Essendon
The fans just made it harder for United to get a spot in the nsd

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
Football Australia on the front foot but no indication of any punishment for now.

'No place in our game’: Football Australia criticises fans for Nazi salutes​

Vince Rugari

Football Australia has criticised what it said was a “very small minority of fans” who were caught performing what appeared to be Nazi salutes and engaging in other anti-social behaviour during Saturday night’s Australia Cup final at CommBank Stadium.

A near-record crowd of over 16,000 people saw Macarthur FC win 2-0 over Sydney United 58, a former National Soccer League powerhouse who were making history as the first non-A-League team to reach the final of the knockout tournament.

One of the country’s most storied football clubs, former players like Socceroos coach Graham Arnold, Tony Popovic, Marko Rudan and Mark Bosnich were on hand to watch them face the Bulls, the raging hot favourites who had only a tiny portion of the crowd in their favour.
In addition, United - founded by Croatian immigrants in 1958 - had the extra support of thousands of interstate travellers who are in Sydney for the long-running annual Australian-Croatian Soccer Tournament, which is being hosted by the club at Edensor Park.
It unsurprisingly led to an incendiary atmosphere. The pre-match Welcome to Country was marred by booing and chanting that drowned out Erin Wilkins’ address and continued during the national anthem, while scenes were later sullied when several fans were caught on Network Ten’s cameras with their right arms raised in what appeared to be Nazi salutes, prompting others on social media to voice their disgust.
A section of fans from United, formerly known as Sydney Croatia, sang “Za Dom Spremni” (for homeland - ready) - a chant used by the far right Ustase movement in the 1930s and 1940s.
Football Australia condemned those responsible but stressed that the majority of fans on Saturday night were well-behaved.
A NSW Police spokesperson said no arrests were made. FA said eight people were evicted.
“One of Football Australia’s core values is being inclusive and diverse,” a Football Australia spokesperson said.

“Our strength as a sport is our diversity. We celebrate that football is embedded in the nation’s social fabric and it follows the diverse story of Australia.
“In saying that, Football Australia acknowledges that a very small minority of attendees engaged in behaviour that is not consistent with Football Australia’s values and wider community expectations.
“Football Australia took steps during the match to address these isolated behaviours, including eight evictions. Football Australia will continue to gather information from the venue, clubs, and authorities on this matter, as anti-social behaviour has no place in our game.”
United made grand finals in 1988, 1997 and 1999 in the old NSL, which was replaced by the A-League and was deliberately filled with new franchises instead of ethnic-backed teams in a bid to appeal to mainstream Australia.

These days, they play in the semi-professional NSW NPL, but their miracle run in the Australia Cup has put them on a true national stage for the first time in almost two decades.

Tiger08

Premiership Player
Nov 14, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
i think we have to be careful doing Welcome to Countries too often or there's a danger of heading down an ugly Adam Goodes scenario.

I literally had 4 Welcome to Countries during relatively minor work sessions last week and 2 more at small sports event this weekend. I don't really know where they came from but I like the sentiment and intentions. Unfortunately it's like certain churches overdoing prayers or the same good song being played to death.. even the most supportive will ultimately get sick of it and resent it.

None of this is to excuse these people's behaviour of course.. it just worries me how often I hear it, how the masses will start to react and my kids now even roll their eyes because seemingly every day at school they do it once or even more apparently.

The National Anthem has never been played as often as we do Welcome to Countries. They should be for special occasions (like last night btw), not a work meeting.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
i think we have to be careful doing Welcome to Countries too often or there's a danger of heading down an ugly Adam Goodes scenario.

I literally had 4 Welcome to Countries during relatively minor work sessions last week and 2 more at small sports event this weekend. I don't really know where they came from but I like the sentiment and intentions. Unfortunately it's like certain churches overdoing prayers or the same good song being played to death.. even the most supportive will ultimately get sick of it and resent it.

None of this is to excuse these people's behaviour of course.. it just worries me how often I hear it, how the masses will start to react and my kids now even roll their eyes because seemingly every day at school they do it once or even more apparently.

The National Anthem has never been played as often as we do Welcome to Countries. They should be for special occasions (like last night btw), not a work meeting.

* off to the SRP board. No one here cares about your nonsensical rant - you don’t even understand the sentiment or intentions cos you’re too lazy and too privileged by the status quo to bother learning.

Awakening

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2021
AFL Club
West Coast
Embarrassing and gross.

They weren't booted from the premises?

