List Mgmt. 2022 GWS GIANTS List Management (Trade/ Free Agency/ Draft/ Academy)

Remove this Banner Ad

I know, I absolutely love him and would find that abhorrent.

I’ve not heard anything about him being unhappy so he’s probably just focusing on getting his foot right but if he doesn’t do it by mid next year then….🥹
He seems like a much more happy go lucky type compared to Bruhn. I think he will be staying. I don't think we would be moving on Taranto, Hopper and Bruhn if we weren't confident Green and Callaghan we're staying.
That's why we need to sort out salary cap right....?

RIGHT!?

My guess is that if that's all that can be offered...we will be holding him to his contract. Maybe not what you wanna hear but I think that we are playing long game here and our cap issues can be absolved at the end of next year too before Green and Callaghan need to re-sign.
Hopper is worth more than that.
no Soldo or junk players. He's a champ.
I think its easy for us supporters to say we just hold him but clubs think differently and are more conclusive to players needs and wants , It also has negative implications with team make up going foward when a player checks out and specially with a new coach.

Player managers have a massive say in things and these things get done, Similar to when Caldwell left
both sides did alot of huffing and puffing but it got done and you dont have to win every trade and clubs do let players go for unders specially a player like Hopper who has given great service for a long period of time. I dont believe Giants would hold him back for a pick that might be 10 spots beter

Lets see how things end up

This comp is trash at the moment the premiers can bring in henry,bruhn and bowes and receive pick 7 in the draft what a joke. They are allowed to restructure bowes deal to fit him in this is laughable. They win the comp in a canter yet they just have all this cap space because everyone plays for unders. Yeah right lol

We are told to believe that and also our cap is stuffed please stop pissing on my leg

We have a powerhouse of the game plucking two players from us we have a number 1 pick dumping his team to head home it is beyond reasonable to expect people to put money into a system that the afl seem happy with.

This is not equalization at all it is a fraud and if nothing changes our club will never prosper.

I struggle to get excited with all these picks as we know we struggle to hold onto our players. Has Finn signed an extension? nope not even any talk of it.

The afl have a problem on their hands the problem is I doubt they care.

As midnight oil said "The rich get richer, the poor get the picture"

I think its easy for us supporters to say we just hold him but clubs think differently and are more conclusive to players needs and wants , It also has negative implications with team make up going foward when a player checks out and specially with a new coach.

Player managers have a massive say in things and these things get done, Similar to when Caldwell left
both sides did alot of huffing and puffing but it got done and you dont have to win every trade and clubs do let players go for unders specially a player like Hopper who has given great service for a long period of time. I dont believe Giants would hold him back for a pick that might be 10 spots beter

Lets see how things end up
My understanding is that Hopper was told to explore his options. I understand where you are coming from...we won't win every trade. But I don't feel like that trade package is even close to a fair representation of his value. GWS has been staunch on these things before.

I also don't think the Tigers are a hard club to deal with...there just might be some more maneuvering for you to get your man.

Personally I’m ok with those two selections for Hopper. I think they will be very good next year but let’s say for argument sake it’s Pick 14, that’s a valuable asset in what is shaping as a very good draft.

If you consider we’ll probably be average again next year so let’s say we get Pick 7 and if we somehow are able to wrangle Geelong’s 1st which will be 16-18 all of a sudden prior to trading we will have a very good hand.

Then when Finn leaves we get another 1st rounder (I joke….maybe…nah I joke 😬😅) and we have 4 1st rounders in a potential super draft.
Finn ain't leaving. I have a good feeling about him.

Hi everyone, pardon the intrusion. Currently working on a little project for the main board and I was hoping to grab the names of any ITK posters here on the Giants board. Cheers.

What the GC did in recruiting CHOL into their team was put their salary cap over the edge and now they are losing talent & picks off their list to accomodate. I honestly think if the Giants are playing a Richmond / Collingwood type brand we will be fine with KPF and make do
Thanks for your thoughts.

