Skills Is it ok to swing elbows to break tackles?

Remove this Banner Ad

rustynut

Draftee
Jun 7, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
A girl in our junior team always breaks tackles by swinging her elbows from side to side.
She keeps them low but the other teams don't like it.
Does anyone know if it is ok for her to do this?

Last edited:
A girl in our junior team always breaks tackles by swinging her elbows from side to side.
She keeps them low but the other teams don't like it.
Does anyone know if it is ok for her to do this?

Depends what she contacts with her elbows. If she is hitting arms in the process it's probably ok.

If she gets anyone high definitely not obviously.

Probably something a good coach would work with on her technique as it has potential to go against her but depending on age and size it may just be a bad look breaking tackles from weaker opponents or poor tackling technique. Guarantee things would change with a couple of holding the ball, incorrect disposal calls.

If playing against her and knowing it's coming up as her as the opposition a week on the bags of solid wrap arounds or wrist grabs to try and prevent the swing. A grab and drop bringing the player down with your own weight is a great leveller for the charging bull style of play.

But to answer your question without any other context I think it's ok to do within the rules but just risky with potential to cause injury.

rustynut

Draftee
Jun 7, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Depends what she contacts with her elbows. If she is hitting arms in the process it's probably ok.

If she gets anyone high definitely not obviously.

Probably something a good coach would work with on her technique as it has potential to go against her but depending on age and size it may just be a bad look breaking tackles from weaker opponents or poor tackling technique. Guarantee things would change with a couple of holding the ball, incorrect disposal calls.

If playing against her and knowing it's coming up as her as the opposition a week on the bags of solid wrap arounds or wrist grabs to try and prevent the swing. A grab and drop bringing the player down with your own weight is a great leveller for the charging bull style of play.

But to answer your question without any other context I think it's ok to do within the rules but just risky with potential to cause injury.
Thanks for your reply. Its good to know. In junior footy with a young umpire they don't really call much. Just don't want to see any players getting hurt accidentally. Cheers

Thanks for your reply. Its good to know. In junior footy with a young umpire they don't really call much. Just don't want to see any players getting hurt accidentally. Cheers

That’s a very true comment that some of the younger umps might not have the confidence to pull that stuff up as it’s technical. At a junior grade it’s important for an ump to take control early and set the tone. Supporters from the sideline are protective of their youngsters so get pretty riled up at things considered not in the spirit of the game.

Don’t be afraid to speak up in a completely respectful and calm manner after a match and just question an interpretation or how they view a particular act. Might pay dividends for the next time you come up against that team.

I’ve only umpired a few matches and it’s not an easy gig but we make mistakes and always learning so feedback is good if done in a friendly manner.

Morbidly_Obese

All Australian
Mar 2, 2022
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Absolutely, I would be swinging for their head to make them think twice about tackling you.

ManInWhite

Ex ManInWhite
Apr 6, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
I find it interesting that instead of a coach being pro-active and trying to coach bad habits out of her game, it's preferred to do nothing and leave it to the umpires to deal with it?

Back