Other teams fans should literally turn their backs to these racist morons.

Tiger08

Premiership Player
Nov 14, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
* off to the SRP board. No one here cares about your nonsensical rant - you don’t even understand the sentiment or intentions cos you’re too lazy and too privileged by the status quo to bother learning.
Yeah yeah. Ha ha. Very funny. We don't need the trolling here thanks. Were you one of those booing last night? You may mock people who take these thing seriously but they have a place too.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
This is a nice touch and story By Macarthur and Davilla

Macarthur FC dedicate Australia Cup trophy to grieving captain Davila​

Vince Rugari

October 1, 2022 — 9.55pm

Macarthur FC have dedicated their Australia Cup triumph to their grieving skipper Ulises Davila, who won the Mark Viduka Medal for best afield in Saturday night’s final just four months after the sudden death of his wife - and then gave it straight to the club as a gesture of appreciation.

Davila changed out of his own jersey to wear one with his late wife Lily Pacheco’s name on the back as the Bulls celebrated their 2-0 win over Sydney United 58, ending the former National Soccer League side’s historic run to the final.

The 31-year-old was named the Viduka Medal winner after an imperious performance in attacking midfield, winning the first and then scoring the second of the two penalties the Bulls scored at a heaving CommBank Stadium. But immediately after receiving it during the post-match ceremony, Davila handed it to Macarthur chairman Gino Marra, and insisted the club keep it as a gift.
He later explained he would have retired were it not for their support four months ago, when Lily passed away suddenly while their family, including their young son, were home in Mexico during the off-season. The Bulls immediately sent several members of their coaching staff to assist Davila and his family with whatever they needed.
“It’s been very hard times, but what I received from this team, from the gaffer, from the board, I cannot be more grateful,” he said.
“They’ve been amazing. I just tried to give something back to the club. That’s why I say [the reason I decided to keep playing] was because of this group, all these people around – they make me feel like I have a family here.
“Maybe if it was in another team, or I didn’t feel that, I wouldn’t come back. That’s why I’m very grateful. They just take care of me and my family.”
Teammate Al Hassan Toure was holding back tears when he spoke post-match about how they were motivated to win for Davila.
“I think our captain needed it, with everything going on in his life. I think this is more for him and his
family. He has been going through a hard time - this is just for him,” Toure said on Network 10.
Daniel Arzani, another one of Macarthur’s best on the night, said Davila told the team the final had a “special meaning” for him.

“He kind of mentioned to us before the game, in the pre-match talk, that this game had a special meaning for him. All the boys got a little bit emotional,” he said. “Personally, I got goosebumps because he’s such an incredible guy ... he never lets it come to the surface. To know that it meant so much for him and that we could do that for him, it was a really special feeling.”
As expected, Sydney United had the vast majority of support among the 16,416-strong crowd at CommBank Stadium – the second-biggest for a final in the tournament’s short history.
Thousands of the most hardcore fans packed into the northern end to provide a raucous, intimidatory atmosphere that, at times, threatened to boil over. At the other end, roughly 100 Macarthur fans attempted in vain to provide some sort of vocal response.
On the pitch, the Croatian-backed side gave as much as they could, but more than a month on from their last league outing in the NSW NPL, it was inevitable that Macarthur’s superior fitness and skill would shine through – and so it proved.
Arzani led the charge for the Bulls from the outset, earning a nasty spray from former Sydney FC striker Chris Payne after being clearly fouled in the opening minute.
Arzani is preparing to use the opening rounds of the A-League Men, which begins next weekend, to mount a case for Socceroos selection.
Four years since starring for the Socceroos at the 2018 World Cup in Russia, Arzani’s career has clearly not gone to plan.
The talent that once had Australia buzzing is still there, now matched with a level of maturity and fitness that wasn’t previously – and national team coach Graham Arnold, a former United player, was there to watch it first-hand.
The 23-year-old delivered the corner that almost gave Macarthur the lead 13 minutes in, when Jonathan Aspropotamitis’ deflected header was saved by United’s goalkeeper Danijel Nizic, but they didn’t have to wait much longer for the breakthrough.
Just after the half-hour mark, Anthony Tomelic brought down the lively Davila in the box, prompting referee Daniel Elder to point straight to the spot.
Toure, who starred for Adelaide United in the final when they won the then-FFA Cup in 2019, had to fight off Davila and Arzani for the right to take the resultant penalty, but stood over the ball with confidence and dispatched it into the back of the net – then strode straight towards Sydney United’s hostile support, put his hands around his ears and taunted them.
That made Toure, like Arzani, a target for boos for the remainder of the match, but neither player – nor any of the Bulls – allowed the treatment to get under their skin.