The probable new playing style or brand that you mention is a good point in as much as we may not need additional ‘power’ KPF’s but more mobile type tall marking options (as I read you). The general descriptions of Cadman seem to indicate he is both (in the Jeremy Cameron mode) and perhaps that is why he generates such support amongst pundits.

I would contend careful recruiting does not necessarily mean GWS would have to break the salary-cap with a Chol-type scenario, judicious selection would be required if such a player could be found and signed up. Possibly in that scenario it was interesting (or even co-incidental) that Jon Ralph wrote this in the newspapers this morning:

“WILL GEELONG FINISH THE TRADE PERIOD CLOSE TO UNTOUCHABLE?

The Cats are every chance to end up with three players in the top 10 of the 2020 national draft in Tanner Bruhn (pick 12), Ollie Henry (pick 17) and Max Holmes (pick 20), but first they have to play their cards right. Only using picks 18 and 37 in the national draft there is no way they can broker deals for a pair of first-round draftees who have arguably improved their stocks since then. It’s why securing pick 7 for Jack Bowes in the Gold Coast salary dump looms as the centrepiece of their plans ....

Andrew Mackie’s utopia is easy to plot. Get Bowes, ask him to spread that salary over three years, easily fit it under the cap after the retirements of Luke Dahlhaus, Shaun Higgins and Joel Selwood (paid around $1.1 million in total) and use picks 7, 18 and 37 to seal the deals for Bruhn and Henry.

If Esava Ratugolea leaves – and Port Adelaide and GWS are keen – the Cats would even have the picks to draft another key-position tall given Ratugolea is worth a second-rounder.

But if Bowes goes elsewhere if makes everything harder.

Would the Pies accept 18 for Henry? And the Giants 37 and Ratugolea for Bruhn?”

Hi everyone, pardon the intrusion. Currently working on a little project for the main board and I was hoping to grab the names of any ITK posters here on the Giants board. Cheers.
No, no-one's claimed to be ITK with GWS on this board. If someone is, and hasn't outed themselves, I suggest they'll continue to stay quiet ... or can PM you if they do want some main board glory.

I'm presuming that is this year's #40 for either #43, #48 or #49. Which I'd guess will then be used for either Bedford (although a touch too much IMHO, but that's GWS), or as a return to Richmond in the Taranto trade (again, too much back to them IMHO).

The future second is a great deal for us though, especially bolstering our hand in what is shaping as a very good draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong has shut down any talk of tall Esava Ratugolea moving to Port Adelaide after he struggled to win an AFL spot in 2022. Ratugolea played just four senior games in 2022, but the Cats insist he's a required player. "We love Esava. He's had some conversations, such is the AFL world, but he's contracted and we love him," Cats list manager Andrew Mackie said.

Presumably no Port move = no GWS move ... if you believe Club List Managers!

Geelong has shut down any talk of tall Esava Ratugolea moving to Port Adelaide after he struggled to win an AFL spot in 2022. Ratugolea played just four senior games in 2022, but the Cats insist he's a required player. "We love Esava. He's had some conversations, such is the AFL world, but he's contracted and we love him," Cats list manager Andrew Mackie said.

Presumably no Port move = no GWS move ... if you believe Club List Managers!
"He's a required player" + "he's contracted" + "we love him" = he's so very highly rated that with pick 37 that's more than enough to get the Bruhn deal done if GWS are only reasonable:rolleyes:

The Hill trade is pretty good for us. Effectively a future second, and we can deathride Collingwood next year.

They've also been left to say it's a decent deal for them, they'll want to say it's effectively valued at a third-round pick.

Win-win to start 2022 trade period!

Happy that we didn't give anything back in the Taranto trade - that's about as good as we could expect. On one hand, I'm unhappy to lose TT, but on the other hand, I understand that we have too many one-paced inside midfielders with disposal issues, and this addresses that (as long as we don't just draft a similar player.)

Bedford next; I guess that pick from Pies might be involved again. Possibly with a later pick (in the 60s) back? That would still provide points to help match a bid on Harry Rowston, if he's in our sights.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back