End The Sheedy Medal. Time for a Change?

Name change?

• Yes

Votes: 15 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • other name- put it in the replies.

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It definitely has to be re-named. Sheedy allowed himself to be associated with the club for marketing purposes. We may as well call it the Folau Medal.

I would call it the Greater Western Sydney Medal. We haven't produced anyone that worthy just yet.
Probably should have done that in the first place. As the Suns just left theirs unnamed.

I just doubt there will be any appetite to take his name off the medal now. We might not like it, and I hope it is renamed at some point.

Probably should have done that in the first place. As the Suns just left theirs unnamed.

I just doubt there will be any appetite to take his name off the medal now. We might not like it, and I hope it is renamed at some point.
Probably better to change it sooner and with Sheedy’s blessing. Will be a tougher PR exercise to do it after he loses what’s left of his marbles, or dies.
The current lot would probably change it to the Shepherd Matthews Trophy if given the chance.

I like the idea of changing it but if and when we do I think it should be named after a player that plays his entire career with the club, its got to be Toby. He's our best player, he is an inaugural player and he never played anywhere else. Wait until he retires and then make it his.

Sheedy is an arrogant self-serving buffoon. He cost us Choc which probably cost us a flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the idea of changing it but if and when we do I think it should be named after a player that plays his entire career with the club, its got to be Toby. He's our best player, he is an inaugural player and he never played anywhere else. Wait until he retires and then make it his.

Sheedy is an arrogant self-serving buffoon. He cost us Choc which probably cost us a flag.
Agree and love Tobes but a Best and Fairest named after the TFG? The guy is in trouble as often as he isn’t.
just think that’s more Wards wheelhouse.
Hell maybe even Cogs.

Agree and love Tobes but a Best and Fairest named after the TFG? The guy is in trouble as often as he isn’t.
just think that’s more Wards wheelhouse.
Hell maybe even Cogs.
Does it have to be fairest 😆

Hey Libba won a Brownlow!!

I love both your suggestions, just thinking it’s the ultimate and maybe a one club guy is more special! Presuming he stays that way!!

Does it have to be fairest 😆

Hey Libba won a Brownlow!!

I love both your suggestions, just thinking it’s the ultimate and maybe a one club guy is more special! Presuming he stays that way!!
If we lose players like Cogs, TFG, Kelly Haynes etc then the supposed “culture” we have is ****ed.

Think now he has healed Cogs has gotten back to his best.
Looking forward to next year on the field for all our players.

I do not understand why you guys called it the Sheedy Medal to begin with. So silly. It was an ambassadorial coaching role. He didn't achieve anything meaningful. His legacy was hanging around a year too long and pissing off his prospective successor, just like his previous job.

Should've just called it the Best & Fairest Award until you had some champions worthy of being honored. By now, Callan Ward or Toby Greene should be no-brainer candidates.

I do not understand why you guys called it the Sheedy Medal to begin with. So silly. It was an ambassadorial coaching role. He didn't achieve anything meaningful. His legacy was hanging around a year too long and pissing off his prospective successor, just like his previous job.

Should've just called it the Best & Fairest Award until you had some champions worthy of being honored. By now, Callan Ward or Toby Greene should be no-brainer candidates.
100%

He ran back to Essendon when he got the shot as well.

All for the Wardy

Whilst Sheedy was our inaugural coach, he was only with us for two years and cost us Mark Williams. I would so have loved to have Mark Williams coach us and take over from Sheedy as was originally planned - I think we would have won a premiership by now.

Sheedy has always been an Essendon man, and I think either renaming it after Toby our GOAT when he retires or simply calling it our Best and Fairest award

FWIW I'm not as convinced about Mark Williams as others - if he would've been ultimately a great coach, there's been dozens of vacancies since then and he's been selected for none.

It was always a potential issue in waiting

I think naming it Ward-Davis in a few years is a great call - two fantastic long term players (for a player's medal) and leaders mostly associated with the club.

BUT

Sheeds is 90%+ of the reason we were taken seriously and why we've made six finals series in our 12 years of existence.

He knew what a professional football club looked like and how to build one, having had decade upon decade of experience, from the top down. He ensured we had a proper off-field set-up, from medical to training regimes and more. He had the runs on the board to get buy in from the playing list, rather than everyone pulling in their own direction because they figured they're a bigger draw than the coach.

Without him, we could well be the Suns or worse.

Yeah, he comes out with some truly embarrassing s**t these days but anyone discarding what he did for the club is trying to whitewash history or only bothered paying attention to us well after those early years were done. I lived them, I was in the room when he was talking to a few dozen people at Rooty Hill and at pre-game events before a game when only a few thousand showed up, I remember.

Back