“I’m used to getting a bit of sticking out from the opposition fans. It’s no problem. If anything, I like it - it gets me going,” Toure said.

The Bulls had plenty of chances to extend their advantage, but were invariably foiled by Nizic, the woodwork – in the case of attempts by Lachie Rose and substitute Anthony Carter – or by their own hand, like when Tomislav Uskok’s second-half header went wide.

Their failure to finish off United, who twice came from behind in their wins over Western and Brisbane, meant there was always a chance the underdogs could come back late. But when Cristian Gonzalez fouled Craig Noone in Macarthur’s box in the dying minutes, that was that – Davila stepped up, took the penalty, and got the celebrations started early.

Galaxie77

Team Captain
Sep 18, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Spezia Calcio.

Crap like this is why the A League had to be created, and probably the reason why we can't have a 2nd division

Had to be created? come on.
The cro's might be a bit too much. but good on them for standing up.

Why should everything be anglicised.... A league is epl tryhard lite. more plastic than a tupperware party.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Im not.
I am pointing out thats its good that they are bringing to attention the plight of theirs and other wog clubs.
By being Nazis?

They aren’t bringing any attention to a plight other than showing their true beliefs as a club and fan base. Hell the club itself went after people complaining about it during their cup run.

All they are doing is proving the FFA right back in the day when they said no to them joining the A-League.

Considering they were also part of the demise of the NSL, the boxes aren’t being ticked for them.

Amused you call the A-League clubs plastic though. They have almost 20 years history now. Hardly fake or plastic. Certainly better than a history of supporting Facist Nazis.

Galaxie77

Team Captain
Sep 18, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Spezia Calcio.
By being Nazis?

They aren’t bringing any attention to a plight other than showing their true beliefs as a club and fan base. Hell the club itself went after people complaining about it during their cup run.

All they are doing is proving the FFA right back in the day when they said no to them joining the A-League.

Considering they were also part of the demise of the NSL, the boxes aren’t being ticked for them.

At least the old clubs had culture. instead of the generic plastic bs there is now.

we know the cro's and their colour by numbers made up culture is bs.
Hell we are supoosed to worship the English here, they have done a lot of bad stuff too.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
At least the old clubs had culture. instead of the generic plastic bs there is now.

Hell we are supoosed to worship the English here, they have done a lot of bad stuff too.
Being facist isn’t culture.

So you are defending Nazis. Glad you are being honest now.

Galaxie77

Team Captain
Sep 18, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Spezia Calcio.

No i simply want to see the A league destroyed
Being facist isn’t culture.

So you are defending Nazis. Glad you are being honest now.

So every club that was in the old NSL was fascist was it?
nope.

Galaxie77

Team Captain
Sep 18, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Spezia Calcio.
Still with the “what about” instead of condemning.

NSL bitters destroyed the national comp then and they still blame everyone else.
so because some bogans started following the epl its the wogs fault.... typical.
Condemn the Brits...

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
The Sydney United statement today made me want to vomit, blaming individuals, saying they're not welcome, saying they'll seek them out.

Their fans have been doing this for decades. Sydney United and Melbourne United were the biggest culprits in creating such a stench around the "effnic teams" in the 90s. Far right nationalist behaviour as far back as the 1980s allowed media to constantly criticise football, it meant the NSL was always likely to be a lame duck, and its why the "no ethnic clubs" rule was established for the A-League (until they bent it for Brisbane cos they were the "right" ethnicity.)

This has been going on long enough, and their supporter base is small enough that there's absolutely no way that Sydney United don't know who these people are. I refuse to accept that anyone who was in Sydney over the weekend for the Australian-Croatian football tournament would've been bold enough to turn up at the Australia Cup final and start tossing up nazi salutes - you do that when you know the club and you know there are no repercussions for it.

Munga

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 2, 2003
AFL Club
St Kilda
No i simply want to see the A league destroyed

Geez man. You don't have to watch it, follow it, or even acknowledge it. But wishing for something like that to be destroyed, that's next level psychosis. Nazi's like destroying things too.

so because some bogans started following the epl its the wogs fault.... typical.
Condemn the Brits...

You need counseling man, seek help. Seriously, your path isn't healthy.

Back