Traded Luke Jackson [Traded with #44 and #67 to Fremantle for #13, F1 and F2]

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Grundy will play as the #1 ruck with Gawn turning into the defacto FF that the Dees seem to be missing.

Not sure gawn is a good forward but anyway.

It’s about best either team could do. I’ve always maintained Jackson will be a gun. I think a better ruck long term than Darcy.
Of course given this talent we wanted a top 10 pick involved. But when there’s only one realistic option for a club to play at it’s hard with where Freo sat.
Getting the additional 2nd rounder helps and we’d be hoping Freo take a step back next year.
IMO Freo win this trade as it stands. But there’s a watch on their ladder position next year and of course what we do with the picks.

Going off of how many people either team got screwed, this will be one of the more interesting trades to judge over the years.

It's an expensive trade for Freo but worth rolling the dice IMO. If you are backing Freo in to be on the upswing of their development cycle then they won't have access to a Jackson level talent through the draft as they won't have top ten picks. Trade might sting a bit if Freo take a step back to step forward and miss the finals next year.

It's an expensive trade for Freo but worth rolling the dice IMO. If you are backing Freo in to be on the upswing of their development cycle then they won't have access to a Jackson level talent through the draft as they won't have top ten picks. Trade might sting a bit if Freo take a step back to step forward and miss the finals next year.
Again... I still have that bad after taste from the last time Freo traded heavily for a WA tall forward from the demons.

Pick 13, dockers 2023 1st and North's 2023 2nd is a bit much.

That's potentially pick 13, pick 8 and pick 20 to the demons for a 21 year old

Again... I still have that bad after taste from the last time Freo traded heavily for a WA tall forward from the demons.

Its Fremantle 2023 2nd round.

I wasn't keen on this trade. I wasn't keen on paying this much for him.

Demons won this trade

"This much" probably works out to be a 3rd rounder over what would have effectively been an absolute steal!

I was a little tepid about it due to some of the suggested trades, but this is as close to the floor as we could get to bring Jackson in!

He's gonna be a gun, if he helps you to your first flag, it'll be a steal.

And if it was 13, 18, 36?

It’s about best either team could do. I’ve always maintained Jackson will be a gun. I think a better ruck long term than Darcy.
Of course given this talent we wanted a top 10 pick involved. But when there’s only one realistic option for a club to play at it’s hard with where Freo sat.
Getting the additional 2nd rounder helps and we’d be hoping Freo take a step back next year.
IMO Freo win this trade as it stands. But there’s a watch on their ladder position next year and of course what we do with the picks.

If only you Dees fans thought this way for the past 3 months, this thread would only have six or seven pages!

Let's be honest, what are the statistical probability of The Dees drafting a player as good/potential to be better than Jackson with any of the picks they got from Freo ?

Less than 5 % percent i would say

You have to give up quality to get quality.
I would honestly much rather Jackson at Carlton myself than the picks you got from Melbourne.

Draft Picks are no sure bets (esp futures)

All those picks plus 800k+ a year

That’s why big trades are so hit and miss

No one ever factors the massive chunk of salary cap into the equation

(Log in to remove this ad.)

44 and 67 should even out the f2 if we finish high

So it basically ends up being our 2 firsts like we all thought from halfway through the year when we knew we were making finals

Great deal for Freo. Late first rounders just aren't that valuable. Hence the need to tip in more, and they didn't even have to fully pay more. Come draft night some team will over a future 3rd for 44 if it's not used anyway. Watch recruiters change their mind on the depth of a draft once they get a player in front of them.

Ok deal for Melbourne. The big problem is we can't find anyway at this stage to take 13 and a future 2nd for a top 10 pick. Most years someone would. Port have pick 8 tied up with North/WC. Pick 7 is off to Geelong.

Melbourne need to move now to bring in a really high level talent given our window but we might have to wait a year which is unfortunate.

It might take 3-5 years but eventually Jackson should become a Blicavs level midfielder who can ruck, play wing, play CHB, tag the oppositions best players and run forward on them too. That's an incredible weapon. He only needs to be a B grade player in terms of skills and production to be worth an A+ wage because of how much better that makes your team.

