News Andrew Thorburn is retaining legal counsel for wrongful termination by the Essendon Football Club. NOW WITH BIG BANGS

Remove this Banner Ad

Does he stop holding those beliefs?

I mean, if you are black and your boss treats you fairly, but outside of work he attends Klan rallies, do you only worry about how he treats you?

id suggest the comparison with the KKK, to whose entire existence is built upon bigotry is not a good comparison to Church, which whilst has bigoted elements, it is not its main purpose.

it would be much more stark for someone in the KKK to disagree with believes, than somoene in the church....

I think even terming it “pro life” is really disingenuous. Pro life would mean that the same people who want to ban abortion should be all for the government and their tax dollars supporting that life from there out. Given how Australia specially acts towards “dole bludgers” I’m yet to see evidence that that is the case. Remember that actually being able to afford the child is important.

A more realistic term would be “pro forced birth”. Because once that baby actually comes out, all the ban-abortion folk seem to stop caring about it really quickly. I think with this more accurate title you can see why people would be offended.

That is a tremendous generalisation and a very unfair one

Because this church wants rape victims to be forced to not have an abortion.
Plus no one has the right to tell a women what to do with her own body. It's called liberty.

That’s not liberty. That’s called life.

When I got my wife pregnant I don’t want to have all the control over what decisions came next but I sure as hell wasn’t going to let other people make every decision about my son just because I wasn’t myself born with the necessary tools to carry him from conception

Impossible to do.

Not a member of his or anyone's church am I.

I'd say neither are any of us here so maybe he is and maybe he isn't making change happen.

Maybe it's at a more individual level than a group one.

You run a large football platform. Go ask him for an interview.
I am sure, as a commercial organisation masquerading as a church, they have marketing out there.

If not, Thorburn hasn't done his actual job.

Good sign, no?

They still seem to think homosexuality is a sin:

At the very least, Thorburn will take money from anyone with any belief system.

If he doesn't follow the views of the church he ran, he is just another corporate mercenary. His claims to religiosity are worth less than nothing.

That is a tremendous generalisation and a very unfair one
If you are against abortion under any circumstances, you are a forced-birther.

You can use other words for it, but it doesn't make the forced-birther label any less true.

Something new to be outraged about!

Celebrate We The Best GIF by Booksmart
No AFL club has any morals or ethics LoL.

This makes Ross Lyon look like a harmless bloke LoL

Because you are stripping women of bodily autonomy. How can you be oblivious to that?

As opposed to stripping men of their procreative autonomy by giving them 0 say?

No I’m not talking about rape here I think it’s a separate moral sphere.

I am talking about the idea that two consenting adults take the necessary steps to create a life: men can’t carry a baby. They don’t get a say in that. It doesn’t make them any less the child’s parent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's how it is, unfortunately. It's not in your body.

I am talking about the idea that two consenting adults take the necessary steps to create a life: men can’t carry a baby. They don’t get a say in that.
That's life.

It doesn’t make them any less the child’s parent.
Nobody said it does.

I am sure, as a commercial organisation masquerading as a church, they have marketing out there.

If not, Thorburn hasn't done his actual job.

Good sign, no?

They still seem to think homosexuality is a sin:

At the very least, Thorburn will take money from anyone with any belief system.

If he doesn't follow the views of the church he ran, he is just another corporate mercenary. His claims to religiosity are worth less than nothing.

So he should be very good for the commercial side of the club then knowing how to drain every cent out of the faithful.

They still seem to think homosexuality is a sin
It clearly is under the tenets of the religion. You can say it’s immoral to hold that position but to act like it isn’t a sin is to give away the religion entirely.

I know they don’t follow other stupid rules like wearing garments of two seperate materials and sacrifice pigeons every time they are on their period; but the push should be for consistency of modern perspective rather than to deny the exist of the sin in accordance with the book.

No I’m not talking about rape here I think it’s a separate moral sphere.

I am talking about the idea that two consenting adults take the necessary steps to create a life: men can’t carry a baby. They don’t get a say in that. It doesn’t make them any less the child’s parent.

As someone who is in favour of men being able to have a paper abortion, I don't think the two are analogous.

Dunno if posted already but apparently the Essendon membership hotlines have been "bombarded" with bombers supporters calling for his axing.

This is only going to get worse it seems.

Wonder how many of these will cancel their membership and for how long if and when he isn't sacked and Essendon make the 8......

On CPH2005 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Umm.. what? The CEO of an organisation must be held to a higher standard than other people as they are in a position of power and leadership.

Wouldn't he have been held to that standard at NAB?

I'd suggest an organisation like that would potentially have even higher standards than a football club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back