How the AFL lost the battle for Sydney

Deadly Assassin

Senior List
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Shocking proof the Swans and GWS have failed to attract fans.

Hoops

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 30, 2004
Forever in contention
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Vixens
Daily Mail?
Walking Glancing GIF

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
The AFL is right in the battle for inner west and inner Northern Sydney, where support might be 80/20 RL/AFL. But they have made little progress in Western Sydney and probably never will. It would still be 99% RL there.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

AustraliaIIKA6

Draftee
Oct 3, 2022
AFL Club
Sydney
It’s far far to soon to discuss the impact GWS are making in Sydney . The fact that exist at all is astonishing. The Swans have been Sydney for 40 years and have had to endure some lean lean times . The VFL/AFL did the Swans no favours in it’s first 10 years . GWS remind me of the Winston Churchill quote ‘ It’s not the end. It’s not even the beginning of the the end . It is perhaps the end of the beginning’ Give it 15 years or so .

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
The giants have a bigger footprint than what they’re given credit for

Yep, compare them to the smaller NRL clubs or the entire A League and they're doing just fine... Half the problem is people like to compare their crowds to Collingwood/Richmond ect when those clubs had over 100 years to grow support... Giants are fine, and will continue to grow slowly. They won't be a good size for another 15-20 years... but that was always the AFL's plan, no one with a brain ever expected this to be an instant success.

Last edited:

MVille Swan

Senior List
Aug 13, 2016
Inner West
AFL Club
Sydney
The NRL has embraced 20 somethings big time with cheaper ticket prices and an almost rock concert atmosphere
at games. Swans supporters in Sydney are almost exclusively an Anglo crowd largely from the Eastern and Inner West
suburbs. GWS supporters are mostly from the West and there are 1,500 or so footy tragic Swans fans who also go to
GWS games because one game a fortnight is not enough footy. NRL crowds are a bit more multi-cultural and probably
reflect the demographic makeup of Sydney a bit better.

It’s far far to soon to discuss the impact GWS are making in Sydney . The fact that exist at all is astonishing. The Swans have been Sydney for 40 years and have had to endure some lean lean times . The VFL/AFL did the Swans no favours in it’s first 10 years . GWS remind me of the Winston Churchill quote ‘ It’s not the end. It’s not even the beginning of the the end . It is perhaps the end of the beginning’ Give it 15 years or so .

Those who say that GC and GWS have failed have a very simplistic view of things. Those two teams are investments over decades, not years. Like you said, having a team in Western Sydney is an achievement in itself.

Apr 17, 2006
???
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins(NFL)
AFLs issue with Western Sydney is that the nrl won't play ball.
Compare the giants in nsw with the storm in Melbourne
The AFL actively cross promotes the sport, often having clubs work with the storm.

You're lucky in nsw if the nrl ever acknowledge the afl though

Jun 18, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
15 years is about right. Most hard-core fans of any sport or team grow up with that sport or team, so you're targeting school kids. A 12 year old in 2011 is 23 now. A young adult with other interests. Give it another ten years and they'll start having kids. 15 and their kids start school themselves. It's that second generation that will start to solidify the Giants.

Fire

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 12, 2003
New York
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This is just oppinion and not very through out one at that.

Ratings for the GF were average. Not bad, just average. For a terrible game. At a terrible time. From that, everything was extrapolated.

The record broadcast deal was hand waved away. No discussion of participation. Or crowds. Or analysis of what 'success' for the AFL should look like. What were the AFL's goals in coming to Sydney? Have they fallen short? Who knows.

I kept reading that article waiting for the meat to come, but then it just ended and I am embarrassed for clicking on it.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
The AFL is right in the battle for inner west and inner Northern Sydney, where supoort might be 20/80 RL/AFL. But they have made little progress in Western Sydney and probably never will. It would still be 99% RL there.
You mean 80/20 RL/AFL?

Also agree AFL has made zero progress in WS.

I'd move GWS to Canberra. GWS is a white elephant and classic example of "Concord fallacy".

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

i remember early 90s swans were a complete basket case. People have short memories. People said the exact same thing about the swans as they are saying about GWS.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
You mean 80/20 RL/AFL?

I'd move GWS to Canberra. GWS is a white elephant and classic example of "Concord fallacy".

check out Hotelling's law. Part of the reason the AFL have the teams in NSW is also to take away potential fans from the NRL which reduces their ability to push into Victoria.

i'm sure you felt clever using the phrase concord fallacy though when sunk cost would do :thumbsu:

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
You mean 80/20 RL/AFL?

Yep. 80/20. Never heard of the Concord Fallacy. So, in other words - 'don't throw good money after bad' or 'cut your losses'? GWS has no hope of ever growing with the current set up. Anyone east of Homebush follows the Swans and anyone west will always follow RL.

Back