what is holding him back the most.

Martin is best 22 any day of the week. Watch him play and its obvious he is one of the smartest footballers out there.

His injuries, which I appreciate may be as much due to lack of preparation as they are "bad luck", is what is holding him back the most.
Yes he's very frustrating because when he turns it on he is elite.
I feel he could easily be top 5 in the comp if he got his body right, but I'm unsure if the motivation is there.

Yeah, Nah. Drafting a decent Ruckman is an art. Not only because they take a long time to develop body-wise, but draftees are very hard to to forecast because they are so different depending on bodytype.

TDK will be a gun when he is fitter and stronger. He already has the agility.
Certainly has potential, but to be an AFL ready 1st Ruckman Tom needs at least another 2 seasons. Meanwhile keep our fingers crossed Pitto regains his fitness and form for 2023.

I think the players I mentioned, plus another couple, aren't in our best 22 when we win a premiership. They might be on the list, but not in the best 22 IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes he's very frustrating because when he turns it on he is elite.
I feel he could easily be top 5 in the comp if he got his body right, but I'm unsure if the motivation is there.
Perhaps I over value it too much, but ive seen on so many occasions Martin move the ball on to one of our player's advantage with out actually taking possession of the ball, and also draws an opposition player in the process.

Not that Martin is near his level, but I recall Mclure making the same comment about Doull -low possession player but all the knock ons and tap ons to advantage that gave space to team mates to create play.

Not flashy but such a skill.

TDK. Easy enough to find another number two Ruckman for very little.

EDIT: I do understand its not going to happen. Just responding to the question asked before everyone loses their marbles over that suggestion :laughing:

Not sure about this, maybe even less popular than the Kennedy hypothetical proposal, he'd have some value though.
Trading any of our valuable slowish big bodied mids is seemingly too sensitive an issue here, despite having more than we need.
How about we replace the names with our other area of excess...Gov, Marchy, JSOS and Kemp?
All of them too good for VFL.

If we are trading TDK, the offer would need to be massive overs, can't see him being traded

Next year, I think TDK cements himself as the number 1 ruck/forward
Mid season Matt Kennedy said “he’s not very fit the young fella” or words to that effect. He missed 3 months of the preseason. Let’s hope he has a massive preseason.

Needs to improve his ruck win percentage as last I checked it was very poor.

Keep seeing this mental weakness s**t, but always slanted in one direction

Clarkson had no flag success as a player before coaching 4 flags

Hodge and Birchall couldn't drag the Lions to a flag

A number of premiership players couldn't drag Saints into the finals

All about the talent and readiness of a side

Last edited:

Hodge and Birchall could drag the Lions to a flag

All about the talent and readiness of a side and good fortune.

Mid season Matt Kennedy said “he’s not very fit the young fella” or words to that effect. He missed 3 months of the preseason. Let’s hope he has a massive preseason.

Needs to improve his ruck win percentage as last I checked it was very poor.

Taps to advantage are overrated, given it combines two players to benefit a ruckmans stats, moreso what a ruckman does around the ground and or forward

Last edited:
It will all come together for Setters very soon. I’d be so disappointed to lose him. We almost made the same mistake with Kennedy who like Setters just needs continuity with injury and a defined role in the side.
Am personally pretty stunned that the way he finished his year (on Oliver and De Goey, then crushing the finals in vfl) didn’t convince them he has good value as a tagging midfielder who also finds the ball. Seemed to clean up his fumbling this year. Lifted his intensity big time from about 1/3 through the year. His kicking lacks ‘punch’ but that’s about the only concern.

Really hope he stays.

Hodge and Birchall could drag the Lions to a flag

All about the talent and readiness of a side
OMG this again...

Carlton lacks experience in how to and probably also lacks enough kick mark ability to run down the clock over a couple of minutes late in quarters and games - this will be a focus no doubt in pre-season. Melbourne and Collingwodo games should both have been massive against the odds wins - despite all the outs.

Docherty and Weitering should have structured defensive positions mucbh much better and forward line needs to be smart enough to know how to lock teh ball in by creating contests and spillages to see game through - not enough defensive awareness when it matters the most.

Experience is the missing ingredient not mental weakness - a term which means nothing and no 'sports' psychologist can fix in a team anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back