Opposition have 2 gun key forwards or are super dangerous on quick counter attacks
- Darcy or Jackson sit in hole

Opposition have a gun big bodied mid:
- Jackson tags him

Opposition have gun half back interceptors:
- Jackson pushes forward and creates a marking contest away from the interceptors

This trade will ruin Fremantle if it hasn't already.

Luke Jackson has done nothing to deserve a contract anywhere near the reported salary or number of years. He will never live up to this deal.

Meanwhile Fremantle lowballs its existing players to conserve cap space, loses several best 22 players as a result, and they've mortgaged their draft future in the process.

Statistically Luke Jackson as a ruckman is a massive downgrade on Sean Darcy.

Better hope he can play FF and kick 40 snags next year otherwise you can stick a fork in Freo for a decade o_O
Doom and gloom all round eh? Look I know bringing in Judd didn't really get Carlton cooking, but it doesn't mean that all high value trades are terrible.

A few things to point out though I feel:

1) Jackson is a ruck-mid hybrid, that has already shown he can very successfully operate with another high quality ruck.
2) The deal will undoubtedly be lower than reported. He may not live up to it, that's the chance that you take. On exposed form and potential, it's not a massive gamble.
3) We didn't lowball anyone. Acres was in fact offered potentially more than his Carlton deal, he just had to earn it, and Logue's reported contract at North is ludicrous. We were also lining up Gus Brayshaw, so pretty sure the cap is fine, including being able to sign Serong etc, moving forward.
4) We've smashed the draft and trade period for a few years now (only one down year I think) and have the best U24 nucleus in the league. Need to add proven talent ergo draft picks have relatively low value to us as actual draft picks. Hardly mortgaging the future by using two teens picks and downgrading a future second (our worst one also).
5) I actually think he'll snag a few, but do you know who really is quite handy up front and a great set shot? Sean Darcy. If only we had a ruck to play whilst he rested i50.

TLDR: Freo will be fine and in contention, maybe even for the next decade. Probably against your mob (and I reckon you'd be wanting to upgrade Pittonet) - looking forward to duking it out.

Lo
Great deal for Freo. Late first rounders just aren't that valuable. Hence the need to tip in more, and they didn't even have to fully pay more. Come draft night some team will over a future 3rd for 44 if it's not used anyway. Watch recruiters change their mind on the depth of a draft once they get a player in front of them.

Ok deal for Melbourne. The big problem is we can't find anyway at this stage to take 13 and a future 2nd for a top 10 pick. Most years someone would. Port have pick 8 tied up with North/WC. Pick 7 is off to Geelong.

Melbourne need to move now to bring in a really high level talent given our window but we might have to wait a year which is unfortunate.

It might take 3-5 years but eventually Jackson should become a Blicavs level midfielder who can ruck, play wing, play CHB, tag the oppositions best players and run forward on them too. That's an incredible weapon. He only needs to be a B grade player in terms of skills and production to be worth an A+ wage because of how much better that makes your team.

Opposition have 2 gun key forwards or are super dangerous on quick counter attacks

- Jackson tags him

- Jackson pushes forward and creates a marking contest away from the interceptors
Lobb would be open.
Would fit your window perfectly and he is more than serviceable. Had a very consistent year but has gone missing in previous times. Was really surprised he wasn't used in the lj trade.

- Jackson tags him

Cannot like this enough, great breakdown of the actual benefits of bring Jackson in.

This trade will ruin Fremantle if it hasn't already.

Luke Jackson has done nothing to deserve a contract anywhere near the reported salary or number of years. He will never live up to this deal.

Meanwhile Fremantle lowballs its existing players to conserve cap space, loses several best 22 players as a result, and they've mortgaged their draft future in the process.

Statistically Luke Jackson as a ruckman is a massive downgrade on Sean Darcy.

Better hope he can play FF and kick 40 snags next year otherwise you can stick a fork in Freo for a decade o_O

Sadly I think you are right. It seems Freo became obsessed with getting him after last years grand final regardless of how average he was this year. That amazing quarter he played in the 2021 GF has bamboozled Freo into driving off the grand canyon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back