Traded Ben Long - Traded to Gold Coast with future 4th for 32

Remove this Banner Ad

Why? Both involve 4 year deals on good coin for a player who isnt likely to be best 22. Its poor list management imo.
It’s hard we just don’t get guys walking into our club wanting to just win/come home

It’s hard we just don’t get guys walking into our club wanting to just win/come home
This ^ which is why Suns have overpaid for players that don't quite deserve the $'s or picks etc required.

Long can actually play a bit, just needs to cool his head at times.

This ^ which is why Suns have overpaid for players that don't quite deserve the $'s or picks etc required.

Long can actually play a bit, just needs to cool his head at times.
I guess if we don’t offer more then no one would ever come. All the northern states have the issue.

Maybe banning the gold coast from trading could be part of the AFL's assistance package. They need someone to save them from themselves.

Lyons, Brodie, Greenwood, Wright and probably Fiorini soon given up for free/salary dumps. I guess they have to make room for these reserves half back flankers on 4-5 year deals somehow.

Maybe banning the gold coast from trading could be part of the AFL's assistance package. They need someone to save them from themselves.

Lyons, Brodie, Greenwood, Wright and probably Fiorini soon given up for free/salary dumps. I guess they have to make room for these reserves half back flankers on 4-5 year deals somehow.
Giving away greenwood was a master-stroke

Can't blame him for chasing a much bigger contract than what is on offer at St Kilda, and you can't blame St Kilda for not wanting to overpay a depth utility. Long is capable of playing some decent games occasionally but he's never put more than 2 together consecutively. His skills are okay, he's quite athletic and he's very tough but he goes missing for large patches of games, or even entire games. Has never been able to consistently find enough of the footy to cement his spot in the 22.

You either play him forward and accept that he's probably not going to hit the scoreboard but will provide some fairly high level pressure, or you play him in defence and accept that he probably won't get much of the ball but could have a few nice intercept possessions. Once or twice a year he'll play a blinder but his median game is ordinary.
What do you see as fair value?

GC have picks 25, 31, 34 & 43.

Would have thought somewhere between picks 34 & 43... probably closer to 43.

At face value, pick 43 seems right and what it will likely be

But given they've given him a 4 year deal and they are unlikely to use all their picks, I'd be trying to get pick 34 or seeing if there was a swap that could occur to get a better pick.

At face value, pick 43 seems right and what it will likely be

But given they've given him a 4 year deal and they are unlikely to use all their picks, I'd be trying to get pick 34 or seeing if there was a swap that could occur to get a better pick.

He worth p 25 if he’s contracted. Cause he’s uncontracted we could swap a future second for their future third fourth and 34.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Why do the suns keep recruiting overpaid journeymen trades who wont be best 22 for them?

I dunno, had some good luck with journeymen like Nick Holman

North and Clakro were very keen on him too, so he is not as bad as young think..

Gives their young kids some toughness and protection as an enforcer type
It's an okay move from the Suns imo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Um, Greenwood was delisted and promised to be Re-Rookied but North jumped in and signed him as a DFA (and he is probably just list clogger there quite frankly) and it was the right call to get Wright and his massive contract off their books.

Realistically 43 is about right. We may try to involve some pick swaps to get one of their earlier picks though. Maybe we give them Long and a third rounder and ask for 25 or 31.

Gold Coast have academy kids coming through next year. They have too many draft picks this year, so they’ll want future picks rather than trade them. Saints future 4th could bump whatever pick they’re looking for.

Last edited:
Jordan Murdoch and Rory Atkins the two most baffling. At least us Cats fans understand why they picked up George Horlin-Smith 3 years ago even if he’s already gone. In fact for the Suns, I understood that recruitment more than Murdoch.
Suns were rock bottom with above C grade wanting to come when Murdoch, GHS, Hombsch, Miles, C. Ellis all came to provide senior body support. All did not cost much at all but there was literally no other options.

Atkins is easily the worst contract the suns have given out and it will be hard to beat. No one was even after him and he managed to get 4 years. Decent winger on his day who can't even get a gig when we have no wingers.

Suns and Saints disputing what 2nd rounder will get used on him apparently

Saints wanting 25, Suns offering 36

36 is more than fair. Id have thought 43 would be the most likely tbh.

Would happily give up a future 3rd to get that 25 though

Suns and Saints disputing what 2nd rounder will get used on him apparently

Saints wanting 25, Suns offering 36

36 is more than fair. Id have thought 43 would be the most likely tbh.

Would happily give up a future 3rd to get that 25 though
Suns just traded both 25 and 36.

What do they have left to give us?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back